Opinions on SS Or En for fire tank?

flakoff

Energy Melee has high single target damage which will compliment Burn's AoE pretty well. Whirling Hands on a tanker is pretty solid too.

SS brings proc opportunities for force feedback +recharge which can really fuel Fire Armor's best powers.

Personally the rage crash downtime of 10 seconds is too much for me, so I'd almost always pick Energy Melee, even though I prefer builds that take advantage of Force Feedback.

• Like 1

SS does decent damage with one stack, great damage with double stacks, but not having AoE until 38 is a severe deal breaker. Rage is also almost a self-CC every two minutes (or one minute if we stack) where we yawn, twiddle our thumbs and go make a sammich waiting for the -damage to wear off. Assuming the -def doesn't screw you up (yes. -def debuffs hurt resistance based sets).

Energy Melee does the best single target damage and has pretty decent AoE nowadays thanks to the combo of Power Crash, Whirling Hands, Power Crash. Downsides is that the big single target hitter comes very late as well as Power Crash. It also has a bit of a problem in making a rotation (IMO that eventually forces to use Barrage, but this is minor and still does the best ST damage a Tanker can get.

More well rounded options would be Claws (great in ST and AoE, FF options) or Radiation Melee (great for AoE, decent ST spoiled by the slooooooooooooow animations).

Or Martial arts (specifically with Fire Armor) as in my signature.

Edited by Sovera
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sovera said:

SS does decent damage with one stack, great damage with double stacks, but not having AoE until 38 is a severe deal breaker.

People keep saying this, and maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Rage didn't stack anymore?

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

People keep saying this, and maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Rage didn't stack anymore?

There was an attempt at making it so in the test server, but it never came out of it.

1 hour ago, Psyonico said:

Here's a random question.  If they made it where Rage didn't have the crash but the trade off was it is not stackable would we be ok with that?

1 hour ago, Perfect Weapon said:

Here's a random question.  If they made it where Rage didn't have the crash but the trade off was it is not stackable would we be ok with that?

The devs tried that as well, but it's night impossible to please everyone. The appeal of Rage is how it stacks to something brutal like 160% damage. To the point SS without Rage is crummy because it -can't- be good or Rage will blow the set out of the water. So their effort was met by a wall of resistance from the players who don't mind the constant crashing because they could enjoy the 160% damage boost.

At the time the devs were only trying to do a pass of Rage, and there was so much resistance they gave up and with good reason. In order for Rage to be tweaked into losing its - frankly abominable - downsides will require a complete set re-design like Titan Weapons got.

2 minutes ago, Sovera said:

The devs tried that as well, but it's night impossible to please everyone. The appeal of Rage is how it stacks to something brutal like 160% damage. To the point SS without Rage is crummy because it -can't- be good or Rage will blow the set out of the water. So their effort was met by a wall of resistance from the players who don't mind the constant crashing because they could enjoy the 160% damage boost.

At the time the devs were only trying to do a pass of Rage, and there was so much resistance they gave up and with good reason. In order for Rage to be tweaked into losing its - frankly abominable - downsides will require a complete set re-design like Titan Weapons got.

Guess I was unaware that they tried it before.  For me, personally, I don't mind the crash as I've made my Fire/SS pretty good so he can survive the crash, but I do see the appeal in not crashing and just have it available one at a time.