Building a Crab Spider for Dummies

iWeasle

Hi all, semi-newbie here. I've played the game a fair bit but never at level 50, so I understand how the game works, but not how it works, if that makes sense.

I'm trying to figure out how I want the Crab Spider I'm leveling to look in the end, which I really have no idea on. With most toons I have more intuition but with this one, I'm not sure. Do I want attacks from the base Soldier list? Do I want to stack Crab and Wolf Armours (I read somewhere that their resistance bonus is negligible?)? Is Combat Training: Defensive worth it? How do the Grenades, Suppression, and Heavy Burst compare? There are so many abilities I want and nowhere near enough slots.

I'm not overly concerned with my build being the best, just viable and fun, and perhaps not too squishy. I'm also not asking for anyone to make the build for me, just some tips to help push me in the right direction.

What I know I'm after is stacking AS Tactics with the Tactics pool (is Vengeance good?) and getting all the Summons. I've been using the Sorcery pool for Flight/Teleportation, and used the Knockdown spell before the level 24 Respec, but I honestly don't know if there's space for a travel power. If not I can get by on Ninja Run but I would like it. I was also planning on taking Soul Mastery unless there's a good reason not to. Idk if it's practical or not but I want Omega Maneuver just because the concept of warping in a Doomsday Bomb makes me giggle.

The other thing is slotting. Oh gods, slotting. When my Warshade got AE Powerleveled into the 40s I started reading guides so I understand the basics, but I don't know what I need outside of "I will need so many End Reduction Enhancements for my toggles" and I really don't know about set bonuses. Any advice in that regard would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Do I want attacks from the base Soldier list?

Redraw is an issue on VEATs that you'll either find annoying or not care about at all. I'd be inclined to say you think about your character "concept" first and then build to that. Note that if you take ONE crab power, you'll get the backpack.

Do I want to stack Crab and Wolf Armours (I read somewhere that their resistance bonus is negligible?)?

The resist bonus is 3% smashing and lethal, 2% psi. They both offer mez protection that stacks. I'd take Crab and only take Wolf if you really don't know what else to get.

Is Combat Training: Defensive worth it?

It's a respectably high ranged defence boost.

How do the Grenades, Suppression, and Heavy Burst compare? There are so many abilities I want and nowhere near enough slots.

Because of the slots and the redraw, I'd recommend either leaning into Crab or Wolf attacks or setting up a minimalist attack chain for both "modes". You can always play around on Beta if you want to get a feel for what combat is like.

What I know I'm after is stacking AS Tactics with the Tactics pool (is Vengeance good?)

I like Vengeance - it's an "oh shit" power that you don't need until you really need it. The Leadership powers are quite endurance-intensive so don't rush into getting them until you get your endurance under control. I really like the last Leadership one as well because the endurance boost it gives you is good for keeping a team ticking along, but it's one I only ever pick up really late in levelling.

I've been using the Sorcery pool for Flight/Teleportation, and used the Knockdown spell before the level 24 Respec, but I honestly don't know if there's space for a travel power. If not I can get by on Ninja Run but I would like it.

There are a few flight powers in the P2W vendor, but note that they knock your toggles off. I personally made room for a travel power - it was that or a one-slot wonder power.

When my Warshade got AE Powerleveled into the 40s I started reading guides so I understand the basics, but I don't know what I need outside of "I will need so many End Reduction Enhancements for my toggles" and I really don't know about set bonuses. Any advice in that regard would be very much appreciated.

VEAT toggles are cheap, so you'll get more bang for your buck if you slot your main attack chain for end reduction. Also, don't feel like you have to take all the toggles straight away - get your endurance under control first. TT:Assault is a 15% unenhanceable base damage boost, which is less than popping a red inspiration, so that really can wait until after you're up and running.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

@iWeasle Welcome to the world of Spiders.  

Answers to some of your questions:

-  Do you want attacks from both Wolf and Crab lines? 

Generally, you'd want to pick one or the other because the redraw animation for the Wolf gun is not "free" like on other weapon ATs and it slows down your attack chain.  Either setup is very useable.  Generally, the Wolf gun single target attacks are faster animating, but have to deal with redraw, while the Crab single target attacks are slower animating but don't deal with redraw.  If you plan on using PPP attacks, Crab looks better because you're not constantly putting away and taking out your gun.  

