Fire/Temp Blaster

StriderIV

• StriderIV changed the title to Fire/Temp Blaster

Just curious, but are you sold on Temporal? I started off my blaster/blapper with Fire/Temporal and made it to mid-20s before I realized I hated the DoT component on the melee and nothing else in the set really appealed to me. So I switched up to Fire/Atomic, thinking that would be better and it was to an extent, but it still didn't click for me, overall.

It wasn't until I tried Fire/Electric that I settled on my blaster to level and IO. It's missing the recharge component of either of the first two, but it has something the other two don't in three powers with KD, which is really helpful with Fire's total lack of mitigation (other than blow those guys up first! mitigation, of course). I'd suggest going to the test server and mocking up Temp and Elec (and whatever else you'd like to try out) on simple 50 IOs, and see which one suits you best. You may be surprised with the results. If you do decide to go Electricity, @Nemu has a build floating around here that's a good one to follow. If not, I'm sure someone can help with Fire/Temporal as well.

• Like 1

Fire/Temp is a fine choice. I’ve probably got a build somewhere but almost all blasters generally benefit from Recharge and Ranged Defence. Know plenty go for Scorpion Shield too for S/L/E defence, but I find a resist shield + ranged serves you better. 

Can also recommend Fire/Elec, but for me Fire/NRG outshines everything. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KaoticKarl said:

Just curious, but are you sold on Temporal? I started off my blaster/blapper with Fire/Temporal and made it to mid-20s before I realized I hated the DoT component on the melee and nothing else in the set really appealed to me. So I switched up to Fire/Atomic, thinking that would be better and it was to an extent, but it still didn't click for me, overall.

It wasn't until I tried Fire/Electric that I settled on my blaster to level and IO. It's missing the recharge component of either of the first two, but it has something the other two don't in three powers with KD, which is really helpful with Fire's total lack of mitigation (other than blow those guys up first! mitigation, of course). I'd suggest going to the test server and mocking up Temp and Elec (and whatever else you'd like to try out) on simple 50 IOs, and see which one suits you best. You may be surprised with the results. If you do decide to go Electricity, @Nemu has a build floating around here that's a good one to follow. If not, I'm sure someone can help with Fire/Temporal as well.

I have heard good things about Fire/Elec as well. I hear that Fire/Temp might be more of a Hover or "at range" Blaster, while Fire/Elec is much more in your face blapper style.

3 hours ago, CaptTastic said:

Fire/Temp is a fine choice. I’ve probably got a build somewhere but almost all blasters generally benefit from Recharge and Ranged Defence. Know plenty go for Scorpion Shield too for S/L/E defence, but I find a resist shield + ranged serves you better. 

Can also recommend Fire/Elec, but for me Fire/NRG outshines everything. 

Nice man! I was looking at Fire/Elec as well for a more "blapper" type of build. What's the main reason you love Fire/Energy above all else?

53 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Nice man! I was looking at Fire/Elec as well for a more "blapper" type of build. What's the main reason you love Fire/Energy above all else?

NRG is just an, in my opinion, unrivalled box of tricks from a self-buffing point of view. 

Energize is the best sustain power for me. Boosts Regen a lot, gives a self heal, and huge end redux. You have the usual damage buff, and boost range too. 

So you combine that with the incredible damage of fire, and it’s just a Rolls Royce of a build. Great in teams and eats through everything, including AVs, solo. 

Edited by CaptTastic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, CaptTastic said:

NRG is just an, in my opinion, unrivalled box of tricks from a self-buffing point of view. 

Energize is the best sustain power for me. Boosts Regen a lot, gives a self heal, and huge end redux. You have the usual damage buff, and boost range too. 

So you combine that with the incredible damage of fire, and it’s just a Rolls Royce of a build. Great in teams and eats through everything, including AVs, solo. 

