Badge collecting confusion

I was a CoH player back in the day and recently discovered it has been back for a while so I have jumped into the game and have set myself the target of getting all the badges, HOWEVER this is where I am puzzled, there are contradicting things said about if it can be done or not. I have read posts saying you can only do it if you start as a Praetorian, if so why? Others say no need to, it can still be done whatever character you start with. They cant both be right so what is true? 

Are there any missable badges? What are they and how  do I avoid missing them?

I am a level 20 Controller in Preatoria and I am wondering if I will need to restart, if so that takes me to my next question.

Ffinally, I know people are going to say "whatever you are comfortable with" well I have hit lvl 50 with them all at some point and I like them all equally, but there may be some advantage to picking a particular Archetype that I am unaware of as I havnt gone down the badge collecting road yet, and if so what power sets are best suited to use to get all the badges?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope you can help an aging gamer out.

Edited by PODSTER56

You can get all the badges with any character starting from any alignment.  Null the Gull in Pocket D can change your alignment for this purpose.

You cannot miss any badges.  Ouroboros sees to that.

There really isn't a preferred or 'better' archetype.  The only way the archetype matters is this; You are going to be playing it a lot.  It's more important than you like it than trying to play something someone else likes.

I badged during Live on a Spines/Regen scrapper.  It was not fun for a lot of reasons.  Mainly, I just didn't enjoy playing the toon after the Regen nerfs.  Now I badge on an Ill/Rad controller.  Much more enjoyable since I like the powerset.  Only suggestion here is to be sure you build the character well.  I have went through about four respec's and spent a billion or so influence getting my badger to be mostly invincible.  Not required, but it has made things easier for me to do solo.

Play what you want.  It's all about having fun.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ura Hero said:

You can get all the badges with any character starting from any alignment.  Null the Gull in Pocket D can change your alignment for this purpose.

There really isn't a preferred or 'better' archetype.  The only way the archetype matters is this; You are going to be playing it a lot.  It's more important than you like it than trying to play something someone else likes.

I badged during Live on a Spines/Regen scrapper.  It was not fun for a lot of reasons.  Mainly, I just didn't enjoy playing the toon after the Regen nerfs.  Now I badge on an Ill/Rad controller.  Much more enjoyable since I like the powerset.  Only suggestion here is to be sure you build the character well.  I have went through about four respec's and spent a billion or so influence getting my badger to be mostly invincible.  Not required, but it has made things easier for me to do solo.

I'm using the same , Controllers are my prefered Archetype, if its not a pain to ask this what is your build? I have gone with sorcery as an aditional power set but I am not sure if it was a good move, i am a bit lacking in much that does damage

Here is my build:

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Ura Hero: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Stone Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blind -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(3), UnbCns-Dam%(5), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(5), NrnSht-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(7), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(11), Prv-Absorb%(11)
Level 2: Spectral Wounds -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(13), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), Apc-Acc/Rchg(15), Apc-Dam%(15), Dcm-Build%(17)
Level 4: Accelerate Metabolism -- PwrTrns-EndMod(A), PwrTrns-Dam/Rech(19), PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(21), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/End(21), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/Rech/End(23), PwrTrns-+Heal(23)
Level 6: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(25), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(25), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(27), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(27), CrcPrs-Conf%(29)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 10: Superior Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 12: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(31)
Level 14: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 16: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(31), GldArm-End/Res(33), GldArm-3defTpProc(33)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(34), SlbAll-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SlbAll-Build%(36)
Level 20: Radiation Infection -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(48), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(50), DarWtcDsp-Slow%(50)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 24: Lingering Radiation -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(37), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(39), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(40)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37)
Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(40), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(42), EdcoftheM-PetDef(42)
Level 35: Fissure -- ExpStr-Acc/KB(A), ExpStr-Dam%(42), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43), PstBls-Dam%(43), Ann-ResDeb%(43), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(45)
Level 38: Mutation -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Seismic Smash -- Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Rchg(45), Hct-Dam%(45), Hct-Dmg(46), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(46), GldStr-%Dam(46)
Level 44: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def(48)
Level 47: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(19), EndMod-I(37)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Support Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement 
------------

• Like 1

It's my understanding that you CAN miss a badge. Pither is unavailable through Ouro to my knowledge. I do apologize if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe I am. Granted, he's available at level 50, but if you don't complete his missions within the allotted time frame, I don't think there's a way to retry those. I suppose it could depend on what's meant by missing a badge. 

