New grav/energy dominator

Calzano

Energy Assault is very strong nowadays.  Gravity is usually the go to thematically for Energy but it's a little redundant on doms since Grav control offer more ranged damage picks but everything in Energy is better.  When they revamped Energy I made a Grav/Energy.  It's a very strong dom but after I hit 50 I instantly went and remade my Mind/Nrg dom from live.  

Dark/Energy might be pretty fun.  If you're in love with Gravity though Energy will definitely pair nicely.   

• Like 2

Mezmera summed it up nicely.

What's worth knowing is that both Gravity and Energy have an "extra damage" mechanic where certain powers do more damage when chained together, and the sets don't talk to each other. The two of them together probably don't do a ton of favors.

IMO the best current pairing for Gravity is either Psi or any of the sets with weak ranged damage (Earth, Radioactive, Electric). 

Below is a look at the damage-per-animation frame of Gravity Control laid up against Psi. You'll notice the Gravity powers out damage most of Psi Assault, so that pairing actually benefits. Lift hits almost as hard as Psi's melee attacks. Propel meanwhile outclasses either of Psi's two T2 blasts, Mental Blast or Subdue.

image.png.73826e30a25293430616a1ca71485d7c.png

Here's Grav/Fiery. Lift does about as much dpa as Fire Blast, but Propel actually does less.  Meanwhile Blaze outclasses any of those powers. This isn't to say this combo is bad, Lift and Propel are controls as well as a blast. 

image.png.db972a3242d77a73feeb277af04ec470.png

• Like 1

I have a grav/energy dom, and it's a shitload of fun, but I can see what Tex and Mezmera are saying. I almost have too many abilities to use--do I want to set up impact or do I want to set up for energy release? Sometimes more toys to play with is not always better, haha. I feel like a blaster/blapper on this combo, but yeah, wondering if I shouldn't find another way to pair both gravity and energy on my doms since there's not as much synergy as I initially thought.

• Like 1

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

I hate to come across as a huge min/maxer, but Gravity Control brings it out in me, so here's my piece:

It's always hard for me to recommend any Gravity Dominator because of what you give up compared to a similar Controller. All you really get out of the primary is a Mag 6 Stun in Wormhole, which is partly a wash since Wormhole's teleport mag isn't high enough to TP +3 bosses. You do gain some AoE and possibly a snipe, as well as mezz protection. But you lose the better Defense, Resist, Heal modifiers on Controllers and being a force multiplier on teams.

Because of Containment, Propel and Lift do more damage on a Controller than Dominator. Further increased by any buffs or debuffs you may have. 

IMO with Gravity when you consider a Dominator you should be looking first at Gravity/Storm, Gravity/Poison, Gravity/Trick Arrow, or Gravity/Traps. Or any support secondary. You will lose some damage but be a much stronger overall character. You can even take the /Earth APP if you miss melee action.

I do wish Gravity on Dominators would be improved.

This isn't to say you shouldn't play what you want. I have tons of concept characters. Even a Grav/Psi Dom who isn't bad. Just a prodding to look at the comparable Controller first to see if you can't get something you'd be happier with.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, oedipus_tex said:

I hate to come across as a huge min/maxer, but Gravity Control brings it out in me, so here's my piece:

It's always hard for me to recommend any Gravity Dominator because of what you give up compared to a similar Controller. All you really get out of the primary is a Mag 6 Stun in Wormhole, which is partly a wash since Wormhole's teleport mag isn't high enough to TP +3 bosses. You do gain some AoE and possibly a snipe, as well as mezz protection. But you lose the better Defense, Resist, Heal modifiers on Controllers and being a force multiplier on teams.

Because of Containment, Propel and Lift do more damage on a Controller than Dominator. Further increased by any buffs or debuffs you may have. 

IMO with Gravity when you consider a Dominator you should be looking first at Gravity/Storm, Gravity/Poison, Gravity/Trick Arrow, or Gravity/Traps. Or any support secondary. You will lose some damage but be a much stronger overall character. You can even take the /Earth APP if you miss melee action.

I do wish Gravity on Dominators would be improved.

This isn't to say you shouldn't play what you want. I have tons of concept characters. Even a Grav/Psi Dom who isn't bad. Just a prodding to look at the comparable Controller first to see if you can't get something you'd be happier with.

I completely understand what you're saying, but as a roleplayer at heart, I have had a really hard time so far coming up with a gravity/* controller concept that I like and will stick with. But after reading your posts here and my own experience with gravity on my dom, I do think I will have to give a grav controller a try again. Would be nice if impact worked with the assault secondaries.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster