Ice/Fire/Fire Build Help

Captain Citadel

Build Link
I'd like to have someone actually versed in Dominators look over this build, because it seems to perform really poorly on paper compared to other builds I've seen here. Not sure if that's because I built it wrong or because I just picked bad base powersets. I was going for high recharge and perma-Domination but it seems sorely lacking in defense/resists. I primarily play a Tanker so I don't know if that's because it's a Dominator, or because I built it wrong. I know the resistance soft caps are considerably lower, but still. It seems utterly useless in solo play.

The only real stipulations I have for pool powers are to keep Sorcery and Fire Mastery for concept reasons. I like the Barrier and Reactive Incarnate powers but if they're bad I'm fine with axing them. I'm not keen on re-rolling with entirely new base powersets, however.

Ice control is something you'll either love or hate. Its the only control set with no fast recharging decent opener, instead it gets a sleep which is next to useless. And arctic air suck your endurance like no other toggle in the game. If you click slots/enhancements and set all relative levels to +5 levels you'll see that a 2 slotted hasten boosted to +5 is all you need to get it perma. I'd drop spirit ward for jack frost it looks like you 6 slotted the power for the recharge bonus and its totally useless solo and hard to imagine you using it much on a team. And Jack is cool. I'm not the best person to give advice on ice domi's i spent ages on mine even with all the help from other players on the forums its never got to the point where i find it playable but you should consider getting at least 45% ranged defence which is all you can manage if you plan to stick with fire epic. If your taking incinerate just for the ranged def bonus from mako set you may as well dump it for fire blast and a thunderstrike. The biggest problem i see with the combo is arctic air wants you in melee range and its your best form of defence-confusing stuff as your only aoe hold won't be up that often. Glacier has such a massive recharge on it. Flash freeze, hop in the mob and as soon as you do arctic air starts ticking off damage waking everything i don't see a way around it unless you simply go for power pools you can cycle through that will keep you up and alive in the middle of the mob and i still don't think you'll have the defence to survive if you stick to the fire epic. It could work but you should really consider dumping fire for ice at least that way you'll have enough defence to melee which is all ice control is good at.

2 hours ago, Meknomancer said:

Flash freeze, hop in the mob and as soon as you do arctic air starts ticking off damage waking everything

AA doesn't do damage, so at least you get a chance to let it get a few rolls on the targets before you wake them up with Ice Slick.

I personally would avoid pairing Ice, which really wants to be in melee range, with Fire Assault, which is best as a ranged attack set. Ice Control works well with melee-oriented sets like Martial, Savage, Earth, and Energy... or with neutral ones like Ice Assault.  But if it's what you have, well... make lemonade.

I used to main Ice/Fiery Dominator on live. Keep in mind it was a very different version of Fiery, the version other CoX mostly servers still have, with an outrageously overpowered +80% fire damage buff that lasted 30 seconds. 

IMO Fire still does Ice Control some favors. You're an endurance hog and that Endurance restore in Consume is great. Also, Fiery doesn't need to move around much to attack. This lets you center Arctic Air so that it strategically falls over as many enemies as possible.

That said I have to say that although Ice Control is fun, its shortcomings on Dominators are really noticeable if you're used to sets that you can play more safely. Arctic Air doesn't Dominate. This mean it is robbed of 50% of the Confuse duration it should have and also that you have very few ways to shut down bosses. It's a fun power but I do wish its flaws would be resolved.