Thoughts on the Sentinel (feedback/theorycrafting ahoy)

Nerva

All classes can solo even controllers. Fire/kin controller used to be great soloers/farmers. But they are not made for solo play really.

Scrappers are dps in teams but are still great soloers.

I am kinda with @Tyrannical . I think classes should be built for teams and if they are great soloers then that is just a bonus. Dps classes quite often make the best soloers.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Ability to start TF/SF solo? Check.

Archetypes designed specifically for the ability to dish out damage while surviving incoming damage with no external assistance? Check.

No archetype was ever designed with solo play in mind, because soloing wasn't viable until the invention system was introduced.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

But by the argument that an MMO is only for teaming and no consideration should be given to soloing, then the developers never imagined anything would solo.

And yet, as you say, everything can solo.

So which is it?

I just think some classes are naturally better at it. The classes with armour sets or strong CC usually. Soloing is killing and not being killed.

Primarily classes were built for teams and some were given extra help for those times when they could not get a team or just wanted a slower pace on their own, at the request of the players. Defenders/controllers etc got damage buffs. But if they were to be built with soloing a big consideration i think they would have been built quite different.

An empath defender can solo though, just not as well as others. Are classes all to be equal in soloing?

Edited by Gobbledegook
  • Like 1

• Game Master

This thread is going wildly off-topic towards confrontational, and needs to resume to actual discussion rather than antagonising.

That said, "How do we fix sentinels?" Gets discussed a lot, I'm personally on my 11th Ice Armour Sentinel and having a blast. I really want to see Sentinels not be so far at the bottom of the pack.

Further off-topic replies or replies against the code of conduct will be removed.

• Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

No archetype was ever designed with solo play in mind, because soloing wasn't viable until the invention system was introduced.

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Scrappers existed before IOs, I mean I'm not *that* old yet. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

Did nobody see my "add taunt to the blasts" thing? I feel like I was really on to something there. 

• Thumbs Down 1

Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter

1 minute ago, Aurora_Girl said:

Did nobody see my "add taunt to the blasts" thing? I feel like I was really on to something there. 

I saw it. It would be certainly helpful to a team when teaming. Edit: And maybe for fleeing AVs. I still don't grok what's making them rabbit so hard these days.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

1 minute ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I saw it. It would be certainly helpful to a team when teaming. Edit: And maybe for fleeing AVs. I still don't grok what's making them rabbit so hard these days.

Exactly! Provides utility to sents when teaming they don't currently have, and can only improve the soloing adventure. 

10 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Are all classes to be equal in teaming?

Most are in their given roles. A corruptor gains more damage in exchange for some support etc. Sometimes some classes/skills are underpowered or overpowered and they get tweaked at some point.

I feel the sentinel is not equal in a team though. They are slightly under par which should be addressed. They can solo though.