playerslot.txt 0 bytes

Luminara

Started happening when I logged in this morning.  Last night or the night before last (old, brain no worky), I made a Soldier of Arachnos, my 31st character, leveled it up a bit and went to bed.  This morning, I logged in and discovered that all of my characters were out of order.  I sorted them, logged into my SoA and played some more, then exited the game.  I logged in again around 9 p.m. Eastern and found my characters unsorted again.  I checked playerslot.txt and found it empty.  I've never modified it directly, it's not set to Read Only, it was just empty.

I exited the game, deleted the file and logged in again... and the file was recreated empty.  No text.  No server listing.  No character names.  No sort numbering, it's a completely blank file.

Tried backing out to the server selection screen and going forward again, and all of my characters are unsorted.

Deleting the file while logged in and moving characters to force the file to recreate results in an empty file, too.

Double tee eff.

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Made character number 32, deleted playerslot.txt, moved characters around to recreate the file... 0 bytes.

Verified installation.

Logged onto every server.

Moved characters around again.

Everything I do results in an empty file.  0 bytes.

Edited by Luminara

or maybe u dont have write enabled.. window's file rights can sometimes be clumsy.. allowing to create something but not changing it anymore after creating.

Is your COH Located on OS Partition?  Maybe a Windows Patch happenend....

Try Resetting the rights to Folder and Files coh is installed too and make sure the account you are using is set to modify or full rights. And not a basic thing like evryone is denied to do it.... deny rights are treated higher value then allow rights for that matter.

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

6 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Is CoH actually writing to a diff dir than you would have it?

E:\Games\Homecoming\accounts\<redacted>

E is an external 1TB SSD connected via USB C.  I installed the game to that drive when I switched to the HC launcher earlier this year, and I haven't moved or altered the installation in the interim.

And... it's showing 0 bytes free.  I haven't used 50GB, why is it reading full?

OH GOD I HATE WINDOWS 10!

Okay, now that I've humiliated myself by failing to perform the most basic trouble-shooting step (unplug it and plug it back in), it appears that the problem was the OS.  894GB free on the external SSD now.  Logged in, moved one character, playerslot.txt is now showing a file size of 1KB.  Sorting all of my characters and opening the file (now reading 2KB), I see the appropriate lines of text.

The more I use Windows 10, the more I want to solve problems with a splitting maul.

2 hours ago, Pengy said:

My favorite thing about Windows 10 is how I can no longer stop OS notifications from popping up right where I like to keep my trays simply by moving my taskbar. Worked fine in all previous Windows versions I played on.

I have no notifications in the game screen. Never had, as far back as I can think.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

6 hours ago, Luminara said:

The more I use Windows 10, the more I want to solve problems with a splitting maul.

Applications run from external drives have been problematic since there were external drives and on every OS I know of. The extra layers and longer routing of connectivity are going to trip some apps, some of the time, pretty much no matter what.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com