((Everlasting Server IC Rumour Thread))

Big-Game

((So still trying to encourage some forum rp to compliment what goes on in game I thought I’d ressurrect the “IC Rumours” thread originally started by Coile back in the day.  coile originally posted...

This thread is for IC rumours. A few tips and pointers.

1) Indicate where the rumour circulates. GG? Pocket D? Docks of St. Martial? ICON in Steel Canyon?

2) The rumour does not have to be true. It can even be completely false. Or just terribly misleading.

3) Make sure it makes sense that this rumour exists. If a discussion was held in complete privacy and no party spoke to outsiders, no one can talk about it. You can of course use NPCs to overhear stuff: peds, bartenders or just imaginary people. Just make sure that it suits everyone involved. You can't say someone walked by and heard about something if others think that no one came within earshot. If the rumour is not based on anything that happened ie. is complete bogus, it doesn't much matter where it originated from.

4) You can write rumours about other people than your own characters but be certain that you don't offend anyone. Either ask in advance to be sure, or have an understanding based on trust that it is alright to do so.

Have fun. ))

So the basic premise is people post up a small IC piece related to a character, rp interaction, plot, etc that can become known to other characters.  These IC snippets don’t need to be creative masterpieces, but can became an invaluable tool to help the initiation of organic roleplay.  After all “Hey ain’t you that guy who...” makes a great icebreaker for characters who have never interracted before.  It is my hope the IC rumours thread will eventuslky become the go to place for people to find out what rp is actually happening in game.

I do have a couple of suggestions for further posts in this thread for people to consider.  One, avoid specific dates.  Unlike the old Unionverse, people have a more loose rp continuity in this incarnation of the game.  By keeping things vague your rumours will be more acceptable to a wider audience.  The best way of looking at time is to consider when the IC rumour was posted, ie if it was posted 2 weeks ago the event probably happened then.  Two, keep the IC thread server specific (this one Everlasting).  This keeps the IC information relevant to characters who could conceivably run into each other.

What follows is an example related to my “Bar of the Damned” open rp thread (fingers crossed others will use soon)...))

“Whoah!  Did you see that house in Haven?  Bullet holes everywhere and half a wall missing.  I heard they had some sort of exterminator in wearing a tiger suit.”

“Tiger suit?  That some sort of corporate uniform?”

“Dunno.  S**** the suit though, how big do you reckon that freakin’ rat was?”

((Two men overheard in a Cap Au Diable bar))

A couple of suggestions I have f

((Global: @paladin1379, character: Krae Vull))

Two residents of a run-down King’s Row apartment complex go to pick up their mail and begin conversing.

“Hey, so did you hear we’ve got a “hero” in the B13 now?”

“B13? Isn’t that the basement apartment that floods every April? How did the landlord manage to find anyone willing to rent it out, let alone a hero?”

“Well, apparently this guy is from out of town and didn’t have a lot of other options. Like, really out of town… heard he’s from another dimension. Not that you could tell from looking at him.”

“Man, only in Paragon City would that explanation actually make sense. So, what’s his story?”

“Bounty hunter. Inter-dimensional bounty hunter.”

“And, how do you know this?”

“Heard it from my cousin, you know the one that works in City Hall. She overheard him telling the whole story to the M.A.G.I. people. Apparently he came ‘to our Earth’ because of ‘the disproportionately high number of valuable bounties’ that can be collected here. Only thing is, whatever spaceship or time-machine or whatever magic stuff he uses to cross dimensions got damaged, so guess he’ll be here for a while.”

“Huh. Well, maybe having an actual ‘hero’ in the building will convince the landlord to fix the place up a bit.”

“I wouldn’t count on it."

Before walking away, the resident looks at the mail box for B13. Sloppily scrawled in permanent marker, the box reads "Vull, Krae".

**Overheard at a coffee shop**

"I swear the woman in 23B down the hall from me is a hero"

"Really? I mean, how would you even know man, isn't that, like the point of a secret identity?"

"Trust me, you meet enough of them, and you know the type. Its the eyes, I say. Too knowing, too confident."

