to whom it may concern: my computer died

cohRock

... and I seem to be up and running on new equipment now.  On first CoH login it suggested I activate the ultra graphic settings, which i did, using the larger feature set offered.  Thanks all who commented.

The biggest lesson I learned is that FedEx tracking at "6-8 business days", is not anywhere near as good as the tracking I am used to with Amazon Prime's 2-day shipping.  It is quite possible that HP got the computer to FedEx last Friday, which is why they printed the label.  Then it might have set there in Tennessee thru the weekend and until Tuesday morning.  The tracking did not update itself until the evening, but when it did, it said the package arrived in Ocala, Florida about noon earlier that day.  So what HP was telling me the whole time was correct (except for the 'Out of Stock" notice on the my cart page).  The package had shipped, but FedEx never told me they received it until I saw that the package was in Ocala.

Edited by cohRock
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Rock

On 6/4/2021 at 6:47 PM, Glacier Peak said:

On the RTX 3060 card, you can connect: 1 HDMI 2.1 and 3 Display Port 1.4a cables for multi monitor set ups. There is only the graphics card to the monitor cable and/or audio output if you are using a display port cable.

Since I have the system up and running, I saw what you mean.  I was surprised only 1 HDMI.  What is advantage to DisplayPort?  If I go dual monitor, would I want to use two of the DisplayPorts, or will there be some weird limitation with one DisplayPort and one HDMI?

Edited by cohRock

-- Rock

1 hour ago, cohRock said:

Since I have the system up and running, I saw what you mean.  I was surprised only 1 HDMI.  What is advantage to DisplayPort?  If I go dual monitor, would I want to use two of the DisplayPorts, or will there be some weird limitation with one DisplayPort and one HDMI?

To answer your question: If you want to use dual monitors - do either of the monitors have built in speakers? If they do, do you plan on using them? If yes, HDMI makes it so you don't need an additional audio cable (in at least one of the monitors). If not, use Display Port for both.

The difference is that the HDMI 2.1 cable can output video AND audio signal, while Display Port has a larger bandwidth, due in large part to it ONLY outputting video (and not audio) signal. 

For example, I have two monitors. One monitor has a built in speaker (it's also a higher resolution and refresh rate, 1400p/165Hz) and the other is a 1080p with no speaker. I use a Display Port cable to hook up to the 1440p/165Hz monitor to enable it to reach its maximum potential (refresh rate and resolution) and a separate audio cable to connect the audio output.

I use an HDMI cable to go to my 1080p monitor because it doesn't need an audio output option since it has no speaker and has low resolution. 

Newer certifications like HDMI 2.1 (updated from 2.0) and Display Port 1.4a (updated from 1.4) on the video card ports makes it so you can use more of the HDMI and Display Port cable bandwidth.

I kind of like to think of it as... a big pipeline. On one end, your graphics card, it has a large capacity for rendering stuff, but it can't push it all through the pipe at once. It is constrained by the diameter of the pipe. The updates to the ports make it so more can go through the pipe.

Hope that helps (or if smarter folks can explain it better, I defer to their expertise!)

Edited by Glacier Peak

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

@Glacier Peak Thank you.  I thought DisplayPort supported both video and audio just like HDMI.  Regardless, I asked same question at Tom's Hardware and was told with the displays I am using, it won't matter if one is HDMI and one is DisplayPort.  The monitors I have ordered are HP 24mh FHD, supporting 1920*1080 @75 Hz.  Each has stereo speakers, but I see no need to have sound come from both of them.  So even if I couldn't use sound on the DisplayPort-connected monitor, I don't think it would matter.  It would be kind of cool if the monitors supported an audio pass-thru that could be set to left/both/right.  Ie.  both speakers on one could be left and both speakers on the other could be right.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Rock

12 hours ago, cohRock said:

I thought DisplayPort supported both video and audio just like HDMI...............................

DisplayPort does indeed. DP can carry audio, video and even some types of data simultaneously. It's

a different interface & plug shape so it is not interchangeable with HDMI but they otherwise serve

a similar function. Just pay attention to the version number if there is a specific feature you want

e.g. if you want to run HDR (High Dynamic Range) use HDMI2.0a or DP1.4 or newer. If there

are any issues check if the cables (often overlooked) are also the correct version of the spec.

16 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

..................Display Port has a larger bandwidth, .................. ONLY outputting video (and not audio) signal.....................

That depends entirely on the version. E.g. HDMI2.1 Supports 10K @ 120Hz but DP1.4 can only run 8k @ 60Hz.

You might be confusing the ability to carry audio with ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (enhanced

version for uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 or DTS:X or Atmos) technology which is HDMI exclusive. ARC not

only allows audio to be sent but also received thereby requiring fewer cables and reducing clutter.

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png