Increase Immobilization Protection for Grounded

Please increase the immobilization protection for Electric Armor’s grounded.  I understand that the knockback protection and immobilization protection only while on the ground is considered thematic (although I disagree), but even the immobilization protection while on the ground is pretty useless.  I tried playing an Electric Armor Tanker without Combat Jumping and kept getting immobilized even while on the ground.  By Council, nonetheless.  Six points of immobilization protection just doesn’t cut it, especially on a Tanker.

It really gets my goat that I had to respec into Combat Jumping for immobilization protection, in addition to already having slotted an additional twelve points of knockback protection via IO enhancements when I took a power that is supposed to offer knockback and immobilization protection.  It seriously makes me wonder why bother taking Grounded in the first place.

• Like 1

I am sure there was another thread on this topic awhile back. And of course someone just HAD to argue the power should not be changed for RP/theme reasons!

I cant recall, does Grounded do anything else? +etc? Cause if not, it should. No other set has ONE single power giving -kb, and nothing else.

I'd also give the opinion that playing ANY toon without combat jumping is just madness 🙂

11 minutes ago, Razor Cure said:

I cant recall, does Grounded do anything else?

Yep. It's also +energy (useless, you're over cap anyway) / +negative energy (not useless) / end drain (probably useless due to cap) resistance.

Edited by siolfir
forgot drain resistance, added spaces around /s

9 hours ago, Apparition said:

additional twelve points of knockback protection via IO enhancements when I took a power that is supposed to offer knockback and immobilization protection.

You using 3 individual +4 KB protection in resist or defense sets?  Cause Gladiators 3rd bonus is +3 KB protection, slotting 3 Gladiators Armor in 2 resist toggles is a better option, you are getting +6 KB protection in the process with the +resist you get anyway and then use just 1 Steadfast or Karma, or put a Blessing of the Zephyr in the default slot in a travel power; netting just 10 KB protection.

• Like 1

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

15 hours ago, Razor Cure said:

I am sure there was another thread on this topic awhile back. And of course someone just HAD to argue the power should not be changed for RP/theme reasons!

I cant recall, does Grounded do anything else? +etc? Cause if not, it should. No other set has ONE single power giving -kb, and nothing else.

I'd also give the opinion that playing ANY toon without combat jumping is just madness 🙂

There was another very similar thread, I started it. :P  I asked to remove the "on the ground" requirement for the knockback protection and immobilization protection, but it was decided that the requirement was too thematic to remove.

As @siolfir pointed out, it adds +energy resistance (which is pointless), +negative energy resistance (helpful in rare situations), and endurance drain protection (which honestly is the only reason I can see to still take Grounded).

About two thirds of my characters don't have Combat Jumping.  It's nice to have, but not nearly a requirement IMO.  Every one of my characters takes Fly, Hover, Evasive Maneuvers, and either Speed of Sound or Super Speed so I usually just don't have the room for it.

In my Electric Armor Tanker's build, I legitimately did not have room for Combat Jumping in the build.  But since I was constantly immobilized, I had to respec into it... by replacing Hasten.  Yep.  I had to dump Hasten for Combat Jumping as there was just no room in the build at all.  Thankfully, the secondary is Staff, so between the +recharge from Form of the Mind and the Force Feedback procs in three attacks it isn't bad.

46 minutes ago, Apparition said:

it was decided that the requirement was too thematic to remove

That was one of the complaints about the changes to Rooted, too. But oddly, now you can jump with it. Was it specifically a dev that said it was too thematic? That's who you need to convince, not the rest of us plebs.

1 hour ago, Naraka said:

Is being immobilized for a couple seconds that detrimental?

Yeah, I know it's annoying, but I mean on survival...

Eh... with Electric Armor? Depends on if you used Power Surge or not. Or I guess damage patches, but those aren't combined with a lot of immobilizes when they show up.

It's a bit more detrimental to squishies, depending on how much defense they added to the build - which is why I got in the habit of taking Combat Jumping all the time early on and just really never looked back.

