Updated Windows 10 to 20H2 and now CoH crashes on start

evetsleep

I updated last night to the latest Windows 10 build (20H2) and now when I click Ready in the Homecoming launcher the Loading banner starts and then goes away after a few minutes, but I never get the City of Heroes login screen.  I looked in the event log and it looks like cityofheroes.exe crashes each time I try to launch it via the Homecoming launcher:

Faulting application name: cityofheroes.exe, version: 1.0.3738.64, time stamp: 0x60220200
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.844, time stamp: 0x60a6ca36
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x000000000008c57f
Faulting process id: 0x31fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d715976ffd2183
Faulting application path: \\?\C:\CoH\Homecoming\bin\win64\live\cityofheroes.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 1c2df690-6cfe-4a14-8625-ef9e0fc07e0b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Any ideas on what I can try?  I've tried using both verity and uninstall\reinstall via the HC launcher and still have the same problem (and multiple reboots).

Thanks for any ideas!

Holy moly my hero!  That worked.  Thanks!!

Actually when I tried running it from my laptop it did work, but I normally play through my larger monitor (via a DisplayLink hub).  I tried that and it didn't work.  So it's something with the hub.  I think there was a driver update for that as well which got applied...time to unroll that.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Edited by evetsleep
  • Thanks 1

Switching to a directly HDMI connection from my laptop to my monitor instead of my USB (DIsplayLink) hub solved it.  Not sure why thought, but it started after the 20H2 update.  😕

Kind of annoying that I cannot use my hub, but I'll live.

Note: if there's a cable length issue, you could be seeing a problem there too.

At 4K, an HDMI cable is only good to about 10 feet.
At 1080p, you should be good up to 50 feet or so.

Longer cables can be hard to find in brick & mortar stores.

So....

https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/hdmi-cables

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• Game Master
5 hours ago, evetsleep said:

Switching to a directly HDMI connection from my laptop to my monitor instead of my USB (DIsplayLink) hub solved it.  Not sure why thought, but it started after the 20H2 update.  😕

Kind of annoying that I cannot use my hub, but I'll live.

DisplayLink is a software-based graphics adapter. 

It's awesome for what it is and I really like it, but you shouldn't try to run City of Heroes natively on a DisplayLink monitor.  Or in your case, on a regular monitor plugged into a DisplayLink Hub, regardless of how -- VGA, HDMI, DP, etc. (And yes, I know by virtue of typing that, someone's going to fire up a Virtual Machine to prove me wrong... 😄 )  The video ports on your laptop are linked to your graphics card/integrated graphics system, and will deliver far better performance.

While DisplayLink technology is targeted primarily to productivity and video applications, it is suitable for the casual gamer. If you're a "power gamer", looking for every edge possible over your opponents, you might want to go another route.  (Source: https://www.displaylink.com/small-office/faq )

Same goes for any USB based Graphics Adapter that isn't an enclosure for an external GPU.  (Plugable, J5Create, Belkin, etc.)  They will do anything 2D based very well.  3D... it's never going to meet or exceed output from on-board or graphic card based ports.

Advice: Play the game on your laptop screen, and have your supplemental windows (HCWiki, music, Discord, etc.) on the DisplayLink or USB display instead.

Edited by GM Tahquitz

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

*Not to be confused with Display Port

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• Game Master

Thanks, and yes:

• DisplayPort: Physical Connection, looks like an HDMI plug except one of the sides are squared off and there's 'teeth' that require a button press to uncouple from a monitor.  DisplayPort is 4K capable and beyond, and is required for monitors over 60 Hz to realize their full capability.  (Thunderbolt, DisplayPort and USB-C are converging together under the USB 4 standard, so even this connector may not be the 'forever' connector that HDMI is trying to be.)

• DisplayLink: Usually USB-Based, technology to add additional and portable screens to Windows and Mac systems with a single driver installation regardless of manufacturer.  (Linux works with very strict requirements... and the only driver they release is Debian-based.)

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.