- Do you want both Wolf and Crab armors? 

No, there are better options.  Take Crab only.  The unique +Res IOs give more resistance than Wolf Armor.  

- Do you want CT:Def?

Yes.  If you plan on operating at range, it provides a lot of range defense (7.5% base).  Even if you don't, it's still a great 1-slot pick, can slot a Luck of the Gambler and doesn't cost endurance.  You'll essentially need 5 Luck of the Gamblers to get perma-pets, so an easy access defense power like CT:D is worth it, just for that. 

- How do the AoEs compare?

Venom Grenade is the best attack in the whole AT.  Use it always, when ever it is available.  It debuffs resistance to all damage by 20%, resistance to Toxic damage by an additional 40% and still does a solid 0.9 scale damage on its own, in a very large AoE.  It is a monster.

Frag is also very good, and is deceptively powerful.  It does more scale damage than the Assault Rifle Blaster set M30 grenade, but in a smaller area, so some people are surprised by the distinction, having experience with it's twin.  It makes a great follow up to Venom Grenade in your AoE chain and is a great spot to slot a bunch of procs.  You definitely should slot a KB>KD proc in it though, otherwise it scatters enemies.

Heavy burst is a strong, deep cone with a reasonable animation.  If you're taking the Wolf attack route, you should take it.  

Suppression is a strong, deep and ridiculously wide cone, but has a very long animation.  If you're going the Crab attack route, you can definitely take it, and I like it for the cool factor, even if its animation makes it non-optimal.

- AS(?) Tactics + Tactics pool?  Do you mean Leadership pool and Tactical Training?

Either way, stacking the Leadership auras is part of the appeal for Crabs, but don't over do it, or else you'll run out of endurance constantly.  TT:Manuevers and TT:Leadership (the defense and +tohit) should be priority 1 and 2.  Next should be regular Maneuvers and TT:Assault, where I value Manuevers more.  Regular Assault would be priority 5, and I don't take it in my builds as it doesn't do enough for it's end drain. You should NOT take regular Tactics though.  The +tohit from both TT:L and Tactics is overkill in 99% of content and it would be a wasted power.  

- Travel power

I don't take one on my Crab.  Beast run + Mental Training + Sprint + both P2W jump packs + occasional flight jetpack when needed are more than enough, and I routinely beat people with travel powers to missions.  

- PPP

Soul Mastery is awesome.  Gloom is your best single target attack, Dark Obliteration is great and Darkest Night has it's uses.  The Widow pet is also good, but she's a melee pet and will run off to claw enemies, so she has a proclivity for dying.  I prefer Mu because the attacks are also very good and the Mu Striker is a ranged pet and sticks to you like glue.  

- Omega Manuever

I like it.  It may not be the most efficient due to it's recharge, but it's very solid at what it does and does a good job of keeping your pets alive by drawing alpha strikes.  Also a great spot to put the 6 Spider Bite ATOs because it doesn't really benefit from procs in other sets.

- Endurance

Slot the big end management 4 IOs, get both accolades, put an end mod or two in Stamina, slot some end redux in your attacks and keep your leadership toggles to a moderate level, and you should be fine.  A lot of Crabs make the mistake of running all 6 Leadership toggles, when one is basically overkill (Tactics) and another is inefficient (regular Assault) and then end up not being able to attack.  Keeping Venom Grenade active on the enemies is more effective than keeping Assault running, so standing around like a offense-less buff beacon isn't really helping anyone.  

