Disappeared Tequila.exe

Milk Sheik

Opened up my usual COH directory this morning only to find the usual Tequila file used to launch the game is missing, the one titled "Tequila" that has a little icon of a glass next to it. The other usual text files named Tequila are present. I did a "search this directory" and found nothing but the text files. It's not in the Recycle Bin, either. Trying to copy and paste the .exe file from my other computer is an exercise in futility at the moment. Besides the dire warnings saying "for god's sake, don't ever download an .exe file from the internet!" the thing disappears and tells me I lack permissions in many ways.

I do not recall deleting this file. As for what might have caused it, I recently downloaded the CoH Modder (but I wasn't able to get it to be compatible, so it's unlikely that it is doing anything) and downloaded the VidiotMaps pack for I27p3, but I have played a few times since then with no problem. Now... poof. No way to start the game that I know of. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I got around this and back into the game by installing the Homecoming Launcher and switching to it, but my Tequila remains unusable. Leaving this post up in case anyone has similar issues.

image.png.dcf72742f35407cd470825a7dc306130.png

Edited by Milk Sheik

Refight the Trojan War and stop Arachnos in the time-traveling "Dr. Aeon and the Wrath of Achilles," 5 missions full of heroic allies and smash/lethal EBs, AE#31899!

Torchbearer Greek & Roman theme SG and coalition -- "Polias" -- always looking for new members!

Yeah, that sounds like an AV scan went through and quarantined/deleted it. I've even had Windows Defender do this a long while ago, but normally just when trying to download something it didn't trust. You'll want to backup the user files for Tequila and reinstall if you plan to use it.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

3 hours ago, wjrasmussen said:

I have heard about tequila disappearing.  Its called a bender and you get a really bad hangover from it.

IDK, even with a Four Horseman, I can't say I ever dealt with the latter. 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• City Council

Antivirus software these days tends to quarantine/remove software that is not digitally signed (a way of tracking down who released it in case it's bad). Tequila wasn't signed and hasn't been updated in years, so triggering false positives is not surprising, especially if its used with manifests from multiple servers; that looks very sketchy to antiviruses.

HC Launcher is signed to the Homecoming Servers LLC and only downloads and runs updates that have also been signed to verify they come from HC, so it is highly unlikely to run into the same problem; antivirus software sees the signature as the LLC saying "we vouch that this software is clean and we are responsible for anything it does".

• Like 1