Seems like there are two topics being discussed here. My elec tanker stays on the ground 99% of the time, and does use Combat Jumping (mostly for the very cheap +def), so I've had basically zero trouble with immobilization and only a little with knockback (it basically only happens when I jump over a mob to get to a priority target). But I can certainly see the point that, even as an auto power, Grounded should probably give reliable protection to the effects it protects against.

To the argument about Grounded only working while on the ground... it's thematic, sure, but it's also thematically-restrictive. Want to make a melee storm god (hardly unlikely in the current cultural zeitgeist) who flies around on the wind and strikes like a bolt of thunder from the heavens? Too bad, one of your main mez protection powers basically doesn't work while flying.

1. 3 Armor toggles
  2. 2 (added slots) x 3 (toggles) + 3 (base) = 9 enhancement slots
  3. Gladiator's Resist x 3 = 3rd bonus = +3 KB protection x 3 = 9 KB
  4. ????
  5. PROFIT! You are already getting resist from a plain +Resist modifier for the enhancement, why not get the best of both worlds!

Lots of piddly +0.02 miniscule recovery or regen, +defense bonuses in slots 3-4, several 1.5% smash/lethal resist, and 4 slots to chase 1.88 defense to smash/lethal defense in Unbreakable Guard when you can add 3 slots knock out 3.75% smash/lethal defense with Kinetic combat in Brawl; often seen people wasting 4 slots in multiple armor toggles when you can use just 3.

Getting creative, I came up with these 2 builds

Savage/Electric brute

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Lugnut Defense: Level 50 Technology Brute
Primary Power Set: Savage Melee
Secondary Power Set: Electric Armor
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Maiming Slash -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(7), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9)
Level 2: Lightning Field -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(17)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 6: Conductive Shield -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(19), GldArm-3defTpProc(19)
Level 8: Vicious Slash -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), Hct-Acc/Rchg(21), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(23), Hct-Dam%(23)
Level 10: Static Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(A)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), Rct-ResDam%(25)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(27), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27)
Level 16: Grounded -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), StdPrt-ResKB(29)
Level 18: Rending Flurry -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Arm-Acc/Rchg(31), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Arm-Dam%(31), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(33)
Level 20: Lightning Reflexes -- Run-I(A)
Level 22: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(33), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(33), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 24: Blood Thirst -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(34), GssSynFr--Build%(34)
Level 26: Tough -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-RechEnd(36), GldArm-ResDam(36)
Level 28: Energize -- DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx(A), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(36), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(37), DctWnd-Heal(37), DctWnd-Rchg(37)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(39), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 32: Savage Leap -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(39), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 35: Power Sink -- PrfZng-Taunt(A), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg(42), PrfZng-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(42), PrfZng-Acc/Rchg(42), PrfZng-Taunt/Rng(43), PrfZng-Dam%(43)
Level 38: Hemorrhage -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(45)
Level 41: Gloom -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Acc/Rchg(46), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Apc-Dam%(48)
Level 44: Dark Obliteration -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(48), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(50), Rgn-Knock%(50), Ann-ResDeb%(50)
Level 47: Tactics -- AdjTrg-ToHit/EndRdx(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(9), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(11), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Blood Frenzy 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Qck-EndRdx/RunSpd(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
------------

Mace/Electric Brute

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Lugnut Defense: Level 49 Technology Brute
Primary Power Set: War Mace
Secondary Power Set: Electric Armor
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Pyre Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Pulverize -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Charged Armor -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(7), GldArm-ResDam(7)
Level 2: Lightning Field -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(15)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 6: Conductive Shield -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-Res/Rech/End(17), GldArm-ResDam(19)
Level 8: Clobber -- Hct-Dmg/Rchg(A), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Hct-Acc/Rchg(21), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Hct-Dam%(23)
Level 10: Static Shield -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-RechRes(23), GldArm-ResDam(25)
Level 12: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def(25), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(27), Rct-ResDam%(27)
Level 14: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 16: Grounded -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(29)
Level 18: Whirling Mace -- Arm-Dmg/Rchg(A), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), Arm-Acc/Rchg(31), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Arm-Dam%(31), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(33)
Level 20: Lightning Reflexes -- Run-I(A)
Level 22: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(33)
Level 24: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(33), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(34), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 26: Shatter -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(34), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 28: Energize -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(37), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(37), Prv-Heal/Rchg(37), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(39), Prv-Absorb%(39)
Level 30: Tough -- GldArm-End/Res(A), GldArm-RechRes(39), GldArm-ResDam(40)
Level 32: Crowd Control -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(40), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(40), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-%Dam(42)
Level 35: Power Sink -- MckBrt-Taunt(A), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg(43), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(43), MckBrt-Acc/Rchg(43), MckBrt-Taunt/Rng(45), MckBrt-Rchg(45)
Level 38: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(45)
Level 41: Jawbreaker -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(46), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(47)
Level 44: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A), HO:Cyto(47)
Level 47: Ring of Fire -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Apc-Acc/Rchg(48), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Apc-Dam%(49)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Brawl -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(9), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(9), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Jump-I(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
------------

