How is the pvp in this game?

Illy

I have 2 questions as a player who is currently absent from the game. 

1. Is it active?

2. Are controllers still underpowered? When I last played it was just blasters alpha-sniping one another.

6 hours ago, Illy said:

I have 2 questions as a player who is currently absent from the game. 

1. Is it active?

2. Are controllers still underpowered? When I last played it was just blasters alpha-sniping one another.

The PvP crowd is small, but dedicated.

Best place to find out what's going on is the official PvP discord:

https://discord.gg/vtXcKj9SAy

If you're into melee vs melee fights, I run a discord here for that:

https://discord.gg/gKwZKW7yZT

• Like 1

Join the Homecoming PvP Fightclub Discord 
What is Fightclub?  Fightclub is PVP between two melee players fighting to the death in melee range with no moving/retreating allowed. It's like pylon testing...but the pylon hits back! Perfect for players who enjoy min/maxing builds. Click the discord link above for more info.

I would just like to say, as a player who is more on the outside looking in, so to speak, that it would be really nice to hear that all classes are viable and welcome in pvp. I would come back to the game at that point. If controller holds become powerful again, as they used to be, it actually necessitate more complex group compositions. 

Sometimes its good to listen to feedback from players who are outside of the entrenched pvp community. Take the advice or leave it, just wanted to give you my two cents. 

• Sad 2

On 7/13/2021 at 12:12 PM, Illy said:

I would just like to say, as a player who is more on the outside looking in, so to speak, that it would be really nice to hear that all classes are viable and welcome in pvp. I would come back to the game at that point. If controller holds become powerful again, as they used to be, it actually necessitate more complex group compositions. 

Sometimes its good to listen to feedback from players who are outside of the entrenched pvp community. Take the advice or leave it, just wanted to give you my two cents. 

I think your advice is spot on, but unfortunately the game is not at all balanced in this regard.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/13/2021 at 3:12 PM, Illy said:

What is kind of funny is the "entrenched" pvp crowd recognized controller holds were so powerful that they were literally banworthy across 8 v 8 matches even down to around 5 v 5's.    Not being able to move for 3-6 seconds when a player can die in less than 1 second (or even a single server tic) meant that holds were a death sentence with their  base 4 second duration.

However, this increased viability came at the cost of their 1 v 1 prowess.   Builds like Ill/Storm, Ice/Rad, Fire/Rad, etc no longer really worked in 1 v 1's because 1 v 1 matches vs. hard CC AT's no longer became "how fast can I run my opponent out of BF's so they simply can't play their character the rest of the match".  While this was a positive change, the 1 v 1 system overall is still pretty out of sorts and with so many sets, power combinations, and IO's / builds / etc whether it was the i12 system or the i13 one it'd still be pretty broken and monumental to balance. 

When clear mind and equivalents started to give mez protection again, they were unbanned and you regularly see at least two controllers (grav or Ill/emps or pains) and sometimes you'll see a niche debuffer Ill/rad or Ill/psn run.  So as far as "controllers becoming powerful again" they are to the point where the the portion of the community who plays this game as a team game actually came together to soft ban 4second + holds.  They might not be the way that you want them to be, but they still have their purpose in PvP.

While it'd might be great if every AT and every powerset was viable in 1 v 1, 2 v 2, 4 v 4 up to 8 v 8 matches I think realistically you (and pretty much anyone else) would have to accept that some things are going to be better at certain facets of PvP just by the sheer variety of things that exists.  

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Look just my opinion and I dont PvP like I did on live.

Id participate if it wasnt the same thing all the time all the time (i know yall change whats banned and try and mix it up but its all arena, I do think there are some zone only peeps you miss out on).  Like some Bloody Bay events, sirens or warburg.  I havent seen activity in those zones in forever.  Put some money behind it, maybe a warburg event, first person with a nuke wins, and 1 billion inf to fund it.  Not like we all dont have the money.  Or a bloody even with shivans.  Thats stuff I would make sure I was home to try.  We have this huge world and we seem stuck in how we use it.

By far my favorite pvp event was end of CoV beta.  GMs in the middle of Bloody Bay PvP huge groups of Vills and Heroes facing off back and forth across the zone.  Even with low power levels was amazing.  Id like to see more of that here.  And as far as I know it hasnt been tried.  I get it most of you arena types dont really want low level zone.  But thats where yall used to get your new recruits.

Lastly #freebritney and #freetaunt

• Thumbs Up 1

• 10 months later
On 7/18/2021 at 2:02 PM, RageusQuitus2 said:

Look just my opinion and I dont PvP like I did on live.

Id participate if it wasnt the same thing all the time all the time (i know yall change whats banned and try and mix it up but its all arena, I do think there are some zone only peeps you miss out on).  Like some Bloody Bay events, sirens or warburg.  I havent seen activity in those zones in forever.  Put some money behind it, maybe a warburg event, first person with a nuke wins, and 1 billion inf to fund it.  Not like we all dont have the money.  Or a bloody even with shivans.  Thats stuff I would make sure I was home to try.  We have this huge world and we seem stuck in how we use it.

By far my favorite pvp event was end of CoV beta.  GMs in the middle of Bloody Bay PvP huge groups of Vills and Heroes facing off back and forth across the zone.  Even with low power levels was amazing.  Id like to see more of that here.  And as far as I know it hasnt been tried.  I get it most of you arena types dont really want low level zone.  But thats where yall used to get your new recruits.

Lastly #freebritney and #freetaunt

I think most of the PvPers (if not all of them) play exclusively in arenas. Used to be the other way around before the cursed I-13 (so many corner-cage fight clubs in Siren's Call back in the day), but that was when the game functioned in fundamentally similar ways in PvP as it did in PvE. The main problem with PvP is that people expect to play City of X while they're doing it but they definitely don't post I-13, you're essentially playing a completely different game. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/8/2022 at 7:54 PM, Killawar said:

I think most of the PvPers (if not all of them) play exclusively in arenas. Used to be the other way around before the cursed I-13 (so many corner-cage fight clubs in Siren's Call back in the day), but that was when the game functioned in fundamentally similar ways in PvP as it did in PvE. The main problem with PvP is that people expect to play City of X while they're doing it but they definitely don't post I-13, you're essentially playing a completely different game. 

man, those good ol days of sirens call PvP were incredible. such a memorable moment of my CoX career that i’ll always value

- Sirens was *the* place to be. It was heaving blueside and redside permanently 

- So many different ATs were viable, you’d have a fighting chance on a lot of different builds

- People would make characters specifically for sirens call

- Big group battles at the hero entrance or villain entrance, like angry wasps attacking each other

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

man, those good ol days of sirens call PvP were incredible.

Yes they were. I remember the gathering place near the hero base where the street started to dip and the skyscrapers by the construction sites began. People used to gather there and wait for the tumbleweeds to roll by before the fight started. 

• Like 3