Elec/Bio (eb/bio) - help?

brasilgringo

Toying with the idea of a sent, and elec -- given everyone says elec is relatively close to fire in damage, and bio makes MOAR DAMGAGE.

Picked up a build from a post here (sorry! forget who) and modified it a little.  Looks like bio is mainly about staying in offensive opportunity for the +dmg while having middle-ground def and resists offset by the heal and absorb - so chasing recharge and damage, instead of soft-caps for def or res caps?

Curous how people feel about the damage overall? Is it Corruptor level but not blaster/stalker/scrapper level?  I have a Fire/Time corr and he plays well, just not off the damage charts.

Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Electrical Blast
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Charged Bolts -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Inexhaustible -- PwrTrns-EndMod(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(9)
Level 4: Environmental Adaptation -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(11), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(13), ShlWal-Def(13), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(15), Ksm-ToHit+(15)
Level 6: Ball Lightning -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17), Ann-ResDeb%(17), PstBls-Dam%(19), JvlVll-Dam%(19), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(21)
Level 8: Zapping Bolt -- Apc-Acc/Rchg(A), Apc-Dmg(21), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Apc-Dam%(25), GldJvl-Dam%(25)
Level 10: Adaptation
Level 12: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(27)
Level 14: Tesla Cage -- GldJvl-Acc/Dmg(A), GldJvl-Dam%(27), NrnSht-Dam%(29), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(29), GldNet-Dam%(31), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(31)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(33), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(33), Pnc-Heal(33)
Level 18: Voltaic Sentinel -- SlbAll-Dmg/EndRdx(A), SlbAll-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SlbAll-Acc/Rchg(34), SlbAll-Build%(34), SlbAll-Dmg(36)
Level 20: Rebuild DNA -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(36), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(36), Prv-Heal/Rchg(37), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(37), Prv-Absorb%(37)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(39)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(39)
Level 28: Athletic Regulation -- Flight-I(A)
Level 30: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Thunderous Blast -- SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(42)
Level 35: Genomic Evolution -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(42), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%(43)
Level 38: Mind Probe -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(45), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(46)
Level 41: Dominate -- UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(A), UnbCns-Dam%(43), NrnSht-Dam%(46), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(48), GldJvl-Dam%(48), Dcm-Build%(48)
Level 44: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(46)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(50), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 49: Parasitic Leech -- NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Opportunity
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), RgnTss-Regen+(11)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 10: Defensive Adaptation
Level 10: Efficient Adaptation
Level 10: Offensive Adaptation
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
------------

• Like 1

/raisehand

That's essentially mine.

If you want, you can eek out some slots by taking one out of Aim, taking Kismet out of Environmental Adaptation, and one out of Health and drop them into boxing and get the 4-slot for Kinetic Combat for another 3.75% S/L. The +6% hit from Kismet isn't really needed unless you plan on exemping down frequently. The recharge in Aim is a nominal increase in damage at best when compared to the Gaussian proc. Another ability willing to give up slots is Voltaic Sentinel since the 5-slot isn't really helping a lot.

Otherwise the build is as optimized for damage output as I could get it without making massive sacrifices in defense. Ele/Bio can be made to be capped out on defenses f you want, but for the inverse where you're making massive sacrifices in offense. Even in that case, it still allows for more damage output than the other secondaries.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, underfyre said:

/raisehand

That's essentially mine.

If you want, you can eek out some slots by taking one out of Aim, taking Kismet out of Environmental Adaptation, and one out of Health and drop them into boxing and get the 4-slot for Kinetic Combat for another 3.75% S/L. The +6% hit from Kismet isn't really needed unless you plan on exemping down frequently. The recharge in Aim is a nominal increase in damage at best when compared to the Gaussian proc. Another ability willing to give up slots is Voltaic Sentinel since the 5-slot isn't really helping a lot.

