Why is Ice Melee > Frost so much worse on Stalkers than other ATs?

Draeth Darkstar

I was just looking over the Stalker primary damage numbers and noticed that Frost is dramatically weaker than it should be based on the other Archetypes that have it.

• Stalker: 95.55 damage (42.09 DPA).
  • Scrappers: 146.96 damage (64.74 DPA).
  • Tanker: 124.10 damage (54.67 DPA).
  • Brute: 97.97 damage (43.16 DPA).

The power has the same recharge (11.0s), activation time (2.27s), endurance cost (11.02), and area (10 ft. radius, 90 degree arc, 10 targets max) on all Archetypes (except that the Tanker version has 16 targets max).

As the Stalker has the second-highest damage scale (1.0) of these 4 archetypes, Frost should be doing 130.63 damage for Stalkers if I'm doing my math right. I know Stalkers often have less access to AoE powers, but as far as I knew, they don't get any kind of straight up damage penalty to the ones they get, normally.

Edited by Draeth Darkstar
  • Like 1

@Draeth Darkstar

Virtue and Freedom Survivor

If you are looking in game it is probably adding the damage for fiery embrace, or some portion of critical damage for the scrappers.

Lots of the power displays are showing inaccurate numbers these days under total damage.

For instance: 

Tank is actually 6 ticks of 14.26 = 85.5 damage

50 minutes ago, Frosticus said:

If you are looking in game it is probably adding the damage for fiery embrace, or some portion of critical damage for the scrappers.

Lots of the power displays are showing inaccurate numbers these days under total damage.

For instance: 

If it was Fiery Embrace or crit discrepancy, all of the powers should be very off, but Frost is the only one that shows a number wildly out of line from the other ATs.

@Draeth Darkstar

6 hours ago, Frosticus said:

For instance: 

Exactly what it appears to be from what I can see.  Those total summary numbers are very inconsistent and have needed to be fixed for a long time.  Makes it a pain for me to compare what corrupters can do as well as all of those assume 100% scourge, which is silly.

Okay, I looked this up in the powers API.

First of all, Frozen Aura has a grant assassin's focus effect group.  In fact, a 100% chance one.  However, it's flagged "main target only," which I don't understand how that would affect a PBAoE power, which has no main target as far as I know?  It looks to me like the intent is to have there be a 100% chance of Frozen Aura granting one and only one stack of Assassin's focus.  If it's not, then that looks like a bug to me.

Second, Frost on Stalkers does 6 ticks of 15.01 damage

Frost on Scrappers does 6 ticks of 16.89 damage

Frost on Brutes does 6 ticks of 11.26 damage

Anything else shown in the in-game detailed info window looks very strongly to me like a display error.  All other effect groups are either non-damage, PVP, crits, or fiery embrace.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2021 at 10:30 PM, aethereal said:

Okay, I looked this up in the powers API.

First of all, Frozen Aura has a grant assassin's focus effect group.  In fact, a 100% chance one.  However, it's flagged "main target only," which I don't understand how that would affect a PBAoE power, which has no main target as far as I know?  It looks to me like the intent is to have there be a 100% chance of Frozen Aura granting one and only one stack of Assassin's focus.  If it's not, then that looks like a bug to me.

Second, Frost on Stalkers does 6 ticks of 15.01 damage

Frost on Scrappers does 6 ticks of 16.89 damage

Frost on Brutes does 6 ticks of 11.26 damage

Anything else shown in the in-game detailed info window looks very strongly to me like a display error.  All other effect groups are either non-damage, PVP, crits, or fiery embrace.

Thank you for investigating! It's such a headache figuring out how things work when the in-game information lies to you.

• Like 1

@Draeth Darkstar