"Odd,I swear you told me at some point that 23B was vacant? She just move in? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong."

"No, she's been there a couple of years, I.. I think. Never noticed any trouble. But whatever she's doing, I think she's up to something nefarious"

"What, nefarious? How do you even know? and how do you even know a word like nefarious anyway?"

"I watch HBO, you should try it sometime. Broadens the mind. Anyway, the last few weeks she's had a lot of deliveries. Big boxes, extra furniture, that kind of thing."

"redecorating? Regular people do that"

"Nah man, its just... well, maybe I'm crazy... but all the apartments are a similar size, and she must be crammed against the ceiling with the amount of stuff she just brought in."

"That or she's got a Tardis."

"Now you're just being sarcastic...."

** A teenaged girl with dark hair and small, round glasses sits at a table on the dock next to Nick's Weenies, talking on her phone between bites of an overloaded ChiliWeenie **

"No. B... I'm serious! They *all* looked just alike. I mean... alike-alike. Not just, you know, like five brothers or something... but TOTALY IDENITICAL. They were all even dressed the same!

"I know, right? It was freaky! But they were about to be eaten by wailers, so I had to-... Ugh! I know! Those blinky little eyes... Sooo creepy... But, I swear. Clones. They had to be..."

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

”Mr. Mitchel,  can you comment on why you have suddenly relocated your corporate offices to Kings Row?  Cheaper rent?  Perhaps because your company is currently facing financial difficulties?”

‘Chuckle’ “I think you are reading far too much into that.  Sentinel Industries are committed to a large number of rejuvenation projects in Kings Row so it makes perfect sense for those offices to be there.”

“Hmm, maybe, but are you not concerned about Kings Row’s horrific crime rate?”

...”That. my friend is exactly why ‘I’ am relocating too!”

((Part of a radio interview with Sentinel Industries CEO and publically known mutant hero Britanic.))

Two Skulls in King's Row, discussing current events over a 40.

"Bruh, you should'a seen him! Dude rolled up on those new kids and just trashed'em!"

"I thought he died?"

"Naw man. Heard from my cuzzo that the old gym on 8th is opening more classes too. That big-ass troll's stepping down."

"All 'cause some washed-up hero came back? Somebody's gonna wear his skull in a month."

Watercooler discussion in Portal Corp, near the Records room.

"It's the thirteenth box of paperwork for case number 59383-328 I've filed though, Frank!"

"I know, and we're not even halfway through it yet. I heard all the redacted stuff came from one field agent."

"One guy can't do that much. Each report is five gigs of data, and there are over nine-hundred of them!""

"Nine-hundred and seventy-three."

"Over five terabytes of data. We don't have enough personnel to go through it all!"

A blog post from user TheyKnowWeKnow.

"-and that's the problem! A well-respected hero returns from their mandated mission off-world and gets their security level dropped again! It isn't enough that Portal Corp lied to us about it! Their puff piece in the Boston Globe (Native Son The Cobalt Streak reports from new Alternate Earth) was a lie from what my confidential sources claim, and City Hall refuses to address the real problem!

It's all a Nemesis plot to overthrow the Earth governments again, and the cover-up is just another aspect of the information-suppression from those same governments trying to stymie our freedoms with their-"

”The PPD must be planning to roll hard on somebody in Kings Row.  You oughta see them all gathered outside that precinct house.  I swear there must’a been more cops there than Supa Trolls at a Skyway bridge party.”

“Maybe... or maybe Louie finally set up that doughnut stand he keeps going on about?”

((Two Passengers overheard talking whilst riding the Yellow Line.))

((Yes I know they are actual in game bugs but even they need IC explanations right?  ;D))

*A tourist ride through the areas of Paragon City and the outskirts*

"And here we have Sterling Mansion.  The home of Gerald and Tappan Sterling, owners of Sterling Enterprises.  They are one of Crey Industries biggest competitors in pharmaceuticals, technology, and medical wonders.  This was also at one time home to many of the heroes of Paragon and other dimensions," stated the tour guide.

