First Power Pool - suggestions?

malleable1

HI guys.  I played COH when it first came out, but never got too far.  I just restarted with Homecoming, have forgotten everything and seems things have changed.

I just dinged 4th level so I can choose a new power pool, and pretty confused on what is useful.

I like playing Controller, or Mastermind.  Ranged damage.  I always play with a group of 4 with similar if not the same builds.

I don't think I'd like superspeed.  I guess Flight is nice for Hover.  Sorcery sounds great as I'd get mystic flight and teleport - but its somehow weaker than taking Flight or Teleportation separately, right?  

Big question how does Flight work with the Follow command?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Mal

Personally my 4th level pick is almost always Super Speed.

If you can afford it, add the Celerity Stealth IO. Then you have perfect invisibility and can stealth many missions already at level 4!

As a travel power, I generally prefer Flight and take Hover, Fly and Afterburner (now called something else) soon after.

To answer your other question flight on follow just pulls you on a straight line to your target. If your in a melee mob you tend to get pushed up over top of your target (not a bad thing!)

For controllers and ranged attackers, I prefer travel powers that allow me to get vertical.  This will reduce a great deal of incoming damage and make you more resistant to knockback effects (you flip in the air, instead of getting hurled back and having to stand up again).

Flight or Mystic Flight, is my recommendation.  In answer to your query, it works- but not well.  I sometimes use follow to follow a teammate to a mission location with flight but it does wonky things in combat, so I would not use it for that.  If you're running a rng attacker, you shouldn't need to do that, anyway.

EDIT:  Like Flat Line, I also use Celerity, though I prefer to put mine in Sprint (just a personal preference.  Neither is necessarily a better choice than the other).

Edited by Grindingsucks

Ohhh.  And here's a question on Leadership.  Does it make sense that only one group member has Leadership?  Can that member keep up all four group buffs, or is it necessary to have multiple group members have Leadership so that each person keeps up one buff?

I'm not sure how much of a drain each ablility has or if its possible to have up multiple buffs.

Thanks,

Mal

One Leadership power will buff everyone that's in range.  More toons with leadership will amplify the effect.  So, more = better, but having more is not in any way (IMO, at least) necessary.  I typically always slot mine with two endurance reductions (sometimes only one).  Other people don't bother.  It may depend on how endurance efficient your toon is, overall.  I tend to run AT's that have a lot of toggles, so slotting for ER is very helpful to me.  YMMV and whatnot.

• 2 months later
On 4/26/2021 at 1:59 PM, malleable1 said:

Ohhh, that changes everything .  So stacking Leadership with say x4 Masterminds and their pets would be significant.  

Thanks again guys,

Mal

Should be alot of fun figuring out best combos for an mm quad.

I triple box often and have tried figuring out a good triad.  So far alot of rad and demons or bots (all team fly, ranged damage w heals on auto fire).  But thats case im not actively controlling 2.

You might consider adding a dark or storm to the mix.  Bots and demons best for range.  Although 4 thugs with double burnout and gangware....   

The downside especially with gangwar is missions in close quarters.  The upside is steetsweeping and outdoor missions.  Those will be sofaking fun.

• 2 months later