Otherwise the build is as optimized for damage output as I could get it without making massive sacrifices in defense. Ele/Bio can be made to be capped out on defenses f you want, but for the inverse where you're making massive sacrifices in offense. Even in that case, it still allows for more damage output than the other secondaries.

Ah yes, that's it @underfyre ... credit where it's due!  (From this thread: 

My main tweaks to it, I think, were to put back Athletic Regulation instead of Fly, since people said you can cap move speed with Ninja Run and also that AR gives you fly-speed Hover. I also think i may have snuck in the scaling resist IO from Reactive Defenses.  I did mess around with 5-slotting a different pet set intstead of Soulbound, for example Call To Arms (in the version below), which with 5 slots still gives Recovery, HP, 6.25% recharge time and 3.75% S/L resistance (to bump the build close to 55% S/L resistance).  I took some of your adivce and got rid of Kismet and pulled slots from health etc. to 4-slot boxing for S/L % def, which now stands overall at ~30%.  

MIDS says the overall % Regen dropped from 500% to 460%, but given what was picked up in S/L % def and Res, maybe that's OK. 

What do you think?  I had figured the Kismet was necessary due to the low accuracy slotting in some of the proc'd attacks like Dominate (which shows ~98% acc vs. +4s on my MIDS) and Tesla Cage (77.7% vs. +4s) and even Ball Lightining.  Somehow I kept a slot for Kismet in CJ, I think I gave up a def IO to do it but the impact on overall def from CJ was like 0.5%.   Anyway, you're revised build is below.  Thanks again for the feedback.

On the juice-vs-squeeze question, how does the damage feel to you -- competitive with Corrputor if not (Fire) blaster?  I guess that's the reall question behind this post - the build looks *reasonably* surivivable and I'm just wondering if playing it is going to feel good or a slog, from a dps-contribution point of view and "big orange numbers" (with TB up a lot). 

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Sentinel
Primary Power Set: Electrical Blast
Secondary Power Set: Bio Armor
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Charged Bolts -- SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprOppStr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprOppStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Hardened Carapace -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Inexhaustible -- PwrTrns-EndMod(A), PwrTrns-+Heal(9)
Level 4: Environmental Adaptation -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(11), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(11), ShlWal-Def(13), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(13), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 6: Ball Lightning -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Ann-ResDeb%(15), PstBls-Dam%(17), JvlVll-Dam%(17), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(19)
Level 8: Zapping Bolt -- Apc-Acc/Rchg(A), Apc-Dmg(19), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Apc-Dam%(23), GldJvl-Dam%(23)
Level 10: Adaptation 
Level 12: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 14: Tesla Cage -- GldJvl-Acc/Dmg(A), GldJvl-Dam%(25), NrnSht-Dam%(25), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(27), GldNet-Dam%(27), SprOppStr-Rchg/+Opportunity(29)
Level 16: Ablative Carapace -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(31), Pnc-Heal(31)
Level 18: Voltaic Sentinel -- CaltoArm-Acc/Rchg(A), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg(33), CaltoArm-Dmg/EndRdx(33), CaltoArm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), CaltoArm-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 20: Rebuild DNA -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(34), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(34), Prv-Heal/Rchg(36), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(36), Prv-Absorb%(36)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(37)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(37)
Level 26: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 28: Athletic Regulation -- Flight-I(A)
Level 30: Boxing -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(37), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(39), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 32: Thunderous Blast -- SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg(A), SprSntWar-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprSntWar-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprSntWar-Rchg/+Absorb(42)
Level 35: Genomic Evolution -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(42), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(42), UnbGrd-Max HP%(43)
Level 38: Mind Probe -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(45), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(45)
Level 41: Dominate -- UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(A), UnbCns-Dam%(46), NrnSht-Dam%(46), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(46), GldJvl-Dam%(48), Dcm-Build%(48)
Level 44: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(48)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def(50), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(50)
Level 49: Parasitic Leech -- NmnCnv-Heal/Rchg(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Opportunity 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 10: Defensive Adaptation 
Level 10: Efficient Adaptation 
Level 10: Offensive Adaptation 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
------------

Edited by brasilgringo
  • Like 2

Actually you're right about Kismet. With LotG no longer 4-slotted the extra 9% accuracy that was keeping everyone maxed out is no longer there. With regards to keeping up with Blaster damage, this build is the theoretical cap on Sentinel single target output, and it does ~76% of a defensively capped Blaster's damage. I can't really speak for Corruptor damage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

So you simply won't get the same results with the other pool powers with regards to sheer damage output. But output can be damned, we have a theme to work with. So with electricity in mind, you actually have Mu Mastery to work with as well.