Finally, I know you said you didn't want someone to build for you, but just in case it gives you some inspiration, my current main Crab build is below:

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Arachnos Soldier
Primary Power Set: Crab Spider Soldier
Secondary Power Set: Crab Spider Training
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Channelgun -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(3)
Level 1: Crab Spider Armor Upgrade -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 2: Longfang -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), GldJvl-Dam%(5), GldJvl-Acc/Dmg(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(7), TchofLadG-%Dam(9)
Level 4: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 6: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 8: Suppression -- SprDmnofA-Rchg/DmgFear%(A), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg(13), SprDmnofA-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), SprDmnofA-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprDmnofA-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 10: Tactical Training: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(17), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(19), ShlWal-Def(19), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(21), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 12: Venom Grenade -- Rgn-Knock%(A), Rgn-Dmg(21), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(25), Ann-ResDeb%(25)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(27)
Level 16: Kick -- Acc-I(A)
Level 18: Frag Grenade -- OvrFrc-Dam/KB(A), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(27), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(29), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(36)
Level 20: Tactical Training: Leadership -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 22: Mental Training -- Run-I(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(31), UnbGrd-ResDam(46)
Level 26: Fortification -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam(31), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(33), StdPrt-ResKB(33)
Level 28: Serum -- Prv-Absorb%(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(33), Prv-Heal/Rchg(34), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(34), Prv-Heal(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(36)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36)
Level 32: Omega Maneuver -- SprSpdBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprSpdBit-Dmg/Rchg(37), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg(37), SprSpdBit-Rchg/Global Toxic(39), SprSpdBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 35: Summon Spiderlings -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(39), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(40), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(40), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(42)
Level 38: Call Reinforcements -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(42), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(43), CaltoArm-+Def(Pets)(43), SlbAll-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43)
Level 41: Mu Lightning -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(45), Apc-Dmg(45), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Rchg(46), GldJvl-Dam%(46)
Level 44: Electrifying Fences -- Acc-I(A)
Level 47: Summon Striker -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(48), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(48), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), SlbAll-Dmg/Rchg(50), EdcoftheM-PetDef(50)
Level 49: Combat Training: Defensive -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Conditioning 
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(9), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(11)
Level 50: Musculature Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Warworks Core Superior Ally 
Level 50: Rebirth Radial Epiphany 
Level 50: Support Radial Embodiment

• Like 1

Hi all, semi-newbie here. I've played the game a fair bit but never at level 50, so I understand how the game works, but not how it works, if that makes sense.

I'm trying to figure out how I want the Crab Spider I'm leveling to look in the end, which I really have no idea on. With most toons I have more intuition but with this one, I'm not sure.

Aha! Fresh meat... I mean... recruit. Welcome to the brotherhood. If you've just rolled a spanking new spider, be warned: they are unlike most ATs, but are also very similar to most ATs (or more of combination of certain ATs), which makes them quite versatile and fun. They do have a wee bit of learning curve, but not too steep. One thing I'll mention is be flexible. You will have a "path choosing" at level 24. this means, don't be married to your build from day 1. build to get to 24, then once you've chosen your path, (Crab, I believe), that's the time you start investing in the build.

Do I want attacks from the base Soldier list? I'll back up a bit: As an SoA, you have 3 main choices: A huntsman (AR + Nades), Bane (Mace) or Crab (backpack). You can combine huntsman + bane or huntsman + crab, but you can't have a bane + crab. (incidentally, if you choose an alternative build as a crab in either build 1, 2 or 3, all your builds will have the backpack whether it is used or not.) As a crab, you can still use minimal mace through Patron Pool powers (Black Scorpion). But that's totally up to you.  Now, more towards your question. You can, but you don't have to. Some powers in the crab attacks are redundant with the huntsman (wolf) attacks like the toxic grenade and frag grenade--which you can only choose either the crab or the huntsman's, not both. Somebody mentioned an issue with animation and redraw. I've found that the trick to minimising redraw between attacks, is to chain up all similar weapon attacks (like venom nade-burst-frag from AR or venom nade-frag-suppression from the backpack). doing so will result in a more fluid attack uninterrupted by redraw. I suggest going full crab first. then when you have a respec available, try switching some powers. The slotting for them are basically the same and will accept the same IOs, so it's pretty much just choosing a flavour of how you want to kill the enemy.

Do I want to stack Crab and Wolf Armours (I read somewhere that their resistance bonus is negligible?)? Yes. Crab and Wolf armours are auto powers that cost no end. So use that to your advantage. It's arguable that the res is negligible, but what you want there is the status protection stack. every point counts. (e.g. you know the last bit of ITF when you have to kill Romy 3 times, each time he rezzes, people get mezzed? my crab doesn't).

