AoE Buffing QoL Changes

For those of us that played when the dinosaurs roamed Paragon City, we had to throw out speed boosts, force fields, etc to each of our party members. Now I'm not exactly sure when it changed whether it was during live or with Score's i25, but these types of powers have been made into AoE based powers that rapidly apply to the whole team.

The thing though that I think would like to see, and it might be a bit overpowered, but it would promote more freedom with playing support roles (especially solo) is if these powers were able to effect the caster as well. My logical assumption is based on the thought that if I can cast a forcefield around someone to protect them from harm, why can't I do that to myself?

That said, it could be viewed as overpowered, so perhaps there could be a happy medium that maybe buffs that effected the caster do so at a reduced efficiency? I'm not sure and realistically this probably won't come to pass, but I could see it being a beneficial quality of life improvement for the community.

What do you think?

I see major issues with this. You will have empathy defenders who can basically tank because they clear mind, fortitude, and Adrenaline Boost themselves.

Force Fielders who will be at the Defense cap and can't be mezzed....

Etc etc etc

I see major issues with this. You will have empathy defenders who can basically tank because they clear mind, fortitude, and Adrenaline Boost themselves.

Etc etc etc

Well I don't think all those buffs we're changed to aoe the whole team, the ones that were are the ones that I was thinking of. That said though, that's why I brought up something to reduce their efficiency possibly on the caster.

This will likely never happen, but just an idea that might attract people to the powersets especially so if they solo a lot (as I mained an empathy defender back in the day and there is only 3/9 powers in that whole set that effect the caster).

A simpler way of doing that code-wise (because it already exists with some of the newer powers) would be having adding that power also add a second power.  The second power could be self only and unenhanceable.  The downside of my solution would be for long recharge powers, but it would be fine for the short recharge area ones.

To be fair sets like Traps and Time can already do stuff like this (mmmm power boosted Farsight).

Defender Smash!

To be fair sets like Traps and Time can already do stuff like this (mmmm power boosted Farsight).

And those sets are designed around allowing the caster to benefit from those buffs.