Like the Mace better then savage, the animation time of Mace kills it while Savage seems to have endurance issues.  Both are not incarnate yet, but tank pretty well for a brute.  high end, not so much but can easily shrug off any KB attacks while in the air when Grounded is not in effect.

"Farming is just more fun in my opinion, beating up hordes of angry cosplayers...."  - Coyotedancer

4 hours ago, Jarrakul said:

To the argument about Grounded only working while on the ground... it's thematic, sure, but it's also thematically-restrictive. Want to make a melee storm god (hardly unlikely in the current cultural zeitgeist) who flies around on the wind and strikes like a bolt of thunder from the heavens? Too bad, one of your main mez protection powers basically doesn't work while flying.

Both of those mez holes are easily circumvented without heavy investment.  I personally wouldn't use RP as a reason to buff a set as RP is its own counter.  Just because you're a melee storm god doesn't mean someone can't send you flying on your ass (i.e. see Mortal Kombat's Raiden).

1 hour ago, Naraka said:

Both of those mez holes are easily circumvented without heavy investment.  I personally wouldn't use RP as a reason to buff a set as RP is its own counter.  Just because you're a melee storm god doesn't mean someone can't send you flying on your ass (i.e. see Mortal Kombat's Raiden).

My point is less that RP is a reason to buff the set and more that RP is a bad reason to keep it as it is. If you think the set would be uniquely imbalanced with the ability to fly, well, fair enough. But "concept" doesn't really work to defend how a power works when it hurts as many concepts as it supports.

4 hours ago, Jarrakul said:

You flip while flying in CoH, which unlike Thor who gets sent flying backwards when the Hulk hits him.

14 minutes ago, Jarrakul said:

My point is less that RP is a reason to buff the set and more that RP is a bad reason to keep it as it is. If you think the set would be uniquely imbalanced with the ability to fly, well, fair enough. But "concept" doesn't really work to defend how a power works when it hurts as many concepts as it supports.

It's not RP that is the reason that mez protection is in Grounded, that's theme.

I think, overall, protection in Armors is often sprinkled in by theme.  It's why some sets don't have confuse protection but other sets will put it in a power like Focused Fighting and not just shove it all in the "catch all" Practiced Brawler, for example.  Because armor sets are pretty bland and limited in scope/function, often times theme is used to flavor them which is why Electric Armor caps Energy resist but not Negative Energy resist or that Invul has low Psi resist.

I'm not arguing to keep the power as is (mainly because the power creep train has no brakes), moreso that requiring the players to work with/around the overall themes of the sets can have its ups and downs but downs are not grounds to advocate for more ups.

1 minute ago, Naraka said:

I'm not arguing to keep the power as is (mainly because the power creep train has no brakes), moreso that requiring the players to work with/around the overall themes of the sets can have its ups and downs but downs are not grounds to advocate for more ups.

48 minutes ago, Naraka said:

It's not RP that is the reason that mez protection is in Grounded, that's theme.

I don't understand the distinction you're trying to make here.

To my mind, there's a very obvious thematic connection between lightning, storm, wind, and flight, and it feels very strange to have this set in particular be the one that punishes you for flying. While I do understand the thematic argument in favor of the ground-only restriction (it's a nod to electrical grounding, though that makes more sense for the energy resist portion of the power than the knock/immob protection portion, which is the part you actually lose while airborne), I think there's a similarly-powerful thematic argument against it (lightning comes from the sky, so lightning characters should be able to do the same). Again, my point is not that we should all bow to one thematic argument over the other, but that the existence of thematic arguments in both directions undermines the thematic case in either direction. If you want to make a power-creep argument, that's entirely separate from my point. I don't know that I'd agree that it would be power creep, but honestly I don't really care on that point.