Energy does have a neat set of boost powers. I'm just forgetful as all get out (and admittedly lazy enough to a point to not remember, lol), so the click component of Energize really threw me off too much. If you're anything not like me though, it's a powerhouse I'm sure.

I just prefer the toggle on and forget of Electricity regen/recovery more for my old, addled brain 😆

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, KaoticKarl said:

Energy does have a neat set of boost powers. I'm just forgetful as all get out (and admittedly lazy enough to a point to not remember, lol), so the click component of Energize really threw me off too much. If you're anything not like me though, it's a powerhouse I'm sure.

I just prefer the toggle on and forget of Electricity regen/recovery more for my old, addled brain 😆

1 hour ago, CaptTastic said:

One bonus for /Temp is the fact that it provides -regen for fighting AV's/GM's. Do /elec or /Eng provide anything like that? Or does their damage just blow right past an AV's regen rate?

1 minute ago, StriderIV said:

One bonus for /Temp is the fact that it provides -regen for fighting AV's/GM's. Do /elec or /Eng provide anything like that? Or does their damage just blow right past an AV's regen rate?

We're talking a combined -75% requiring two powers in Time Wall and Time Stop that lasts maybe 12 seconds tops? Oops, almost forgot EoT that has -50% for 20 seconds. So... -125% total combined with an uptime of around 20 seconds max. Not exactly earth-shattering to me, and a P2W dagger can do the same or better IIRC.

Electricity doesn't have -regen, instead having -Recovery and -end instead in almost every power. Not going to be flooring an AV's (or even minions really) blue bar with those. The more important thing to me was the ability to KD in Havoc and TS, and if wanted, slotting KB2KD in FoT for the third.  It also comes with a nice End steal in powersink that allows six-slot for Preemptive Op for max End, slight recharge bonus, and solid ranged defense. Again, not a make or break power, but it is nice to have.

For Energy, I'll let Cap answer since I'm not all that familiar with the set. 🙂

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KaoticKarl said:

We're talking a combined -75% requiring two powers in Time Wall and Time Stop that lasts maybe 12 seconds tops? Oops, almost forgot EoT that has -50% for 20 seconds. So... -125% total combined with an uptime of around 20 seconds max. Not exactly earth-shattering to me, and a P2W dagger can do the same or better IIRC.

Electricity doesn't have -regen, instead having -Recovery and -end instead in almost every power. Not going to be flooring an AV's (or even minions really) blue bar with those. The more important thing to me was the ability to KD in Havoc and TS, and if wanted, slotting KB2KD in FoT for the third.  It also comes with a nice End steal in powersink that allows six-slot for Preemptive Op for max End, slight recharge bonus, and solid ranged defense. Again, not a make or break power, but it is nice to have.

For Energy, I'll let Cap answer since I'm not all that familiar with the set. 🙂

NRG definitely doesn’t have the soft control that Elec does. Elec is really nicely balanced, one of the best balanced blaster secondaries out there I think. That said, bonfire from Fire Mastery with the Sudden Acceleration KB2KD can probably provide the soft control that’s needed, and it’s decent damage too on top. 

Both are great choices, as is temporal. Temporal is the safest set I think among the three with good mitigation tools, Elec the balanced option, and NRG probably the ‘f**k it!’ extreme option. There probably isn’t a ‘best’, just a best for whichever player is using it. 

As for AVs, @StriderIV, -Regen won’t make much different on a blaster there. Your only real chance is to out-damage the Regen. My Fire/NRG has successfully solo’d every AV so far, including a solo ITF. Malaise was the toughest as he seems to have a lot of auto hit attacks that bypassed ranged defence. They tend to all drop in 2-3 mins though, so orange insps got me through that one. Don’t usually need any inspirations though. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CaptTastic said:

NRG definitely doesn’t have the soft control that Elec does. Elec is really nicely balanced, one of the best balanced blaster secondaries out there I think. That said, bonfire from Fire Mastery with the Sudden Acceleration KB2KD can probably provide the soft control that’s needed, and it’s decent damage too on top. 

