Void Skiff Customization and Combat

nror

Since we're now removing the mutual exclusivity of travel and prestige powers, would it be possible to take a look at maybe adding some of the prestige travel animations (esp. Void Skiff) as customization options for the Fly power pool, or otherwise removing some of the restrictions they have regarding using abilities and detoggling powers while it's in use?

I realize there's possibly some trickiness to some of those animations that have resulted in them working the way they do, for instance a character that's doing a kick is going to have to be animated to have their feet leave the vehicle and return.

But for those of us who have characters that would like to use the theme of some of these prestige pieces (for example for a Green Goblin-like character using the skiff as a glider), it would be great if they could be usable in combat like every other travel power or at least not interfere with combat by detoggling everything when they're used. 

The same thing goes for any of the jetpack powers for characters who actually want their characters to be jetpack users. Would be a nice QoL thing along the lines of the great work that was done with Ninja/Beast/Athletic run.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later

Bumping this - once the boat has sailed on the travel power rework I don't figure this will get looked at again.

Would be really nice to be able to use the Void Skiff like a proper travel power for those of us with that kind of character theme.

4 hours ago, Tyrannical said:

It's a vanity power, so I doubt it'll have the restrictions removed.

In that case it could/should be added as an FX option for Fly like the various prestige runs have been for the run-based travel powers in the latest beta build.

• Like 2

This isn't from the Homecoming team, but a quote from one of Positron's Lore AMAs back in the day, that should help illuminate why travel animations like Void Skiff disable all powers.

We all wanted vehicles, but the animation system didn’t easily allow for it. Every animation had to be redone for every single ability in game. Ninja Run alone took Nelson Tam 3 full months of nonstop work to make. That’s why Rocket Board detoggled you. We estimated it would take about 9 months of dedicated animation and tech time to redo the animations system to allow you to use your powers while in a vehicle.

Presumably, Void Skiff works just like Rocket Board. It isn't just kick animations that need to be redone, it's literally every animation. 

• City Council
17 minutes ago, omnibeing said:

This isn't from the Homecoming team, but a quote from one of Positron's Lore AMAs back in the day, that should help illuminate why travel animations like Void Skiff disable all powers.

Presumably, Void Skiff works just like Rocket Board. It isn't just kick animations that need to be redone, it's literally every animation. 

This is correct. I actually tried brute forcing it, and it was quite awful 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

This is correct. I actually tried brute forcing it, and it was quite awful 🙂

Thanks for the confirmation Jimmy. I figured it would be tricky but never hurts to ask!