Plea for help from tank gurus: Underperforming /Claws

Bodhivajra

Folks:

I recently tried to make a high-damage tank for +4 AVs. He's SR/Claws, because that seemed like a simple way to get high enough recharge to run what seemed to me like the best attack chain.

However! Having more or less finished his build, I found his pylon time was abysmal -- I stopped watching the clock, but it was around ten minutes -- and he couldn't overcome the regen of +4 Marauder or Nightstar. 

What's going on here? The character has a reliable global recharge of 202.5%, increased by the Ouroboros day job and/or T3 Ageless. He's got a global damage bonus of 18%, obviously increased by Focus. He's running Followup/Focus/Slash, not quite gapless but close enough (I think). He's running T3 Musculature core.

Slotting for his main attacks is Superior Might of the Tanker on Followup (all except Acc/Dam) plus the Gaussian's proc, Apocalypse on Focus (all except Dam) plus the Superior Gauntleted Fist proc, and Hecatomb on Slash (all except Dam), plus the Achilles' Heel proc.

What am I doing wrong? Help me, Forum-Wan! You're my only hope!

-Bodhi

P.S.: I fear I'm a luddite and don't use Mids, so I can't post a build. Happy to give more details if it would help the critique.

What Interface are ya running, if I might ask?  That’s a super important part of AV killing, as DPS is only half the battle.

The other big factor is managing AV regen with the temp power Envenomed Daggers and/or Degenerative Interface.

Against AVs with huge health, the -HP on Degenerative makes a big difference in the AVs health pool (which regen is calculated off of).

You’re gonna need a T3 Degenerative Interface or better to really start hosing AVs and Pylons.

Thanks! He was running T1 Degenerative at the time of the test; the speed of attacks ensured that the debuff was pretty much constant, judging by visual effects. That's not a perfect judgment, though, and I will certainly try again after I've ground up the mats for T3!

I have to confess, though, it still feels like the raw damage is too low for what an optimal Claws attack chain ought to be delivering, regardless of associated debuffs. Maybe my expectations are just distorted. He's fine with lower-level AVs, but that +4 setting is just a wall right now.

--B

• 1 month later
On 12/21/2020 at 10:09 PM, Bodhivajra said:

Thanks! He was running T1 Degenerative at the time of the test; the speed of attacks ensured that the debuff was pretty much constant, judging by visual effects. That's not a perfect judgment, though, and I will certainly try again after I've ground up the mats for T3!

I have to confess, though, it still feels like the raw damage is too low for what an optimal Claws attack chain ought to be delivering, regardless of associated debuffs. Maybe my expectations are just distorted. He's fine with lower-level AVs, but that +4 setting is just a wall right now.

--B

We'd need a build to see what you were using or what could use fixing. I'm going to guess a big lack of procs in the attacks even though SR does not help (with pylons) either.

The best DPS I've mustered on my sr/claws tank comes from the following:

ST chain is Followup, Focus, Slash, repeat.

T4 Musculature Core

T4 Degen Core

T4 Assault Core

T4 Pyronic Core

Maybe 4-4.5min pylon times. Haven't done one in a while.

The main problem with SR is that it doesn't buff damage at all.

My bio/claws tank does much better just as my claws/bio scrapper greatly out DPSes my claws/sr scrapper.

• Like 1