Solo suggestions.

tekmansam

10 hours ago, Sir Myshkin said:

bzzt Nope! Any combination of sets in the game can be designed to work at ridiculous levels

I'm not sure if that's what's being asked.  Admittedly, it's a bit contradictory to say "top tier" and "viability" in the same sentence.  One means "the best of the best" and the other means "anything that's good enough to survive" essentially.

I can believe you can build anything to survive content in this game, but you're going to have a lot of variation in how safely and/or how quickly they can do it. Plainly, some ATs/combos will be better than others.  By a lot.  If that's what's really being asked, then people need to take the usual "anything works" response down a notch, because while anything works, not everything works as well.

52 minutes ago, ZemX said:

I can believe you can build anything to survive content in this game, but you're going to have a lot of variation in how safely and/or how quickly they can do it. Plainly, some ATs/combos will be better than others.  By a lot.  If that's what's really being asked, then people need to take the usual "anything works" response down a notch, because while anything works, not everything works as well.

I will push back a little bit on this.  The "anything works" tact is true for all ATs for probably 75-80% of the content in this game.  Determining if it "works as well" is really a preference.  What works well for you may not work well for me and vice versa.  There maybe a combo that your style of play doesn't fit so you see it as a "not working well" while someone else could make it "top tier".  Now if you want to further dive into the weeds you can argue that there are some combos that "work well" against fire damage and not so well against anything else.  But that has very little to do with the AT or the power set combos and has everything to do with the build.  And I will grant that there are power sets that make it easier to build to cover a wider variety of situations but again those that are difficult to do it with can get there too but require a different approach or maybe a sacrifice in another area to get there.

I suppose the point here is if you want to discuss what works well it requires diving much further into the under the hood mechanics than we've gone so far.  Happy to do it, but the OP seemed to want some gentle guidance rather than a completed Mids build.

7 hours ago, Icono04 said:

If you are playing on a subpar computer, keep in mind that playing at +4/*8 (or really, +anything/*8) will put a lot of enemies on your screen and a lot of visual effects from their powers, which your PC might struggle to handle. It is for this reason that I personally avoid soloing against large numbers of enemies on squishy characters, because if my screen freezes up for 4-5 seconds due to graphics overload, that can sometimes be enough for a blaster/controller/etc. to get slaughtered. Less of a problem on melee characters and/or when playing a squishy on a team.

I am segueing into playing on my laptop--but it has issues of its own lol.  Framerate is perfect, but its graphics look kinda yucky despite its good stats.  Gotta love macbooks, ne?

57 minutes ago, tekmansam said:

I am segueing into playing on my laptop--but it has issues of its own lol.  Framerate is perfect, but its graphics look kinda yucky despite its good stats.  Gotta love macbooks, ne?

I play on a Mac. I feel your pain. Good luck building your characters - I use an Excel spreadsheet on Google Drives since Mids was never quite made usable on Mac. Don’t link me that thread I’ve tried it half a dozen times 😉

Things did get better once I got the 2020 pro, though, as far as game performance goes. Running everything on Ultra now unless I’m double boxing.

Edited by arcane

13 minutes ago, arcane said:

I play on a Mac. I feel your pain. Good luck building your characters - I use an Excel spreadsheet on Google Drives since Mids was never quite made usable on Mac. Don’t link me that thread I’ve tried it half a dozen times 😉

Things did get better once I got the 2020 pro, though, as far as game performance goes. Running everything on Ultra now unless I’m double boxing.

I'm running a 2014 Pro and it has issues like Cel Shading not working, some building textures are transparent, and the audio garbles sometimes.  Its a bit of a mess.  Plus I am such a newb that i have no clue what Mids are so..yeah.

4 minutes ago, tekmansam said:

I'm running a 2014 Pro and it has issues like Cel Shading not working, some building textures are transparent, and the audio garbles sometimes.  Its a bit of a mess.  Plus I am such a newb that i have no clue what Mids are so..yeah.

Mid's Hero Designer is a tool used for planning out builds.

Mid's Reborn: Hero Designer - Forum - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

• Like 1