Group Fly + Robots = Fun

KC4800

Just discovered this. Yes its situational, I know. But in open areas, like patrolling in Crey's Folly, it is a blast (no pun intended).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

Group fly is also situationally useful in instanced maps where the robots pathing will often send them through additional groups. You can avoid this with group fly to position your robots where you like them to go without running around like chickens with their heads cut off

• Like 1

The only problem you're going to find is that the slightly slower speed of Group Fly and the jerky response of your pets will cause them to fall out (literally) of the Group Fly volume if you try to make any decent speed across a zone. Unless and until this gets worked out, you either have to stop at intervals to make sure you haven't lost anyone, or use tricks like putting yourself on follow to one of your pets, then using the Goto order on that pet to send it where you want to go, which keeps you from outrunning your pets.

I have noticed that. I do not really use Group Fly as a travel power per se, but in combat in certain situations, open outdoor maps for instance.  Keep the bots in the air attacking mobs below this works especially well with a deployed Faraday Cage giving us resistance and status protection.

• Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

+1 to this. I have Group Fly on all my MMs for tactical reasons, I run with a macro that announces it's use to the group. I've yet to run into any hate in HC for using it. Actually, a few times I've gotten appreciation from others, like on GW's patron arc last night, which is littered with Knives of Artemis and their caltrop spam. Glad to see others use it, even though it's rather situational and clunky. 

• Like 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

• 2 weeks later

Group Fly is great to utilize in the numerous huge Oranbega rooms.  It's just another resourceful combat tool. Not really a travel power at all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KC4800 said:

Group Fly is great to utilize in the numerous huge Oranbega rooms.  It's just another resourceful combat tool. Not really a travel power at all. 

This. I had a niche use, but a very important niche use, as it specifically counters a large annoyance for MMs. It is well worth the power pick once you have the time to squeeze it in. 

• Like 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

• 3 weeks later

Group Fly offers much more precise control than Fly (or Mystic Flight), and it is faster than Hover (for the same effort in slotting). I've only ever kept it on my Masterminds, but I really get a kick out of it (when solo, to avoid griefers).

• Like 1