Planning a return to fire blasting.

DocRadio

Back in 2004 my first toon was a fire/fire blaster. He was my main, and life for blasters was tougher. Most of the secondaries we're meh, and I really didn't understand the effectiveness of using melee attacks to round out my damage. Now things have changed. Blasters have sustains, ancillary powersets, incarnate unlocks and decent secondaries. I just got a Rad/Atomic build to 50, and it was fairly painless. Since my return to CoH my main focus has been the sentinel class. I love my Fire/Fire/Fire Sentinel, but some part of me wants to re-build my first main but with all the new bells and whistles. The problem is given all of the available choices I feel somewhat paralyzed. Do I maximize defense? And if so against what damage types? Do I take clarion, rune of protection, or both? How does recharge fit into the picture? Building the sentinel was easy. I have damage mitigation and a self heal baked right in. Status effects are a non-issue so I could focus on re-charge and boosting the respectable but sub-blaster damage. A blaster build has to be more focused. My Rad/Atomic blaster has a ton of control to rely on but I'm going to have to make some major changes to deal with the late game. The Fire blaster will have MUCH less control, so I'm going to have to make up for that in defense. But honestly I don't know how to build a defensive blaster. Not really. Every time I try I come up with a blaster with impressive resistances (like my Rad/Atomic), which is fine when you can control the pace of battle by locking down threats. A fire/fire blaster only has the ultimate sanction (kills) for hard control.

I was hoping someone might give me a few build ideas. Here's a few starting parameters.

Primary: Fire

Secondary: Fire (I know fire amounts to... just more damage and not a ton of utility but...... reasons*)

Epic: I'm open to suggestion. In the past I stuck with fire for thematic reasons, now utility is the focus.

I'd like some help with status effects. Protection over resistance of course. I'm okay with using steadfast KB protection instead of investing heavily in the leaping power pool.

I'm okay with investing in purples.

I love having a lot of recharge, but in this case I'm willing to trade recharge for survivability (defense).

I really appreciate any help that the community can provide.

Edited by DocRadio

You'll see quite a few good fire/fire builds in this recent thread, including the one I went with myself 

For status protection, you'll see that several of these builds use rune of protection. You can always solve it with clarion destiny of course if you prefer. There are some more offensive optimized and defensive builds discussed.

I've been playing Blasters, Doms, and Corrs a lot with a healthy mix of range and melee. On most of them, I don't take Rune of protection. On some, I don't even build for defense and res, just cj, tough and weave with just scaling IO and plain end redux on the fighting pool. Surprisingly, I don't get mezzed that much. When I do, it doesn't last long and I still attack with t1, t2 primary and t1 secondary. I do make it a point to build for range def set bonuses because that's how mez gets to you. And I make sire to aleays have a purple skittle or two handy in the insp tray. 

• 1 month later

If you go fire mastery for your epic and take bonfire, you’d be surprised just how much control and damage mitigation you can get. Between bonfire (with knockdown) and hot feet, mobs barely get an attack away before they are burned into a heap on the ground. 

I took the new combat teleport to make it even more fun too. Start out with dropping a bonfire into middle of mob, combat TP in on top of it, drop burn, inferno, fireball, fire sword circle, maybe a bit of Rain of Fire or combustion. Whatever tickles your fancy really. Then of course you have your blaze and blazing bolt to finish off the runners and stragglers. 

In terms of defence, I went with Ranged cap, but only as I also love a bit of hover-blasting when in teams. 

Whichever way you choose to go though with fire you can’t go wrong. Yeah, you’ll take damage and occasionally get in over your head and face plant, but that’s all part of the fun. Way I see it, Rise of the Phoenix is just another AoE. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 4:10 AM, Onlyasandwich said:

You'll see quite a few good fire/fire builds in this recent thread, including the one I went with myself 

For status protection, you'll see that several of these builds use rune of protection. You can always solve it with clarion destiny of course if you prefer. There are some more offensive optimized and defensive builds discussed.

where can i find the thread?