Remarkable Marvel foreshadowing

I am going to assume an 11 year old movie doesn't need a spoiler window.

I rewatched the Senate hearings scene from Iron Man 2. It is the " I've successfully privatized world peace" scene.  After Stark displays failed attempts to duplicate Iron Man, he states all other attempts are a decade out from success, with Hammer industries being 20 years out.

Now we're a decade out, admittedly delayed a year due to the pandemic, and delayed internal to the MCU chronology, by 5 years of the Snap wreaking havoc.  And what do we have? The upcoming Armor Wars story with Rhodey defending Stark technology from theft by those who want to finish their designs, including from Justin Hammer.  Foreshadowing planted a decade ago in an almost throw away line.  Amazing plotting by the Marvel team.

Edited by Techwright

I will never forget watching an interview with some of the Marvel creative bigwigs...  "When we started out to make movies, we didn't have a blockbuster budget, our top tier characters were all licensed elsewhere, and we had no experience making movies.  What did have at that table was a collective century's worth of experience at world building and storytelling.  So we rolled with what we had."

• Like 2

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

The writers for these Marvel movies are totally masters of this kind of thing.  So many of these gems from the movies.  My favorite was from Avengers and Endgame.

STARK:  What he's got is an ACME dynamite kit.  It's gonna blow up in his face, and I'm gonna be there when it does.

BANNER:  Yup.  I'll read all about it.

STARK:  Uh huh.  Or you'll be suiting up with the rest of us.

BANNER:  Ah, you see, I don't get a suit of armor.  I'm exposed, like a nerve.  It's a nightmare.

STARK:  You know, I've got a cluster of shrapnel trying every second to crawl it's way into my heart.  This stops it, this little circle of light.  It's part of me now, not just armor.  It's a terrible privelege.  

BANNER:  But you can control it.

STARK:  Because I learned how.

BANNER:  It's different.

STARK:  Hey, I read all about your accident.  That much gamma exposure should've killed you.

BANNER:  So you're saying that the Hulk - the other guy - saved my life?  That's nice. It's a nice sentiment.  Saved it for what?

STARK:  I guess we'll find out.

and from Endgame

HULK:  Lightning won't help you pal.  It's gotta be me.  You saw what those stones did to Thanos.  They almost killed him.  None of you could survive.

CAPTAIN AMERICA:  How do we know you will?

HULK:  We don't.  But the radiation's mostly gamma.  It's like I was made for this.

that's some serious worldbuilding skill there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the sort of skill which real world fortune tellers use.

You leave things ambiguous, and you do LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of them.

Eventually, some of them pan out, and you then reinforce them as intentional, rather than admitting you were just using buckshot all along.

There are probably quite a few lists online about various threads that still haven't been tugged on.  Some of which will probably never manifest either, since actors' contracts ended or bad blood or other factors prevent a reasonable continuation.

• Like 2