The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Nothing Says 'Brute' Like: The CHAINSAW set

If you saw the Whip set I just posted, you may have noticed I said it was available to every currently-extant Melee AT save one - why? Because there's nothing "Brutish" about Whips; they're a finesse weapon. So what do Brutes, and Brutes alone, get instead? Let me tell you:

CHAINSAW (Melee)

Available to: Brutes

Set Color: Black-on-Dark Yellow

The Chainsaw is a slow and unwieldy weapon with a penalty to accuracy, but the damage it deals is second to none. It leaves hideous wounds that heal poorly (inflicting cumulative Gore counters that both retard regeneration and reduce received healing), and sometimes bleed for additional damage.

1) Thrust – a simple, relatively quick attack with your chainsaw that bestows 1 Gore counter.

Damage: Moderate Lethal Recharge: Fast

2) Carve – a slower and stronger attack than Thrust that leaves the target with a horrible wound and 1 Gore counter.

Damage: Superior Lethal Recharge: Moderate

3) Mangle – a gruesome attack that wreaks havoc on the victim's healing processes, bestowing 2 Gore counters and causing it to bleed for additional damage over time.

Damage: Superior Lethal Recharge: Slow

4) Build Up

5) Whirl – you spin your chainsaw around you, assaulting all nearby enemies and leaving them with nasty wounds and 1 Gore Counter each. Damage: High Lethal Recharge: Moderate

6) Taunt

7) Brandish – you rev your chainsaw loudly and wave it around menacingly, causing enemies around you to cower in fear. Recharge: Slow

😎 Butcher – a monstrous attack so horrible to watch that other nearby enemies may momentarily enter a state of shock, snapping out of it sooner if they themselves are attacked. If the target survives, it is left with 2 Gore counters, as well as a gruesome wound that deals additional damage over time.

Damage: Extreme Lethal Recharge: Slow

9) Massacre – You swing your chainsaw in an arc, attacking all enemies in front of you, and leaving them with 3 Gore counters each.

Example Character Concept: The Menacing Cutting Edge! (Villainous Chainsaw/Energy Aura Technology Brute)

Edited by AspieAnarchy
changed a word; color-coded attack damage-types
  • Thumbs Up 1

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

3 hours ago, arcane said:

I like the mental image I’m getting from Brandish.

Might I ask for details? I could guess, but I wouldn't want to 'lead' you. :)

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

12 hours ago, AspieAnarchy said:

Might I ask for details? I could guess, but I wouldn't want to 'lead' you. 🙂

Oh nothing special. Just something about a supposed superhero waving a rusty chainsaw in the air while revving it like a lawn mower and 17 baddies going through the terrorized animation over it..   smidge more comical than most of the powers we have.

And yet less ridiculous than the Staff PBAoE breakdance attack all the same.

Edited by arcane
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Lazarillo said:

Brutes (and whatever else) already have a chainsaw set, though, via BS, Katana, or Titan Weapons.  Or Dual Blades if one Chainsaw isn't enough.

It's not unheard of to create multiple sets for what is effectively the same kind of damage or even concept.  Examples:

Martial Arts vs Street Justice

Energy Blast vs Beam Rifle

Claws vs Savage Melee

The most important thing to differentiate them is through their power effects and unique mechanics.  For this set, I'd probably aim for DoT.  Not particularly bleeding but literally damage over the duration of the attack.  The OP mention the set being slow and I'd contrast that with the effects activating super quick but the animations being on the slower side that cause damage over the bulk of the whole animation time, think Freezing Touch mixed with Energy Transfer.  That could also differentiate it from any of those sets that have chainsaw customization, this one being a heavy DoT lethal set.

[EDIT]Now that I think about it, that was one of the reasons I liked Dark Melee's Shadow Maul so much.  It's also a heavy DoT over a longer animation...but they shortened the animation quite a bit and lowered the damage (to increase the cone) so it's more meh.  I don't think the whole set would be Shadow Maul length animations (especially if you have 2-3 longish animating attacks) but I'd definitely enjoy a longish shredding tier 9.

