Reinstalling on new comp but cant get installed

LdyPirate

I am trying to redownload onto a new computer. I follow the steps and start tequila to download but it either gets part way and freezes, causes my internet to cut out, or gets done and all the files read Unable to download:xxxx file name a very long line of that. Ive tried several times tonight alone and it still isnt going on correctly. Do I need to make a NEW account here or is the one I started with ok? and what do I do about the above issues. I have Windows 10.

You can keep your account the same.  It sounds like a firewall or virus thingy is tripping you up.  Also try power cycling your modem and router, when I first got Wi-Fi it took a week for it and my computer to learn to get along properly.

Edit:  also you may try the new beta launcher...I dont have the linky cuz I am on my phone, but it may clear up some problems.

Edited by EmmySky

Do you still have the game files on your old pc? If so it might be worth trying to copy them into the folder you are installing to on the new pc and see if the installer picks them up, rather than trying to redownload them? I think that's what I did and it worked ok, it just downloaded the ones that needed updated, but it was a while ago, so I'm not absolutely certain I am remembering correctly. Worth a go if no one else has any more definite fixes at least.

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

• Game Master

HC Launcher will try to find the Tequila files based on the Registry entry it makes for the installer directory.  That probably won't happen on a new system where Tequila was never run before.  (I might be wrong about other approaches it takes... Number Six would know best.)  Since you did run it, you can copy your old system's Tequila folder into the current PC's Tequila folder and replace everything. 

Then I'd erase the Homecoming folder and reinstall it at the same place (HC Launcher & the HC Client it patches are 100% portable, so erasing the directory is the Uninstall method.)  It will detect the Tequila folder and prompt to use those files as the base and patch from there.

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

(Making sure to mark out any personal info)

Can you grab a screenshot of the system specs? You can use Winkey+Break (upper right area) to bring the window up. Also, what is your AV? Knowing your Router's Model and age might help too.

My current guesses?

• Wifi connection issue
    • A Windows 10 Network Reset wouldn't hurt
    • Check your cables on the Modem/Router and reboot if needed. I've replaced the modem with my own now because of network issues on their end (after they basically replaced everything from the street to the wall).
    • Switch to the 2.4 Ghz band if your signal strength is <4 arcs consistently. Moving to a closer location to the router would be a good test of this.
  • Weak hardware
    • It's possible that you're on a "light weight" device that just doesn't like doing what you're trying to do. Not too likely, but possible.
    • There may be a factory flaw in the wifi card or elsewhere on the motherboard that should be checked if possible.
    • There may be a factory flaw in the storage device (HDD/SSD) and it's already failing (slowly). This can cause corrupted files.
  • Device Security interference
    • I often find that people end up with Too much security on their device. Windows defender +1 3rd party AV is enough. Some only run with defender without issue as well. Defender itself doesn't usually complain too much about the launcher, but quite a few (all?) 3rd party AVs will silently crimp down on either the connection or the app itself. Look for notifications and hints in the Quarantine section of the AV for signs of this.

I know I've been pushing the hell out of this, but it seems to be a much nicer experience for most people. Try the new launcher as it's much simpler and less of a headache (so far) to troubleshoot. I'm still tweaking the related post (new info provided), but it's more than enough to get you running save the above issues.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)