Cubicle Seven announced earlier this week that a second edition of the Doctor Who RPG is in the pipeline. No announcement of when it will be released nor pricing, however.

The award-winning Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game has regenerated into a new Second Edition that is faster, easier, and even more exciting. This book presents all the rules and background you need to voyage across space and time with the Doctor, or as new characters experiencing brand new epic adventures.

[...] The new and updated version of the popular Vortex system is completely compatible with the First Edition of the game. Second Edition makes gameplay faster, easier, and quicker to learn, while keeping all of the dramatic action you’d expect from an episode of Doctor Who.

[...] Revised rules for creating your group’s own TARDIS, or other time travel device to allow them to adventure from the dawn of history to the very ends of the Universe.

CB71104_Doctor-Who-2E-Revised-SMALLER-1200x1506.thumb.jpg.b4049ed0c48e7e304bbf84257c1152d9.jpg

I am definitely interested.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Krimson said:

I still have the FASA game. I also have the Timelord RPG that was published by the BBC. The FASA game used similar mechanics to the Star Trek RPG, and I mostly used it as source material for other RPGs. 

I still have my copy of the old FASA game, too. I haven't played it in decades, but it's still over there on the gaming shelf. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

The collector's edition has been announced, and it looks beautiful.  I've been mostly buying books digitally the past several years to conserve physical bookshelf space, but I'm definitely making an exception here.

DW-CE-2-copy-1200x875.thumb.jpg.788a6044b0955666c3d0cd42c3a2928c.jpg

14 hours ago, DougGraves said:

Dr Who doesn't strike me as a good subject for an RPG.  The Dr is so much more knowledgeable and powerful than the companions.  How do they make the game work so it isn't just the Dr doing everything?

Well, for one, you can play one of the fourteen Doctors if you wish, or you could play another Time Lord of your own making, among other choices.  You even get to make your own TARDIS.

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

Well, for one, you can play one of the fourteen Doctors if you wish, or you could play another Time Lord of your own making, among other choices.  You even get to make your own TARDIS.

So you play with multiple time lords?

If you're being clever then you get one player to play the Doctor (or other Timelord)  and the others the companions and after a couple of adventures or more something terrible happens and the Doctor regenerates and a companion leaves.  And the roles move around.  ROFL.  Let's hope that the new player was paying attention to what the Doctor was doing before because those are their memories now!  And here's a new companion!

Edited by Darmian

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

Both print editions are now available for pre-order, and the PDF is out!

Regular print edition here, collector's edition here, and the PDF edition here.

Note that pre-ordering either of the print editions will give you immediate access to the PDF edition. I pre-ordered the collector's edition, and look forward to reading the PDF this weekend!

On 7/25/2021 at 9:18 PM, DougGraves said:

Dr Who doesn't strike me as a good subject for an RPG.  The Dr is so much more knowledgeable and powerful than the companions.  How do they make the game work so it isn't just the Dr doing everything?

It works best with a small group based on the way my university crew played the old FASA version... One or two time lord characters plus a couple of companions at most. In that version's actual game system there wasn't as much difference playability-wise between the characters as you might think.

The best run I can remember being personally involved with was a trio game... One GM and two players. If you remember the older series' at all, for we two players it was a very Doctor-and-Leela kind of thing. It worked surprisingly well.  

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice