Error when updating via HC Launcher

Metatheory

• Metatheory changed the title to Error when updating via HC Launcher

If you click on the 3 little dots you can try Revalidating, I was able after the patch to get to login screen but when I tried to connect it booted me. When i closed and reopened the launcher it updated on it own.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

1 minute ago, Marine X said:

If you click on the 3 little dots you can try Revalidating, I was able after the patch to get to login screen but when I tried to connect it booted me. When i closed and reopened the launcher it updated on it own.

Clicking three dots for me gives me "Settings" or "Uninstall"  Went through all the Settings dialogs, no re-validate option in there.  I think that's only for Tequila launcher.  I'm running HomeComing Launcher on this machine.

Again, on Tequila, everything is working fine.

My bad, I just assumed it was there but it's not. I've honestly never had any issues that a restart didn't take care of. According to Number Six the Launcher is self updating/self repairing, no manual update method installed at this time.

Just the basics to check first: ( copied from an earlier topic )

• Make sure the game is not installed to a System controlled folder (My Docs, Downloads, Program Files, etc)
    • Best choice is something like C:\Games\City of Heroes
    • The game is portable in that you can drag the whole folder to a new one, but make sure to correct your shortcuts if you do (desktop link, the MODs app if you're using it, etc)
  • Whitelist the Game folder in your AV/Firewall
    • Most know this by now, but people have said that some AV's definition updates are mucking things up.

Marine X

I have been playing for about an hour. Was switching characters and crashed. Found this error on restart.

EDIT (5:50 am PAC): so after a few minutes (the time it took to make backups of all my settings, binds, costumes, etc...) it seems to be working again.

Edited by Starhammer
new info

from @Grouchybeast regarding no launch/no update...

" Same problem here, except that for a while even trying to update the beta client caused an instant crash of the launcher (I submitted a full crash report).  I rebooted my computer, and I could then successfully update the beta client and subsequently the main client. "

I'm assuming this is the Homecoming Launcher since he does not refer to Tequila but Launcher.

Apparently for them updating the Beta Launcher then allowed Auto Update of HC Launcher.

Edited by Marine X

Marine X

9 minutes ago, Marine X said:

I'm assuming this is the Homecoming Launcher since he does not refer to Tequila but Launcher.

Apparently for them updating the Beta Launcher then allowed Auto Update of HC Launcher.

Yes, that's correct, I'm using the HC Launcher.

ETA: That screenshot is exactly the same error I was seeing.  Once I updated the beta client, the main client updated fine.

Edited by Grouchybeast

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

9 minutes ago, Marine X said:

THIS WORKED FOR ME. I updated the BETA Launcher in the Homecoming Launcher and this fixed the error in  Homecoming "LIVE" launcher

Thanks MarineX 

Edited by Vaderblade

On my third reboot now.  On HC launcher.  Installer is pointing to d:\games\coh.  Can’t update pre-release or Beta, and still can’t update game.

Just downloaded Tequila on this machine.  It’s downloading files now.  

Sounds like I’ll need to revert back to Tequila to play today.

This issue resolved itself for me. After some hours the updater was able to process correctly and the game can launch as normal now. Note: updating the beta shard was not a fix for me, I received the same error for all of the available shards when running the HC Launcher.

For reference, this was the log trace up to the fail point:

image.png.4c106dc879ad8af2d950442f7cb77037.png

7 hours ago, Vaderblade said:

THIS WORKED FOR ME. I updated the BETA Launcher in the Homecoming Launcher and this fixed the error in  Homecoming "LIVE" launcher

Thanks MarineX 

Yes exactly same method. Updated beta section and could immediately log in to live.

No idea why it worked.

21 hours ago, Crysis said:

Clicking three dots for me gives me "Settings" or "Uninstall"

Weird, this is what I see...

HL Menu.JPG

Marine X

I suspect because my HC client was in an error mode the three dots wouldn’t show “Verify” or “Check for Updates.”  I’ll try to remove the client and do a complete reinstall, or just stick with Tequila since it works fine.

6 hours ago, Marine X said:

Weird, this is what I see...

HL Menu.JPG

Just to confirm, those two extra options show up once the client has managed to download the update.  Mine did sometime overnight and they are enabled now.

• Like 1

• 1 year later