Frequent Crash-to-login or zoning failuers after May 30 patch

RagManX2

Somehow, the latest patch disagrees with my laptop. Prior to yesterday, I had no problems with the game. Since patching yesterday, I experience crash to login screen or another hard-to-explain issue (noted below) about half the time when I try to load or logout to character select screen.

When I try to zone, sometimes the game appears to hang for about 30 seconds. No loading bar on the screen, just the switch from the character screen to the pre-loading screen you see when you zone. After this hang, I get returned to the map screen I was on, only there is no GUI and no characters (not me, not anyone else who was visible), with the camera approximately where it was when I clicked the door or the tram to load a new zone. To give an idea of how frequent this is, last night I ran a Synapse TF, and every single map caused a zone loading crash or return-to-prior-zone failure either on entering or exiting the mission. I had to Alt-F4 and restart Tequila 6 times during the run.

I have rebooted my laptop. I have re-validated the game files. I was one level behind on nVidia drivers, but I updated to the latest last night. My game is configured to use the nVidia card, and not the built-in Intel graphics card. I have not reloaded from scratch, but that is the next thing I plan on doing. No one else in the CoH discord I frequent is having this problem, so I recognize the issue almost certainly has to be with my system, but I can't figure out what is wrong.

I'm running on an MSI gaming laptop. I have 32 Gig of Memory and 3 TB of storage. I load my hard drive pretty full, but I'm still sitting at about 10% free. I'm running on an nVidia 1070 mobile video card with 8 Gig of VRAM. I'm running Windows 10, patched with all available updates from Microsoft. CoH is installed under d:\games, so there shouldn't be a permissions problem, and I have excluded d:\games from my Norton scan. I've even tried disabling Norton and running the game. I still have frequent failures to load new zones. I never crash completely out of the game, and never have problems *except* when I try to zone, but when I fail to zone and return to my prior zone with no GUI, I have to Alt-F4 the game and restart.

Does anyone have a guess as to what could be wrong?

1) Crud. Can't believe I made a spelling error in the title of this message.

2) A fresh install did not alleviate the problem. I still get a failure to zone which leaves the camera in the last good zone pointing where it was when I tried to exit the working zone.

Hi!  Having the same issue.  Was fine on red side for a mission...switched to blue side and started having that issue when zoning or exiting the missions. 

I'm putting in a help ticket now...  hopefully it's fixed before my sg runs a tf this weekend!!!

I am experiencing similar issues. I was running solo missions in the Night Ward and would crash every time I entered a new mission. I could only enter one mission per log in. As soon as I tried to enter the next mission the map would fail to load and the game would crash. In fact, it makes me restart my laptop. I had no such problems (or any problems) prior to the latest update.

Me too, exact same symptoms (after hitting exit for a mission, loading hangs, only to turn back up with the camera on the old zone with no UI or characters).  Started yesterday, tried doing a TF but kept running into the issue and dropped.  Switched characters, same problem.  I'm on Everlasting.

I'm having the same issue, and have opened a ticket on it as well. I believe that it is server load related - the issue is happening at times of high server load, but not at low server load. During a period that Torchbearer was at high load I had the problem there, but Reunion, which was at a lower load, did not seem to have the issue.

I am also having this issue, more so when I leave a completed mission or need to enter one it seems to stop and hang and then becomes non-responsive and I need to close and restart the game to get it running. If I wait long enough it will go back to where I last was but there is nothing there like the aforementioned UI or anything. It does not happen all the time, but close to 60-75% of it.

Similar issue, game freezes/hangs on a a loading screen. Login, zoning, etc. Have to end task the game as it just sits on the screen. Issue just started today. I was fine at 3am central but not during the day today. Messing with settings and re-installing the game has not fixed it. Support Ticket filed.

Also having this issue. I'll try to enter a mission and get locked at the loading screen, requiring that I close the extension via Task Manager to get out of it. Have also had two screen freezes so far tonight, one when trying to log in and one when logging out of a character.

Having the same issue. Just did it to me again when I tried to use the Subway to Zone from AP3 to Steel Canyon. I get the COH splash page but it never switches to the Steel Canyon loading screen. After about 30 sec or so it dumps be back at the subway in AP3 I belive with no UI, no characters, nothing. At that point I have to kill the process and re-launch the game.

error01.jpg

error02.jpg

Have any of you filed a ticket on this?  With this many of you having the issue and no response here I assume the GMs are too busy too keep up with the forum as well as the discord and the ticket system.

I have filed a ticket.

But this has been going on for weeks now.

Currently trying to get into the game, 8 attempts to get PI to zone have failed so far. Guess I won't be finishing this STF.

Got back in game after ten tries.

Same issue.  Leave mission, game hangs and takes forever, finally shows destination map with no characters and no UI, does not accept any input.  Have to go to Task Manager and shut it down that way (yuck!).  I don't typically have trouble getting back into the game, and it doesn't happen every mission.  Just enough to be a PITA.

Oddly, I didn't have this problem Friday or Saturday, so I thought something had changed and a patch had been released. But today, I'm having the problem again and it's worse than it has been. I had to login 5 times earlier today to get a character loaded, then the game hung on me when I tried to exit my first mission. The problem doesn't happen as often on my 2ndary account as it does on my primary account, and I don't know what to make of that. But on my primary, I'm seeing failure to zone about 80% of the time now.

I've been having the same issue for a while now, even before the patch.  Sometimes, I'll go a few missions in a row with no issue, but the majority of the time I get stuck on the loading screen.  Eventually, it'll crash back to the login screen and then tell me that I'm already logged in.  Happy as I am to be back, this is seriously putting me off playing. :(

I've posted a couple times here about it, but no response.  I've done a fresh install, with no luck.  I even installed to a different hard drive, thinking that might be the case, but no luck there either.  I haven't submitted a ticket yet, mostly because a) I don't know how, and b) I'm not optimistic about that helping.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've been having the same crash problems for several days now.  It's always at the loading screen for a zone at exactly the same point in the progress bar that sithlorddrew shows in the image attached.

The only thing that seems odd about it is that I rarely have this issue during the daytime (PST).  It's only around 11pm or so that it really seems to kick in and happen a lot.

Altaholic

I've been having the same issue for a while now, even before the patch.  Sometimes, I'll go a few missions in a row with no issue, but the majority of the time I get stuck on the loading screen.  Eventually, it'll crash back to the login screen and then tell me that I'm already logged in.  Happy as I am to be back, this is seriously putting me off playing. :(

I've posted a couple times here about it, but no response.  I've done a fresh install, with no luck.  I even installed to a different hard drive, thinking that might be the case, but no luck there either.  I haven't submitted a ticket yet, mostly because a) I don't know how, and b) I'm not optimistic about that helping.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Submitting a ticket didn't help, just generic advice. Which leads me to believe they aren't yet sure what is causing the problem.

Edit: This time I've been trying to log into my Scrapper that is in PI for an hour now.