What is hovertanking?

ToriasKane

Apologies for the newb question, but I'm trying to figure out how hovertanking works. I assume it's using Hover as a defensive toggle for some added defense and maneuverability, but given the topics where I see it referenced (soloing AVs, boss tactics, etc.), I'm wondering what else there is to it, if anything.

My understanding is that it involves Hovering and using ranged attacks longer than anything the target has to hold its attention and beat the target down, os using a range enhanced Taunt on a tanker to hold the enemy's attention while out of range from its attacks. 

I usually take leaping rather than flight on a tank.  Not something I do myself. 

• Thanks 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

Several bosses are only really effective in melee - Silver Mantis is one that springs to mind and she does fairly significant defence debuffs as well as hitting very hard. Hover allows you to stay out of range while controlling aggro. On a defence-based tanker, she can wear you down even with high debuff resistance. I had an easier time dealing with her using Hover on my defender than I have using any melee archetype as she spends most of the fight jogging from place to place unable to do anything other than her one ranged attack occasionally. 

Hover can also be used as a way of dealing with knockback on sets that don't mitigate it - it keeps you locked in place, which is very convenient. 

• Like 1
Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

While a legitimate tactic, hovertanking is, somewhat, an abuse/exploit of the limits of the game's creature AI.

As has been said though, in some cases, there really isn't a better/safer way to address some enemies.

There are myriad Tanks that can stand toe-to-toe with tower-buffed Lord Recluse.

But it's still safer, overall, to hovertank.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

For me it just means staying above melee range, so the (generally) harder hitting melee attacks are nullified, but keeping their attention with attacks and taunt. It's not really something I do as there are so many maps where it just isn't viable most of the time, like caves and Oranbega, but I suspect people only use it in specific circumstances (such as LR and SM as mentioned above), rather than as a normal everyday tactic.

Edited by CaptainLupis

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

6 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

While a legitimate tactic, hovertanking is, somewhat, an abuse/exploit of the limits of the game's creature AI.

As has been said though, in some cases, there really isn't a better/safer way to address some enemies.

There are myriad Tanks that can stand toe-to-toe with tower-buffed Lord Recluse.

But it's still safer, overall, to hovertank.

It would suggest it doesnt abuse the games AI, the AI does what its supposed to, it tries to get you with its attacks but if its attacks are mainly melee and you can survive its ranged attacks (of which every mob has at least one) then you are good to go.

Also the Recluse fight is a poorly designed affair from the start, and stupid.

yeah basically its the same as kiting in a sense and you  dont often have a choice,

one example is the Honoree in Mender Ramiels arc. the guy hits so hard in melee that he can actually stun a Dwarf form kheldian which is nigh impossible. 

only way my PB beat him was to kite him around while blasting in nova and human form  and staying out of range long enough for my heals and high powered defense clicks to be ready before i renegaged in melee

my Fire Fire FIre blaster had to run for her life taking psionic blasts all the time

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?