Fire/EM: the Brunker V2.

Sovera

This is a cross post from another thread, but those interested in a Fire/EM Tanker won't be looking for it in a Fire/Claws builds so I am giving it its own crib:

So, with the changes to EM it behooved me to give it a try. I leveled a(nother) Fire Armor/Energy Melee and soloed it through the different TFs to 50 after an initial boost to level 20.

Spoiler

Overall it was not a bad trip. It is a bit clunky with nothing worthwhile to spend Energy Focus all the way to level 38 but Total Focus takes damage procs very well (90% chance of them proccing with the leveling build) so it was common to one shot +0 minions as I went. I should have picked Energy Punch to fill the gaps as I leveled but ended just taking Barrage, Bone Smasher and Total Focus. Most of the time Bone Smasher and Barrage feel superfluous as they fail to kill an enemy and then either Burn or TF are back up and its overkill, meaning might as well have stopped pressing buttons and waited. Gloom opened at 35 and then Energy Transfer. I am not particularly thrilled by Gloom as the DoT usually goes to waste with me hitting the mob again to be sure it dies, but it's great for enemies that live a bit longer. It suffers from the same problem regarding TF/Burn.

I cannot say I really felt the power of EM while leveling. TF triggering the procs reliably and being a nice chunky damage was the highlight but base slotted ET is still a bit meh despite all the praises. As usual Burn spackled over the shortcomings with it serving both as an AoE prop for Whirwind Hands as well as a second heavy hitter besides Total Focus.

I soloed Posi 1 and 2 at +0x6 (Vhaz hurt), then Synapse at 1x8 (Clockwork do not) with Whirlwind Hands + Burn carrying the build. I continued through Yin, where ez mode started since I could alternate Build-Up and Fiery Embrace melting each spawn as they came, then Citadel and then Manticore, all still at +1x8 with the last AV(s) from Manti being a slog. They always are though, but EM failed to make it faster and the CC was unreliable in preventing PPs from T9ing.

I reached 50 mid ways through Numina and decided to quit the TF, respec, then pick it up again. With all the damage procs and big boy sets in place EM finally got to shine and I could feel that extra damage the set is supposed to have.

What then happened is that I got to the Perez Park mission where we fight CoT and then spent a very miserable three minutes fighting two packs of mobs while my accuracy was floored. Thank the previous god devs who had the enemy AI kindly turn off the Darkest Night toggle every once in a while so that we can finally hit them. This was such a bad experience I decided to respec out of Tactics and go back to the tried and tested Focused Accuracy (there is a reason I always pick it up). Quitting the TF AGAIN and after respeccing into FA once I got to the CoT mission they were easily cleansed with none of the floored accuracy malarkey.

The problem then was that to pick Focused Accuracy I had to drop Gloom. With only four attacks (I'm not counting Barrage) I did not have enough to make an attack chain. I could solve this by unproccing Burn and the recharge made Total Focus, Bone Smasher, Energy Transfer, Burn, Bone Smasher possible. This comes at a terrible cost since Burn when built for procs out is a mini-nuke. Furthermore an AoE nuke albeit just hitting five mobs. To compare the numbers a regular slotted Burn does 403 in Mids. The procced out version does 515. This does not take into consideration the procs possibly going off a second time when the pseudo pet is activated (the one responsible for the myriad of little numbers after Burn is used) nor the missing -res proc.

What it does do is make both a close to seamless ST rotation while also a simplified AoE one with TF, EF, Burn, WH. Repeat.

I have three end-game builds. They all work so I will leave them up. They all rely on two stacks of the Might of the Tanker +res proc combined with Barrier to reach 90% to all res. If the content is not hard enough then there is no reason to use Barrier, but it also means it is not difficult enough to warrant having 90% resistances. Regardless if the Might of the Tanker procs a third time then resistances are capped. It also has close to 40% Smash/Slash defense which with Barrier becomes a permanent 45% (softcap) to most of the damage in the game.

I did just a quick and dirty two pylon tests, no clickies, T4 45% Musculature, T4 Hybrid Assault not clicked (I need to test which one is better, will post it later), T4 75% debuff Degenerative:

- No Gloom and non proc based Burn: 3:15 - 3:20. Considering there is no -res shenanigans not bad, but the loss of the procced out Burn is ow. As a bonus better endurance as well with only Tough needing to be turned off (played with FA on) for three minutes of non stop hitting:

Spoiler

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.2.19
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Primary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Secondary Power Set: Energy Melee
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Barrage -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(7), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(7), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A), Prv-Absorb%(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg(11), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(13), Prv-Heal(13)
Level 4: Bone Smasher -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(17), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(21), TchofDth-Dam%(21)
Level 6: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(23), Rct-ResDam%(23)
Level 8: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Max HP%(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 10: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(29), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(29), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(31), SynSck-EndMod(31), SynSck-Dam/Rech(31)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(33), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34)
Level 16: Whirling Hands -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(36)
Level 18: Burn -- Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(37), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), Arm-Acc/Rchg(37), Arm-Dam%(39), Erd-%Dam(39)
Level 20: Total Focus -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(40), TchofDth-Dam%(40), GldStr-%Dam(42)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), WntGif-ResSlow(42)
Level 24: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 28: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(43), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(43)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(43)
Level 32: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(A), AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx/Rchg(45), AdjTrg-ToHit(45)
Level 38: Energy Transfer -- HO:Nucle(A), Hct-Dmg(46), GldStr-%Dam(46), Mk'Bit-Dam%(48), TchofDth-Dam%(48), Hct-Dam%(48)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(50)
Level 44: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A)
Level 47: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(45), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(46), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Gauntlet
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(15), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(15)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(17)
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Reactive Radial Flawless Interface
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Radial Superior Ally
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment
Level 1: Energy Focus
------------