Is Combat Training: Defensive worth it? pre 24 yes; post 24, no. It's ranged defence. You only want to build up range def if you're getting mezzed a lot, which you won't be. I deem it skippable, and in its place have taken Weave and double dipped in Leadership Maneuvers. Those two will have CT:Def benefits eclipsed.

How do the Grenades, Suppression, and Heavy Burst compare? There are so many abilities I want and nowhere near enough slots.

I'm not overly concerned with my build being the best, just viable and fun, and perhaps not too squishy. I'm also not asking for anyone to make the build for me, just some tips to help push me in the right direction. This I think, is a personal preference. both are "fun" if you're not too much into the stats (like me). My only advice is if you're going to get an AR power, go with 3 or 4-to minimise the jarring effect of redraw. So if you take burst, take both nades from Wolf as well, this will give you an opportunity to take other backback powers. Also, a spider will NEVER be too squishy. 😃  

What I know I'm after is stacking AS Tactics with the Tactics pool. I don't think double dipping in tactics is smart. The tactics from the tertiary Leadership pool is an end guzzler. Consider that vs the benefit you'll get from it, and I personally do not think it's a good trade off. Maneuvres and Assault are a different case. get both, if you can. (I strongly advice to 6-slot Gaussian in tactics, the set bonuses are AWESOME, and doing so will take care fo the end consumption). but in the end, it's your choice, and that itself makes it valid.

is Vengeance good? Some people use it really well, others like me are too slow to react when a teammate dies. Same with Victory Rush. I'm afraid I am in no position to comment on its effectiveness.

...getting all the Summons. Spiderlings, Reinforcements, Blaster (Black Scorpion PPP), Arachnos Lore Pet, Arachnos Heavy from Recluse's Victory. Spiders are cute and helpful, get as many as you can! Sounds like you're planning a crabbermind build. Be warned that these pets don't like to be ordered around like MM pets. but the are still effective, and most of your damage (and some control) will be provided by them. With a Tankermind Crab, I can solo a +3x8 ITF (only because +4 takes too long) with little trouble. and by solo, I mean all 7 of us--me and my spiders. 😃  

I've been using the Sorcery pool for Flight/Teleportation, and used the Knockdown spell before the level 24 Respec, but I honestly don't know if there's space for a travel power. If not I can get by on Ninja Run but I would like it. Idk if it's practical or not but I want Omega Maneuver just because the concept of warping in a Doomsday Bomb makes me giggle. I think the problem with SoAs and Widows is that they have so many good powers that it becomes hard to choose. You have to practise a bit of restraint and focus on the type of play style and build you want. prioritise those powers, and things should be fine. I built my crab to be a melee + range tankermind. the 4 melee attacks and 3 range attacks cycle fast enough that the chain is ready before the last one ended. On my huntsman, I got AR+Nades and Mu, and also have a very fast and fluid chain. On my bane, I only have 5 melee attacks that are quite slow, but effective. On all three of them, I just purchase the jetpack from P2W lady for travel. The point is, only you can say what's right for you. If you get your jollies from warping in OM, then go with what floats your goat, my man.

I was also planning on taking Soul Mastery unless there's a good reason not to. The only reason that I can think of is that she won't give you another pet spider... that and the fact that Ernesto Rodriguez is so insecure that he'll flip when he finds out. Other than that, holds and -to hit are nice. Besides, Ghost Widow rocks!

The other thing is slotting. Oh gods, slotting. When my Warshade got AE Powerleveled into the 40s I started reading guides so I understand the basics, but I don't know what I need outside of "I will need so many End Reduction Enhancements for my toggles" and I really don't know about set bonuses. Any advice in that regard would be very much appreciated. Take some time to browse the AH and get familiar with set bonuses. Having +max end or x% recovery can really help with end consumption instead of slotting for end redux. Also, some sets that are quite cheap will give you awesome bonuses. and you can start learning frankenslotting to maximise bonuses. Also, if you choose your set bonuses right you can build up ...say def and res... WHILE getting more damage/utility. In a way, they help you save on slots so you can then assign your slots for more value.