"What do you mean was?" asked a tourist.

"Well, they've retired.  The Sterlings wanted to focus on their business.  Others decided to lead a normal life, like Gerald's best friend, Mike Wolfe, better known as the hero Excalliber.  He and his wife, the heroine known as Guen, decided to raise their son, so they put aside their mantles and took up parenting."

"So, they had the abilities to fight crime, but they gave it up to be normal people?  Sounds kind of dumb to me," said another tourist.

"Well," began the tour guide, "when you've fought across dimensions, alien races, been to other planets, and stopped more Nemesis plots than their are Supernatural fanfics about the brothers or Dean and Cass, you may want to take a breather when you have duties that don't require punching people in the face."  This caused several laughs and chuckles from the tourists.  "Now, we'll be moving to see...."

"Hey!  What's that?!"  Everyone turned to look where a young boy was pointing.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it seems I was mistaken.  Flying overhead toward the city, Excalliber and Guen!!"

Overheard outside a Brickstown pizzeria

"You remember my cousin Paulie?"

"Yeah, How's he doing out in Cup-a-Diablo or whatever?"

"Get this: He got mugged... by a Mime"

"You yankin' my chain George?"

"My hand to God. The guy came out with a bunch of thugs and everything"

"Paulie played it smart, right?"

"Oh yeah, tried to give up his wallet right off. But the freak wouldn't take it."

"Wouldn't take the money?"

"Thugs just held him there at gunpoint and made him watch the whole routine"

"Jeez, George. What's this world coming to?"

**Overheard in a corner of a local Italian restaurant - unrelated, rumor has it the place is run by The Family as a front**

Excited Girl: "Hey, so you heard the news about that big tech firm, right?"

Bored Girl: "I don't pay much attention to the news, but if you're talking about Taka-something Industries' new open hire policy, I think the whole school's heard about that."

Excited Girl: "Right, well you know the 'head of security' there, that armored hero Girl Gadgeteer?"

Bored Girl: "Yeah, I've seen her around."

Excited Girl: "Well I heard a rumor that she's actually... Lena Takamoto herself!"

Bored Girl: "No way. Big-time CEO parading around in power armor? Never happen."

”Hey did’ya hear Boss Morretti hired that Monster Hunter ‘Big Game’ to deal with a Ghost problem at his mansion?”

“Y’mean that Brooklyn kid always wearing the tiger stripes?”

“Yeah thats da one.”

“So how’d it go?  He get the spook?”

“Yeah he got it, but he totally trashed Morretti’s dining room, destroyed an antique chandelier, and managed to put a hole in Morretti’s favourite painting.”

“Awww hell.  So how did Morretti kill him?”

“That’s just it he didn’t.  Morretti has a soft spot for Big Game.  Something about his Ol’ Mama Fedele making the best Cannelloni in all of Brooklyn.”

“So what did Morretti do then?”

“He gave ‘Game a temporary reprieve.  Basically give him a chance to make enough money to ‘compensate’ him appropriately.”

“Geez!  I wouldn’t want that sort’a monkey on my back.  Y’know that sort’a pressure is gonna make ‘Game do something stupid.”

“So what’s different?”

((Two Family goons overheard talking in a Marconville bar.))

** An overheard conversation between two truck drivers at a diner in Independence Port**

"I hate working delivery in this town, Mack. Nothin's ever simple. Just *once* I'd like to get'a pick-up call for somethin' like a load of rutabegas, or a bunch of office chairs. You know... Regular stuff. Normal stuff... Not this 'mad science' crap."

"What? You have to haul another barrel of Hamidon snot for Longbow or somethin'?"

"Oh god, no. I told Lou if he ever did THAT to me again I'd run over him… This time it was a box for some cape named Proud-somethin'... or Pride-somethin'... Whatever... 'Pick up down on Pier 23 from one of the steamers comin' out of the Etoiles."

"That doesn't sound too bad..."

"The box was howling, Mack. I swear on my mother's grave, it was gibbering and howling... That box? That box was possessed or somethin'. I'm tellin' you... I hate doing deliveries in this town."