(And to the folks pointing out that Thor goes flying when the Hulk hits him, of course he does, but he goes flying if he's on the ground too, and so does Captain America. The Hulk's knockback is pretty high-mag.)

6 minutes ago, Jarrakul said:

I don't understand the distinction you're trying to make here.

Theme is the game's structured building blocks that you utilize to create characters.  Examples:

• Fire burns.  Fire only does DoT.  It has no other secondary effect.
  • Stalkers are sneaky and not tanky.  They inherently have less staying-power than other melee ATs.
  • Weapons are physical.  They do smashing or lethal damage. Bludgeoning often causes KB or stun. Slashing often causes -def and bleeding.
  • Super Reflexes act and react faster.  This is portrayed by +speed, +rech and a protection to Confuse but doesn't make you fearless or privy to fear tactics.

RP is your particular thematic considerations.  Some examples:

• That isn't fire my blaster is using, it's soul-flare, a spiritual energy that harms wicked foes.
  • My Stalker is indominable and unkillable, he can be reduced to ash and pull his particles back together by sheer willpower.  The only thing that can truly vanquish him is his own ability to disintegrate matter at a touch.
  • My weapon is made of high tech energy.  It splits things on an atomic level.
  • My Scrapper sees the future and reacts by seeing ahead 8 seconds at a time. 

The theme of the Electric Armor set says you only are protected from KB while on the ground.  Your melee storm god being able to fly and be immune to KB is something you can fulfill with IOs or power selection.

19 minutes ago, Jarrakul said:

To my mind, there's a very obvious thematic connection between lightning, storm, wind, and flight, and it feels very strange to have this set in particular be the one that punishes you for flying. While I do understand the thematic argument in favor of the ground-only restriction (it's a nod to electrical grounding, though that makes more sense for the energy resist portion of the power than the knock/immob protection portion, which is the part you actually lose while airborne), I think there's a similarly-powerful thematic argument against it (lightning comes from the sky, so lightning characters should be able to do the same). 

Like I said before, armor sets tend to be limited in scope.  They are meant to build up a character's ability to take punishment to such a degree they reach a benchmark in performance rather than fill a thematic niche.  They always have to provide a certain level of sustain and/or mitigation and everything outside of that is theme.  That is the ONLY way we can differentiate them (outside of costume FX) otherwise all of them would provide the same benefits at the same level in the same circumstances.

As for the theme of grounded, I tend to feel it has to do with direction.  Electricity can be pretty unpredictable but grounding it makes it more predictable which is why you have a better chance to protect yourself when you manage your ground.  Not every character using Elec Armor is an electric manipulator/god.  Some just expel it and have no control, others just suck it up or are just made of it.  I believe it is a common trope in electric-type characters that, for the underdog to overcome the sheer power and speed of lightning, they'll devise a trap or direct the discharge in some way to gain an upperhand for a split second. 

28 minutes ago, Jarrakul said:

Again, my point is not that we should all bow to one thematic argument over the other, but that the existence of thematic arguments in both directions undermines the thematic case in either direction. 

I'm not really defending the argument of theme, though, I've been mainly just explaining it.  I'm moreso defending the argument of structure.  On the power creep front, this suggestion isn't really all that far from asking for Psi resist in Invul or trying to fill up the Neg Energy hole in Elec Armor purely because it adheres to a theme you don't agree with.  Now if the benchmark for survivability was particularly negatively impacted (and moreso than Fire or DA's complete lack of KB protection), that could be a starting point but so is Trick Arrow not having a heal arrow or any other plethora of thematic structure built in the game for the player to work out themselves.

If they removed the ground-limitation of Grounded, it wouldn't be any skin off my back.  Like I said, we've already started the downward spiral.  It's not that changing Elec Armor would speed up that spiral or that keeping things as is would stop the spiral.  I'm just presenting the contrary point.  Take that as you will.

• Like 1