Enjoy your crab. I'm sure you'll do Lord Recluse proud.

For the Glory of Arachnos!

Edited by Six Six
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Six Six said:

Do I want to stack Crab and Wolf Armours (I read somewhere that their resistance bonus is negligible?)? Yes. Crab and Wolf armours are auto powers that cost no end. So use that to your advantage. It's arguable that the res is negligible, but what you want there is the status protection stack. every point counts. (e.g. you know the last bit of ITF when you have to kill Romy 3 times, each time he rezzes, people get mezzed? my crab doesn't).

Is Combat Training: Defensive worth it? pre 24 yes; post 24, no. It's ranged defence. You only want to build up range def if you're getting mezzed a lot, which you won't be. I deem it skippable, and in its place have taken Weave and double dipped in Leadership Maneuvers. Those two will have CT:Def benefits eclipsed.

Hard disagree on these points.  

1) Wolf armor adds 2 points of stun protection.  Fortification + Crab armor give 12.3 points together.  Rommies rez stun is 15 mag so if you're not getting stunned, it's because it missed, you broke LoS or you have a team buff, not because you resisted it.  14.3 and 12.3 are both getting stunned if it hits.  I consistently facetank the stun without Wolf Armor by just having overcapped defense.  

2) Speaking of overcapped defense, unless you take Agility Alpha (goodbye proc chances, never run Agility, its trash), you're not going to comfortably hit 50% defenses without CT:D. Ideally, you want Weave, CTD, both manuevers, both IOs, some set bonuses and whatever splashable defense you can get.  You'll want at least 5 defense powers if only for Gambler's slots.  

My Soldiers take both armors, but they are used to as 'slot-and-forgot' powers holding Global Resistance pieces. The exact placement of the pieces varies (on the 3 different builds available for my toon) depending on which which set bonuses I'm chasing elsewhere.

With Soldiers: I don't always go into the Fitness pool but when I do it is usually for Banes and not Crabs.

Wow, this is a lot to take in. Let me first say thank you all so much for taking the time for me 🙂There's a lot of good information here.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:39 AM, Omega-202 said:

@iWeasle Welcome to the world of Spiders.  

On 10/28/2020 at 8:09 AM, Six Six said:

Aha! Fresh meat... I mean... recruit. Welcome to the brotherhood.

Thank you kindly! It's an honour to serve.

... that and the fact that Ernesto Rodriguez is so insecure that he'll flip when he finds out. Other than that, holds and -to hit are nice. Besides, Ghost Widow rocks!

This sounds more like a benefit - being able to destabilize a potential competitor simply by ignoring him? Seems like a path to promotion...

And yes she does 😄 . (Like, she was totally cool with my level 14 ass helping a Fortunata conspire against here, that is surprisingly chill.)

I didn't know that there were so many different spider bots I could get though, it does seem a bit of a shame to break up the set...

I like the personality your breakdown shows, by the way.

On the advice:

On 10/28/2020 at 2:58 AM, Gulbasaur said:

You can always play around on Beta if you want to get a feel for what combat is like.

This actually sounds like a really good idea for figuring out some of the more complex mechanics, I should get the Beta client.

VEAT toggles are cheap, so you'll get more bang for your buck if you slot your main attack chain for end reduction. Also, don't feel like you have to take all the toggles straight away - get your endurance under control first. 

A lot of Crabs make the mistake of running all 6 Leadership toggles, when one is basically overkill (Tactics) and another is inefficient (regular Assault) and then end up not being able to attack.  Keeping Venom Grenade active on the enemies is more effective than keeping Assault running, so standing around like a offense-less buff beacon isn't really helping anyone.  

Thank you for explaining this, because that was a trap I was primed to walk into face first!

I don't think double dipping in tactics is smart. The tactics from the tertiary Leadership pool is an end guzzler.

- AS(?) Tactics + Tactics pool?  Do you mean Leadership pool and Tactical Training?

Sorry for the confusion, I should've checked I was using the right terminology. Worked out well though because while I just meant the Leadership Tertiary Pool and its Arachnos Soldier equivalent, that included Tactics, which is apparently not worth stacking.