- Gloom and procced out Burn: 2:30 - 2:40. Worse endurance but with Consume this is not a problem. Did not have Tough turned on but still had to turn off Tactics as well since I did not want to use Consume mid test. This is the most damaging of the three in no small part due to Gloom being so good. I would not subject myself to the more exotic content without FA but if usually just farming Council or only teaming, or even carrying a few yellows, then this should still be fine:

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(3), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Barrage -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(7), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(7), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(A), Prv-Absorb%(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg(11), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(13), Prv-Heal(13)
Level 4: Bone Smasher -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(17), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(21), TchofDth-Dam%(21)
Level 6: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(23), Rct-ResDam%(23)
Level 8: Fire Shield -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Max HP%(27), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 10: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(29), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(29), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(31), SynSck-EndMod(31), SynSck-Dam/Rech(31)
Level 12: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(33), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(33), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(34)
Level 16: Whirling Hands -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(36)
Level 18: Burn -- HO:Nucle(A), Arm-Dmg(37), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(37), Obl-%Dam(37), Arm-Dam%(39), Erd-%Dam(39)
Level 20: Total Focus -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(39), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(40), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), GldStr-%Dam(40), TchofDth-Dam%(42)
Level 28: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(43), RechRdx-I(43), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 32: Tactics -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(50)
Level 35: Gloom -- Apc-Dam%(A), CldSns-%Dam(45), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(45), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(46)
Level 38: Energy Transfer -- HO:Nucle(A), Hct-Dmg(46), GldStr-%Dam(46), Mk'Bit-Dam%(48), TchofDth-Dam%(48), Hct-Dam%(48)
Level 41: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
------------

- Barrage and procced out Burn: 2:52 messily done (I even used Whirlwind Hands instead of Burn one time :D) - 2:34. Overall Gloom is better (no surprise when we compare the numbers between Gloom and Barrage) but Focused Accuracy makes for a better all rounder IMO. A better slotting of Barrage also helps for leveling and exemplaring instead of relying on Gloom to fill the gaps in the rotation, and FA protects from Arachnos' smoke grenades to Hurricaning witchies/Tsoo and Banished Pantheon/CoT -ToHit spamming. This is the build I will be personally using:

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Barrage -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(7), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(7), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), GldStr-%Dam(45), TchofDth-Dam%(46)
Level 4: Bone Smasher -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(17), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(21), TchofDth-Dam%(21)
Level 18: Burn -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(37), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(37), Obl-%Dam(37), Arm-Dam%(39), Erd-%Dam(39)
Level 20: Total Focus -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(40), TchofDth-Dam%(40), GldStr-%Dam(42)
Level 28: Build Up -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(43), RechRdx-I(43), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I(A), RctRtc-ToHit(45), RctRtc-Pcptn(45)
Level 38: Energy Transfer -- HO:Nucle(A), HO:Nucle(46), GldStr-%Dam(46), Mk'Bit-Dam%(48), TchofDth-Dam%(48), Hct-Dam%(48)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(50)
------------

The rotation is Burn, Total Focus, Bone Smasher, Energy Transfer, Barrage, Bone Smasher. Repeat. For AoE just spam WH and Burn while squeezing TF and EF on bosses in between.

This is what I leveled with. I did not fine comb it so use common sense (replace level 50 IOs with 25, etc). If there is a request I can make a cheapo leveling build. Burn and TF are the big hitters so six slot them ASAP.

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Tanker

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blazing Aura -- GntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), GntFis-Dmg/Rchg(3), GntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), GntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), GntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Barrage -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(7), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(7), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), GldStr-%Dam(45), TchofDth-Dam%(46)
Level 4: Bone Smasher -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(17), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(19), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), GldStr-%Dam(21), TchofDth-Dam%(21)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 16: Whirling Hands -- Avl-Acc/Dmg(A), Avl-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Avl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), Avl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Avl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 18: Burn -- MghoftheT-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), MghoftheT-Rchg/Res%(37), MghoftheT-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), MghoftheT-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), ScrDrv-Dam%(39), Erd-%Dam(39)
Level 20: Total Focus -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(39), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(40), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), TchofDth-Dam%(40), GldStr-%Dam(42)
Level 28: Build Up -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(43), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(43), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I(A), RctRtc-ToHit(45), RctRtc-Pcptn(45)
Level 38: Energy Transfer -- TchofDth-Dam%(A), GldStr-%Dam(46), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(46), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(48), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(48), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(48)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
------------

I have more information for newcomers over here. I may not be singing praises to the build like I was for Claws but it is more because I am jaded now. It is still nice big numbers for a tank. To put it in perspective I have several Scrappers and even Stalkers who have 2:30 times so picking a Tanker as a character does not need to mean slow whittling of enemies.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Infinitum said:

Well done,  that's good times for that. My best with that combo - with energy mastery was 2:53 - I always wondered what it would do with gloom etc.

Mine was with ageless too so those numbers are very impressive.

Proc bombing Burn makes a difference. Since it costs almost no endurance it plays very well with that approach. I have looked several times at Total Focus thinking about proccing it more but it has a hefty endurance cost and is the linchpin of the attack rotation so it needs to be up.

Energy Transfer also has no endurance requirements and since it is meant to be used after TF it means it has no recharge requirements. It should be doing less damage than Mids shows since the fast version will castrate the numbers shown by the slow animation. Bopper said they will look into changing the proc calculation numbers between slow and fast versions.

Burn carries Fire Armor. Once they fix the double proc chance Fiery Embrace will not be enough, IMO, to warrant using FA. Might as well go Shield and get the scaling damage aura while also becoming near impervious without all the wacky slotting I subject FA to.

Edited by Sovera