To maintain the same defenses, you would have to go with Electricity to get the set bonus from Blistering Cold in Havoc Punch. With regards to my spreadsheet, I'm not 100% sure on the damage output of Lightning Field. Now that I think about it, I probably have to fix it. Anyway, you can also take it and put in Avalanche for 2.5% more S/L defense, which you'll probably need if you want to take advantage of Lightning Field. Or you can also just proc it out, that stun from Energy Manipulator included, for what should be some pretty solid aoe dps. The stun would have a ~17% proc chance and can account for some defenses.

For a similar rotational feel, you can go with Mu Mastery and get Electric Shackles and slot it the exact same way as Dominate. You'll have to slot Thunder Strike or Electrifying Fences in some manner to compensate for that 5% S/L defense. You can put Avalanche in Thunder Strike for 2.5%, which is better than nothing. You can just shrug it off and put Ragnarok in Electrifying Fences/Static Discharge for another 10% recharge.

You can do a ton of stuff really. Those are just a few ideas. If you only want to wiggle out those 2 powers, the foundation is fairly solid.

So I've been testing this out a bit after hitting 50 and IO'ing out per the build above (not cheap).  I don't have Incarnate powers slotted yet.  

My initial sense is that the set (elec blast) is *very* fluid on Sentinels ... the ST attacks and even Ball Lightining all activate very quickly, and are easily chained, and Ball Lightining seems to have a *very* fast recharge (MIDS shows it at 5.7 seconds in my build, but it feels faster in-game, could just be perception).  This is a big plus for me as I don't like slow animations .... I have a DP/MC blaster I've been testing out, and the delay on Dual Wield and Executioner's Shot is offputtting (esp. vs my Fire/Time corr where the fire blasts also animate very quickly).  

That said -- and honestly this may be due to running with +4 mobs to test, w/o incarnate shift -- the damage does seem a bit lower than hoped.  Especially on the Nuke, but I think (from what I've read) Sentinel nukes have lower base damage in exchange for their higher recharge.  I'm starting to look at Thunderous Blast more as another big/strong AOE that's up every fight (sometimes twice) vs a kill-most button that can happen with, say, Inferno on my Fire/time corr.   I guess that's fine (the tradeoff between dmg and recharge), I just need to get used to it.  That said, on the defense side, I was definitely one of the only folks left standing (erm, hovering) several times during my PI mish runs in teams (at +4) .. the regen / def / absorb and other tools are pretty nice.

Anyone have a good keybind for Ablative Carpace?  I read someone had bound it to their W key so each time they moved forward, and the power was avail, it would trigger.  That could be useful.

Is Parasitic Leech really a cone?  It says PBAOE in Mids but when I've been using it, the animation seems to suggest its a cone (the dark beams that come back to you from mobs hit).

Edited by brasilgringo

4 hours ago, brasilgringo said:

Is Parasitic Leech really a cone?  It says PBAOE in Mids but when I've been using it, the animation seems to suggest its a cone (the dark beams that come back to you from mobs hit).

Yeah, it's a cone with a 90 degree arc and a 90 ft radius, but a 5 target cap. It'll hit most everything in front of you.

• Like 1

When I see people choose a Sent and go "omg I want all the DPS" I kind of sigh a bit.