I'll see if I can make room for Vengeance and Victory Rush. Hopefully my time as a Defender will help me stay aware enough to use them. I like panic buttons and making my friends better - why I'm after Leadership stacking in the first place. But, if Assault isn't really worth it and Tactics definitely isn't, that's a few slots I can free up for other things.

Redraw

redraw

redraw

Interesting. I wasn't sure if the redraw stuff actually took time or if it was all fluid like SWTOR. Good to know for all my builds.

After reading all the different summaries, I think I'm going to focus on Crab powers. They seem fun. I'll miss Pummel - the disorient saved me many times during leveling but hopefully I won't need that anymore and right now I'm pulling out a rifle just to smack people with it, which while amusing, seems inefficient.

I'll have to see how many I can fit in, but @Omega-202 thank you, your breakdown of the AoEs was very informative. I'll make sure to get Venom Grenade though.

The general consensus seems to be to skip the Travel Power and I'm okay with that. I can get my Sorcery Flair back with Soul Mastery 🙂 .

Its interesting seeing the disagreement on the Armours and CT:Def, I guess for now I'll just take two of them and see if I wind up having a spare slot. Though I certainly like the idea of auto resist for now I'll go with CT:Def because...

You'll essentially need 5 Luck of the Gamblers to get perma-pets, so an easy access defense power like CT:D is worth it, just for that. 

This is one Enhancement concept I do understand thanks to the Warshade. I wasn't planning on it but now that I know I can it's certainly tempting, even if sacrificing three powers is a big tradeoff. As I may have alluded to earlier, I like pets 🙂 . Two quick questions though

Level 4: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)

Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36)

In the sample build you gave (thank you very much by the way, it's helpful to have something to compare to, I just didn't want to ask too much), you had these for slotting Luck of the Gambler.

1) If I remember correctly my Warshade build used Combat Jumping, are there any other options worth considering?

2) You have two different Luck of the Gamblers slotted into Weave. If I need 5, and there's one in TT:Maneuvers, Maneuvers, CT:D, and Stealth, couldn't one of those be dropped if two can fit in Weave? Or more if we just put multiple in the one's I'm already getting?

In general though, to everyone, thank you very much for the advice on Enhancements, like I said, they're the biggest hole in my knowledge and this will really help me figure out something workable. I'm going to poke around the AH like @Six Six suggested, but I'll make sure to slot some End enhancements into my attacks, but that does raise a question.

Is there a golden ratio for damage to accuracy to endurance to secondary effect Enhancements when it comes to attacks?

I've been keeping Pummel slotted for Disorient because of the previously mentioned life saving, and other than that just mixing Damage and Accuracy but once I'm not just slotting whatever I mugged someone for, I'm not sure how much of each is a good idea, or even how many slots most attacks want.

Thank you all again, so much! You have been very helpful.

• Like 1

1) If I remember correctly my Warshade build used Combat Jumping, are there any other options worth considering?

CJ or Hover are easy wins, in my opinion. They add mobility and defence and they have a number of very good IO options. I slightly prefer hover because there are definitely times when being able to fly is useful. 

2) You have two different Luck of the Gamblers slotted into Weave. If I need 5, and there's one in TT:Maneuvers, Maneuvers, CT:D, and Stealth, couldn't one of those be dropped if two can fit in Weave? Or more if we just put multiple in the one's I'm already getting?

You can up to five of the same bonus before it stops working - here, the LOTG recharge bonus. LOTG is a set so it also has defence IOs, endurance reduction etc. It's not five LOTG, it's five of that specific bonus (effectively that one specific LOTG enhancement) that you get diminishing returns on. Having two in Weave gives you a 10% regeneration boost for the two matching ones.

For example, if you have six LOTG enhancements all in the same power that's fine because you can't have the exact same IO slotted in one power multiple times, but if you had the LOTG "increase recharge speed" IO slotted in six different powers, the bonus from the sixth wouldn't count. 

Is there a golden ratio for damage to accuracy to endurance to secondary effect Enhancements when it comes to attacks?