Both are great choices, as is temporal. Temporal is the safest set I think among the three with good mitigation tools, Elec the balanced option, and NRG probably the ‘f**k it!’ extreme option. There probably isn’t a ‘best’, just a best for whichever player is using it. 

As for AVs, @StriderIV, -Regen won’t make much different on a blaster there. Your only real chance is to out-damage the Regen. My Fire/NRG has successfully solo’d every AV so far, including a solo ITF. Malaise was the toughest as he seems to have a lot of auto hit attacks that bypassed ranged defence. They tend to all drop in 2-3 mins though, so orange insps got me through that one. Don’t usually need any inspirations though. 

Thanks Cap! I rolled your E3 Sentinel a while back, and it is still one of my favorites. I'll probably make all 3 on test and just see how they play.  @KaoticKarl's mention of Fire/Elec has definitely piqued up my interest as well. I've been interested in the idea of "blapping" and (being a Tanker main) having some soft control powers with KD might be a comfort to me haha.

• Like 1

Hello All,

I just posted a setup on Fire/Temp and I need to disagree on a good few things that are missed above in strong favor of Temp:

Temporal is probably one of if not the tankiest blaster option and great for an in your face playstyle like you want. Properly setup you have stuff like temporal healing for a free 400+ absorb shield every few sec and can get a good bit of aoe knockdown.

Agreed that Aging Touch is useless dont slot it and use the slot for a epic pool power

Future Pain Hits like an absolute truck (more than most any other sets equivalent) it even beats stuff like energy's total focus in dpa and recharge 

Free recharge on your build up and at all times on timelord is amazing

Otherwise Electric can definitely be fun but the lower defenses limits it so i feel it only can outpace in a farm setting where the few extra aoes help due to the endless waves of bosses and the defenses do not matter.

In general i do have to speak against the resist armors from the epic pools unless you are going for a specific type of farm as blasters have trouble getting their defenses high enough without a defense armor and dont have enough resist or health to make proper use of heavy resist.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

Probably something like this. I slot Aging Touch so it has a complete attack chain at all levels, but at 50 it is not used as much when flares does the job just fine for ranged. AT is a decent filler in melee range TBH.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Proven: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Fire Blast
Secondary Power Set: Temporal Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Flares -- Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), Thn-Acc/Dmg(3), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(7)
Level 1: Time Wall -- GrvAnc-Acc/Immob/Rchg(A)
Level 2: Fire Ball -- SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(3), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(5), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13)
Level 4: Aging Touch -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(7), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13)
Level 6: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 8: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(15), Ksm-ToHit+(15), Rct-ResDam%(37), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(42), BlsoftheZ-Travel(43)
Level 10: Chronos -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(36), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(37), GssSynFr--Build%(45), GssSynFr--ToHit(45)
Level 12: Aim -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Afterburner -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: End of Time -- SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(A), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(25), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(34)
Level 18: Blaze -- SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(A), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(19), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(21), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(23), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(31)
Level 20: Temporal Healing -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(25), Prv-Heal/Rchg(40), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(40), Prv-Heal(40), Prv-Absorb%(42)
Level 22: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 24: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(39), RedFrt-Def(39)
Level 26: Blazing Bolt -- SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(A), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(27), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(27), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31)
Level 28: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 30: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Inferno -- SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(33), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(36), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 38: Time Lord -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(39), UnbGrd-Max HP%(46)
Level 41: Time Shift -- SphIns-%ToHit(A), SphIns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(43), SphIns-ToHitDeb(43), SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb(45), SphIns-Acc/Rchg(46), SphIns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 44: Boxing -- Stp-KB%(A)
Level 47: Tough -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(48), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(48)
Level 49: Weave -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(50), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- HO:Nucle(A)
Level 1: Defiance 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(31), Pnc-Heal/+End(42)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(50)
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Pyronic Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Banished Pantheon Core Superior Ally 
------------

• Like 1