Yes, Efficiency Expert from Pither is the only badge that you can fail and be locked out on. I recommend running it relatively early just in case you do fail it and need to reroll, but its honestly not too bad. Just be aware that it is possible to abandon missions, so if the clock is running out and you cannot finish in time, abandon it and try again with a fresh new timer.

As far as AT, I've badged on a controller, a stalker, a blaster, and a tank, and now I'm starting to badge on a defender. I will say that I think the tank went the smoothest, but that may just be because I had more experience with badging by that point. I think it more comes down to how much you enjoy playing the character, since you will be playing them a lot if you want all the badges.

From Champion (Hero) and Infinity (Villain), currently playing on Everlasting.

Former member of the Hammers of Justice on Champion.

Raid leader for 'Everlasting TFs'.

Mains: Trickery Girl (Ill/Rad Controller), Burk (Sword/Shield Stalker), and 6 other complete badge characters.

14 hours ago, Ura Hero said:

Here is my build:

Reveal hidden contents

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Ura Hero: Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Illusion Control
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Emission
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Stone Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Blind -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(3), UnbCns-Dam%(5), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(5), NrnSht-Dam%(7)
Level 1: Radiant Aura -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(7), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg(9), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(11), Prv-Absorb%(11)
Level 2: Spectral Wounds -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(13), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), Apc-Acc/Rchg(15), Apc-Dam%(15), Dcm-Build%(17)
Level 4: Accelerate Metabolism -- PwrTrns-EndMod(A), PwrTrns-Dam/Rech(19), PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(21), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/End(21), PwrTrns-Dam/Acc/Rech/End(23), PwrTrns-+Heal(23)
Level 6: Deceive -- CrcPrs-Conf(A), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(25), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(25), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(27), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(27), CrcPrs-Conf%(29)
Level 8: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(29)
Level 10: Superior Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31)
Level 12: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(31)
Level 14: Boxing -- Acc-I(A)
Level 16: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(31), GldArm-End/Res(33), GldArm-3defTpProc(33)
Level 18: Phantom Army -- ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(34), SlbAll-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), SlbAll-Build%(36)
Level 20: Radiation Infection -- DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb(A), DarWtcDsp-ToHitDeb/EndRdx(48), DarWtcDsp-ToHitdeb/Rchg/EndRdx(50), DarWtcDsp-Slow%(50)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 24: Lingering Radiation -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 26: Spectral Terror -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(37), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(39), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(39), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(40)
Level 28: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37)
Level 30: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Phantasm -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(40), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(42), EdcoftheM-PetDef(42)
Level 35: Fissure -- ExpStr-Acc/KB(A), ExpStr-Dam%(42), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43), PstBls-Dam%(43), Ann-ResDeb%(43), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(45)
Level 38: Mutation -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 41: Seismic Smash -- Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Rchg(45), Hct-Dam%(45), Hct-Dmg(46), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(46), GldStr-%Dam(46)
Level 44: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def(48)
Level 47: Enervating Field -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 49: Tactics -- EndRdx-I(A), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 1: Containment 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(17)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-EndMod(A), PrfShf-End%(19), EndMod-I(37)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Support Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement 
------------

Thank you so much, I am impressed it has given me some great pointers without me having to experiment as much

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 5:07 AM, Ura Hero said:

I'm pretty sure there's a badge in Praetoria for swapping alignments repeatedly, and that you can't get it unless you both play the tutorial and make the necessary alignment changes at the correct times.

36 minutes ago, Col. Kernel said:

I'm pretty sure there's a badge in Praetoria for swapping alignments repeatedly, and that you can't get it unless you both play the tutorial and make the necessary alignment changes at the correct times.

They are attainable via Oro.  You don't really switch alignment in those cases, it's just making the choice.  As far as I can tell on my badge hunter, there aren't any that are unattainable.  The one Praetorian that isn't available via flashback is the Avid reader badge that is gotten via reading options in the tutorial, but that is then attainable via Prometheus' verbage after you have done a Incarnate Trial.