You get diminishing returns on having too much of the same thing, so you don't really want to go over +95 for damage, accuracy and end redux, +55% for defence and resist just from enhancements in a power. Bonuses from sets, global  bonuses, power bonuses etc don't count towards this limit - it's just the six enhancement slots in each power and how you use them.

"Normal" enhancements: 3 damage, 1 acc, 1 end redux, 1 secondary (or a proc). 

IO sets: Focus on everything but recharge except for mega slow powers. As a rule of thumb, you'll be hitting the limits on about five enhancements with the last one being a proc or taken for the set bonus. 

A very dense description of it is available here.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

50 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

CJ or Hover are easy wins, in my opinion. They add mobility and defence and they have a number of very good IO options. I slightly prefer hover because there are definitely times when being able to fly is useful. 

I usually take CJ on almost all of my toons not due to the defence it gives, but because of the end it doesn't suck out of you... that and your agility when jumping around during a fight is increased noticeably. Control of how your toon moves is often overlooked and unaccounted for in most stats, but it is equally important. I couldn't take CJ on my Crabbermind, and while I've learned to adjust, it is still a regret of mine. And I just purchase Jet Packs from P2W lady for travel.

I do take Hover+Flight or Sorcery Flight on certain toons that allow for their character to fly (I'm kinda strict like that with concept) and the same goes for Hover: it's good to be able to control your toon instead of banking/coasting around or just staying just out of reach while your aura chews at the mobs. Hover costs a little more end (19/s IIRC, the description lies) so you might want to address that with a slot or two.

To me, travel powers are a quality of life issue. They just make the game more fun, so I always take one.

Wolf Spider Armor won't make or break your build, but it's got some useful bonuses that don't require any extra enhancement slots to work. If you find yourself starved for slots, you might consider it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Six Six said:

I usually take CJ on almost all of my toons not due to the defence it gives, but because of the end it doesn't suck out of you... that and your agility when jumping around during a fight is increased noticeably.

I tend to take CJ on melee characters because being able to jump over enemies quickly and save a teammate is never not fun. No ranged attacks? Fire yourself at your enemies!

I do tend to take Hover, Flight and Afterburner if I can fit it in, though. I just like them. VEATs and Kheldians tend to be quite busy, though, so I get not feeling like you have space.

True. I just rationalise it in my head (concept-wise) that the crab armour and backpack is so dang heavy that it prevents him from jumping about like a nimble little bugger.

On my WS (which I'm still learning how to tri-form properly), I took someone's advice to get Hover so you don't end up TP-ing in mid air or misclicking into human/dwarf form, only to fall and break a tentacle. 😃 

Travel powers are also a QoLife issue for me. Ultimately the P2W options are cheap enough that you can do without, but I use my Travel power to hold one of the Global Universal Travel IOs (either Slow Resist or Knockback Protection). On many characters, Knockback resistance makes a big difference on low level TFs like Positron.

In the easy/cheap global Defense IO era, if I have an available power pick I will often add Combat Jumping at level 49 simply to slot a LotG Def/Global Recharge piece. I will typically have already taken Mystic Flight (The additional Teleport is useful in some areas, like Mayhem (side) Missions). I almost always have Ninja Run toggled on, which IIRC will de-toggle Combat Jumping. Occasionally I remember to turn it on when I am in lvl 50+ content. If my character has already taken a power pool (Flying or Leaping) I'll pick up the appropriate T1 to slot the LotG piece.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:38 AM, Gulbasaur said:

It's not five LOTG, it's five of that specific bonus (effectively that one specific LOTG enhancement) that you get diminishing returns on. Having two in Weave gives you a 10% regeneration boost for the two matching ones.

"Normal" enhancements: 3 damage, 1 acc, 1 end redux, 1 secondary (or a proc). 

Thank you very much! This will help a lot.

And based on the various input, I think I'll go with CJ. This toon may not be strictly melee, but they are pretty close ranged at this point, and with a lot of other drains on endurance.

Travel powers are definitely QoL, and I normally do try to grab them but with how much I seem to need for this build I don't think I can justify spending a power on one if I can get by without one, which it seems I can.