You are choosing the wrong AT honestly if DPS is your goal. I absolutely ADORE the sentinel AT but I don't play it like a gimped blaster. Yes Sent has faster recharge on certain powers... but its still not a blaster. If you want blaster with faster recharge, there is some alpha slots you can go for....

Everlasting
Light Star character series
Twink character series

On 11/20/2020 at 9:10 AM, DanaDark said:

When I see people choose a Sent and go "omg I want all the DPS" I kind of sigh a bit.

You are choosing the wrong AT honestly if DPS is your goal. I absolutely ADORE the sentinel AT but I don't play it like a gimped blaster. Yes Sent has faster recharge on certain powers... but its still not a blaster. If you want blaster with faster recharge, there is some alpha slots you can go for....

How would you describe the Sent then, if not a gimped / more survivable blaster?  A ranged, gimped scrapper?  I do have a hard time figuring out what the AT is supposed to be.  The damage feels lower than my fire/time corr, but the Sent is way safer to play.  The -res mechanic is pretty iffy the way it has been implemented.

38 minutes ago, brasilgringo said:

The -res mechanic is pretty iffy the way it has been implemented.

The entire "Offensive Opportunity" mechanic is iffy since it doesn't scale with you. The idea was that you match Scrapper damage when unenchanced. Which is nice, but once his 100 damage is now 200 damage and your 100 damage is 160 damage, it's much less nice.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 10:15 PM, brasilgringo said:

How would you describe the Sent then, if not a gimped / more survivable blaster?  A ranged, gimped scrapper?  I do have a hard time figuring out what the AT is supposed to be.  The damage feels lower than my fire/time corr, but the Sent is way safer to play.  The -res mechanic is pretty iffy the way it has been implemented.

With HC’s Sustain powers for Blasters, and the ability to easily softcap most any blaster builds to Range, S/L, etc.....Blaster’s are survivable “enough” for almost any content.  I’ve solo’d an ITF at +3/x8 and I know many others have done it at +4/x8 on a Blaster.  So yes, a Sent is more like a gimped Scrapper with Ranged attacks.    

I’ve got a Fire/Time Corr, a Fire/Storm Corr, a Fire/Rad/Dark Sent, a DP/SR/Ninja Sent and a DP/Regen/Ninja Sent.  Sentinels don’t rival almost any of my Corruptor builds.  And they certainly don’t rival my Blasters or Scrappers for DPS.  The Fire/Rad/Dark Sent is likely the most powerful of the bunch, quite capable of tanking and killing everything in the spawn.  The Sentinel damage output is just unacceptably low in my opinion.  I know the Devs have said as much as well, and also claimed that Sents may eventually rival Scrapper levels of damage.  At that point, I’d literally consider them a Ranged Scrapper, and I’m betting if/when that ever happens, the base recharge of all attacks will be increased to offset the improvements in raw damage as well.

2 hours ago, Crysis said:

The Sentinel damage output is just unacceptably low in my opinion.  I know the Devs have said as much as well, and also claimed that Sents may eventually rival Scrapper levels of damage.

Sentinel damage is acceptably adequate, the power creep on every other AT is high. So hopefully everyone else gets reigned into Sentinel levels and not Sents getting boosted, the game is too easy as it is.

43 minutes ago, underfyre said:

Sentinel damage is acceptably adequate, the power creep on every other AT is high. So hopefully everyone else gets reigned into Sentinel levels and not Sents getting boosted, the game is too easy as it is.

Perhaps.  But I think knowing the Dev team we have now it would be much easier to boost Sent damage multiplier and shrink recharge.  The aggro limit for Sents is almost as big of a detriment for DPS as is our lower damage levels.

What I have found acceptable for certain Sentinel builds is the abundance of PbAOE damage powers, which augments a melee oriented AT.  DP/SR/Ninja has a couple of good PbAOE powers as does Fire/Rad between Inferno and Ground Zero.  Alpha spawn killers seems to be the Sents normal role with these two builds although neither can hold aggro worth a crap...not that they need to once said spawn has been leveled.

• 3 weeks later