Edited by Naraka

19 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

Brandish:

Thats an ultra ultra ultra shitty sword if you could a. break it, and/or b. break it over your knee so casually. Clearly this was a tv show made by people with no experience in metal! Hahahah

12 hours ago, Hew said:

Thats an ultra ultra ultra shitty sword if you could a. break it, and/or b. break it over your knee so casually. Clearly this was a tv show made by people with no experience in metal! Hahahah

Going by Onepiece logic: the higher the rank, the more powerful you are.  The guy was obviously a beast who could crack a horse's spine with a swift knee.

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2021 at 2:27 PM, AspieAnarchy said:

If you saw the Whip set I just posted, you may have noticed I said it was available to every currently-extant Melee AT save one - why? Because there's nothing "Brutish" about Whips; they're a finesse weapon. So what do Brutes, and Brute alone, get instead? Let me tell you:

CHAINSAW (Melee)

Available to: Brutes

Set Color: Black-on-Dark Yellow

The Chainsaw is a slow and unwieldy weapon with a penalty to accuracy, but the damage it deals is second to none. It leaves hideous wounds that heal poorly (inflicting cumulative Gore counters that both retard regeneration and reduce received healing), and sometimes bleed for additional damage.

1) Thrust – a simple, relatively quick attack with your chainsaw that bestows 1 Gore counter.

Damage: Moderate Lethal Recharge: Fast

2) Carve – a slower and stronger attack than Thrust that leaves the target with a horrible wound and 1 Gore counter.

Damage: Superior Lethal Recharge: Moderate

3) Mangle – a gruesome attack that wreaks havoc on the victim's healing processes, bestowing 2 Gore counters and causing it to bleed for additional damage over time.

Damage: Superior Lethal Recharge: Slow

4) Build Up

5) Whirl – you spin your chainsaw around you, assaulting all nearby enemies and leaving them with nasty wounds and 1 Gore Counter each. Damage: High Lethal Recharge: Moderate

6) Taunt

7) Brandish – you rev your chainsaw loudly and wave it around menacingly, causing enemies around you to cower in fear. Recharge: Slow

😎 Butcher – a devastating attack so horrible to watch that other nearby enemies may momentarily enter a state of shock, snapping out of it sooner if they themselves are attacked. If the target survives, it is left with 2 Gore counters, as well as a gruesome wound that deals additional damage over time.

9) Massacre – You swing your chainsaw in an arc, attacking all enemies in front of you, and leaving them with 3 Gore counters each.

Example Character Concept: The Menacing Cutting Edge! (Villainous Chainsaw/Energy Aura Technology Brute)

I could have used this one too:

• Haha 1

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

14 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

I could have used this one too:

NOW you're getting the idea! 😄

On 7/27/2021 at 12:03 AM, Sancerre said:

sounds fun.

i am struggling to imagine a chainsaw-wielding-'hero'... that would 'arrest' villains, but that wouldnt stop me from making it.

Admittedly, I came up with this in the LIVE era, before it was at all possible for Brutes to be good guys.

Sometimes I wonder whether lifting as many of the old restrictions as they have hasn't actually restricted some potential future creativity. Deregulation is known to have consequences, after all....

Maybe they should institute some way to make case-by-case exceptions (picture the Freedom Phalanx or the Grandville 5 showing up to personally judge you, but it's really a couple of fully in-character DMs) - or perhaps (and this is the part of me speaking that made my father sound eerily like the Hogwarts Sorting Hat when he once told me I "might do well in Marketing") they could roll this and certain other powersets (like my Cult Summon set I also posted on here) out as a new wave of "SPECIAL NEW Alignment-EXCLUSIVE SWORN ETERNAL CHAMPIONS OF GOOD & EVIL Powersets!!!" - i.e. be any AT you like, certain powersets are ONLY available to certain Alignments, and choosing them is making a commitment.

Edited by AspieAnarchy
typo