ID Window Suggestion

UltraAlt

Please expand the size of the character description window at the bottom of the ID page so that it fits all all text including a couple of carriage returns (5 or 6+, aka paragraphing)

There is a good amount of room above and below the windows on the left hand side.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Well, this just points up the overall problem of the game's text entry fields being somewhere between awful, awkward and 1988. It would be nice if there was some wholesale way to fix this issue, but I suspect it's bare-metal code in the engine. It was also designed for much, much smaller screens.

It might be possible to make the ID window etc. a little more screen-responsive to fit more text when it doesn't overwhelm the view. I'm not sure it's that hard to scroll up and down in a longer bio, etc., though...

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Yeah, I'd suspect the first step would be "fix whatever system from the pits of hell is used in text entry currently" with its behind-the-scenes almost-HTML, surprise vanishing (but still taking text, since it sticks it in when you click elsewhere!) cursors and the like.  Then work on tweaks like window size and scrolling - though those are also needed.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Dunno if it is related, but when I respec, the enhancement window is too small to show all the enhancements I have in there, and as far as I can tell there is no way to scroll down. It's not killer since thanks to seven tabs of enhancement capacity you can just start putting stuff there or in your slots to get stuff out of the way. There does seem to be weird window size issues though, both of these being examples of it. 

While I'm whining like a little baby, the keyboard hotkey situation is just bizarre too. 

2 hours ago, A Cat said:

While I'm whining like a little baby, the keyboard hotkey situation is just bizarre too. 

What "keyboard hotkey situation"?

The UI only has two or three hard-coded key/mouse assignments. All others can be remapped.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

12 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

What "keyboard hotkey situation"?

The UI only has two or three hard-coded key/mouse assignments. All others can be remapped.

I don't know if it is one I can change. But making "enter" accept more things would be nice. Enter is yes on some things but not on others. There's other stuff but I can't think of it right now. 

3 minutes ago, A Cat said:

I don't know if it is one I can change. But making "enter" accept more things would be nice. Enter is yes on some things but not on others. There's other stuff but I can't think of it right now. 

Enter and left-click are a muddy mix of hard-coded and remappable. In the main UI, you can remap Enter (the default bind is to start a chat; I use a refinement of that). But in any text-entry mode it's the ENTER button.

Note that keys ENTER and NUMPADENTER are separate, for bind purposes.

For text entry, Ctrl-Enter or Shift-Enter lets you put in line breaks/para spacing but I think the game helpfully eats those when it stores the strings.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2021 at 12:27 PM, Greycat said:

Yeah, I'd suspect the first step would be "fix whatever system from the pits of hell is used in text entry currently" with its behind-the-scenes almost-HTML, surprise vanishing (but still taking text, since it sticks it in when you click elsewhere!) cursors and the like.  Then work on tweaks like window size and scrolling - though those are also needed.

I've heard the CoH code is comparable to a Pool of Sewage with a bucket of Clean Water thrown in.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.