Mind/Elec or Mind/Energy?

JnEricsonx

/energy is really nice now and capable of serious damage, if you're willing to go into melee. Total Focus, Power Burst and Sniper Blast are all extreme level damage powers (Power Burst gets boosted by Total Focus), throw in Dominate in between and you can make a fantastic attack chain out of that (Dom TF Dom PB SB).

/elec is uhh. Relatively fast animations? That's about the best I can muster for it. Doesn't even have a proper PBAoE, just a cone and the AoE part of Thunder Strike. Which itself deals meh damage for its animation time. I suppose cones aren't so bad for Mind given that Terrify is also one, but with either secondary you're going to have to go in melee anyway, and the range and arc of Static Discharge are just pathetic compared to standard 15 feet radius dominator PBAoEs.

IMHO, /energy is the clear winner here.

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 2

What Nihili said. /Energy is really good, and provides a good secondary effect, places for the FF proc, and Power Up.

/Ele's secondary effect is generally poor, and has Build Up instead of Power Up... you want the +Special for your controls more than you want extra damage. The only thing it has going for it is that it can slot the FF proc in an AoE. But it's an otherwise poor AoE, so... it's not much.

/elec has volt sentinel for supplemental dps and build up (w/ guassian) is always great for a couple hits and for getting you through difficult tohit situations (which are rare). Elec can do some semi interesting things with power transfer giving you a bit of healing if you can spare the slots. Zapp at lvl 20 is nice.

I don't think any of those are strong enough reasons to take it over /nrg though for all the reasons given by others.  I will say that /nrg (along with most other assault sets) have all their best powers at t7/8/9, which kind of sucks and interferes with acquiring your app powers early. Sleet opens up at lvl 35, which creates a dilemma. 

I'm here to say whatever I need to say to avoid Electric Assault. Rather than just rag on the set I'm going to call it a "great opportunity for the developers to turn into something cool." It's playable if you reallllly want to do it for concept reasons.

The reverse of it, Electric Control/Psi Assault on the other hand offers the same thematics and is actually pretty good. I have over 100 Veteran levels with that combo.

/Elec assault hasn't been that great since the nerf on live to Havoc Punch.  It used to do really great damage for being just the t2 power and a rather fast animation so after while they decided to nerf it.  Ever since then it's been a low tier assault.  The animations are long for not really all that great aoe damage, sure build up is a nice power but you can get so much more out of power boost in /Energy.  Like the others are stating, with the 3 punch combo which are all extreme damage attacks it's a real hard set to beat especially if you don't mind melee.  

I had three doms on live... Plant/Thorn, Mind/Energy, and Fire/Psi.  Even back then Mind/Energy was a soloing king. I haven't played with the I26 changes to energy, but I can only imagine how awesome it must be now. Electric assault has never been that great on Doms as I recall.. I don't think very  many people choose it.  Go with Mind/Energy, it's pretty much a sure thing.