Champions online: Arch Nemesis

stuff

Except for point one (not in my plan) this covers most of my pitch, although not exactly as described in several instances, usually with broader implications.

The only other thing is, personalities can't be a specific choice per se.  I've thought long and hard on this, and the way to manage this is to create mission types that are relevant to a specific type of character, but once you get down to writing 30 sets of dialog for a simple mission to cover just the most basic personalities, it's a huge amount of work, especially for an all volunteer staff, for minimal payoff. 

That huge amount of work only has any potential impact on the player the first time they play through it, too.  Better to craft lots of missions and let players select what is appropriate for them.  Plus, if we're honest, while some great writing does exist in the game, it's no stranger to bad dialog and players are used to hand-waving that.  It's not ideal, but it's the feasible solution.

In an ideal world this would be different, but, when getting that specific, AE is a better alternative.

Current trick is to create the MVP first, and then build and add to it.

• 4 weeks later

I seem to recall the devs talked about trying to implement this originally, but I could be thinking of the devs that went on to CO and did in fact implement this system.

On another (tangential) note, I recall the devs at one point talking about trying to somehow implement a more proactive approach to missions for villains whereby they'd actually be creating some kind of villainous plot that heroes would then need to react to. I could theoretically see implementing Mission Architect for this purpose somehow.

I like the idea of building an NPC and using something like the Kheldian system to spawn them.

As for a sidekick: I wonder if the old code still exists that indents a player SK's name under their mentor.

Basic rule: including sidekicks themselves, a party can only have 4-5 members. So at 4 max, for example, 3 players can call one SK (total - not each). 2 members means they could each call theirs.

No 16-man shenanigans; not even 4+4 parties.  This would be a pretty good spot to be since this is when your party has all the basics covered.

If there was some way to let us get AE's flexibility into a normal world instance spawn system that would be pretty interesting.

This would honestly be the greatest investment in "post-live" content.

But first, we'll need to have a serious talk about AE farms in a world with Justin.

• 1 year later

Honestly,  when it was working properly, the Nemesis system was interesting.
The fact that it's now just another broken, abandoned subsystem in CO...

While something like it might be cool.  I treat my entire pantheon as a rogues gallery for one another.
So my internal lore intermingles their stories.

And while they'll never directly play one another, the AE system allows me to create facsimiles.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!