((As promised. One box of wailers. XD))

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

The hot dog vendor nodded to the local construction worker. "So, there's a new mask running around Port Oakes. Knocked over a few armored cars, but no bodies."

"Not surprising," the worker said as he eyed the chili dog. "Plenty of crooks aren't going lethal while they're running a mok."

"Yeah, as far as any one can tell, he's just some guy in a ninja mask. Grey with camo. Has friends, too. And a lot of pyrotechnic stuff. Fireworks and smoke."

"And he's knocking over armored cars, so why is that weird?"  the worker said, confused as to why this was unusual. "A lot of kooky ninjas out there, aren't that."

"I've sen a lot of guys with katanas and smoke bombs, but I've never seen one with a Minnesota accent."

The worker blinked. "You're screwing with me. Extra relish?"

"Yes to the relish, no to messing with you. He's even been caught on security tagging 'Go Vikings' on tags in the Oil Spill."

"You need to cut back on the hooch."

"I'm serious," the vendor said. "Here."

He handed the drifter a folded paper ninja star. When opened, it showed a flier with a bunch of ninjas in silhouette. "The Enra clan is here to help!!" And then same message written in Japanese and Spanish. The drifter blinked. "Okay, that is weird...."

"Dude threw 'em at a Hellion and then ordered two polish dogs," he said with a shrug. "To go."

(Some plot seeds you all can take and have fun with in your RPs. They're vague enough that any direction you take from them, it could be considered 'canon.')

The PPD have been noticing a rather large increase in Council activity in Peregrine Island over the past few weeks. Longbow have been monitoring the situation closely and speculate that the Council are after Portal Corp technology... Why?

As people are rushing to the beaches this summer, the internet is on fire with weird, blurry photos of what looks to be fish people sighted out on the coast of Paragon City. To the knowing hero, it's obvious that they're Coralax. It seems that their numbers are springing up and being sighted in the beaches of Talos, Founders' Falls, and more!

All around the nice neighborhoods and districts of Paragon City, pamphlets are being passed around for a promise of a Pure Earth. The message seems to be very pro-human and anti-mutant.

”Okay. So, I'm at this hot dog cart with my cousin Miguel right? And there was like, like, a two for one deal on chilli dogs.  But you know me, I'm here like I gotta have mine more vanilla kind of guy, right? But there was this chilli that was sublime, bro! Oh, my God!"

"Luis."

"Okay, sorry. Sorry. You know, I just get excited and stuff."

“I aint got all day, get to the point.”

"But anyway, anyway - Miguel tells me: "Yo, I met this crazy a** monster hunter hombre right here at the hot dog cart, like *crazy*, real crazy, like wearing himself tiger striped pants crazy.”  And he goes up to the vendor and says: "Look at that guy I'm talking with? Y'know I sayin' he’s crazy, stupid crazy right?" And the vendor be all like: "Yeah, real stupid crazy!". So this monster hunter tells Miguel: "Yo, I'm like a boss in the world of paranormal and supernatural investigations and eliminations and I got mad connects with the peeps who got more money than sense, you know what I’m saying?”  Miguel is like: "For real?", and he’s like: "Yeah. You know what, I can't tell you who my contact is because he is a big name back in Paragon City, but he want’s me to hunt down and get him Jack in Iron’s chains to hang in his dining room or something.”

"Oh, no."

"Yeah, this dude sounds like a badass, man! Like he comes up to Miguel and says: "Yo, I'm looking for some dudes who's got, like, gorilla sized b*lls, an bomb moves, right? Who you got?". And Miguel’s like: "Well, we got everything nowadays, we got a guy who jumps, we got a guy who swings, we got a guy who crawls up the walls, you gotta be more specific!". And he's like: "Scr*w that I’ll take ‘em all.” “I'm like: Daaamn! So you hook him up Miguel?” And he says “yes.”

“Wait, so what happened?”

“They got ate!”

((Guy called Luis overheard talking with an unnamed stranger while waiting on the Port Oakes ferry.))