The Sniper : a new power based on Beamrifle.

Necate

Hello everyone.

What would you think about an alternative theme to the Beamrifle: the sniper?

I love the Beamrifle but chose it because it comes closest to a sniper. Nevertheless it remains too flashy and "pew pew pew" for me. I would have preferred a more classic rifle.

So I thought of a new power that would have exactly the same characteristics as the beamrifle. Nothing would change except the skins and sounds of powers. Damage would be energy based as well as the sniper would use high Cinetic energy projectiles. The damage would therefore be related to Cinetic energy.

It would really be an aesthetic alternative. I started thinking about power and their equivalence. Here are some ideas for the most complicated powers to convert:

- Cutting Beam would become a fragmentation projectile: the sniper fires a projectile which fragments on its trajectory and injures the enemies in a cone. (Animation : Sniper AR / Sound : shotgun).

- Desintegrate would become Red Dot: the sniper designates a target using a laser sight. This reveals its weak points. (Animation : Sniper AR / Sound ; Targeting Drone from Device or something like this).

- Lancer Shot would become Auto-Aim: After shooting a target marked with Red Dot, the sniper scope memorizes the opponent's weaknesses. She manages to reveal these weaknesses on nearby opponents.

- Overcharge would become Powder Overload: the sniper uses projectiles whose primer he has overloaded so that they are devastating.

I think for the rest of the powers, the conversation will be very simple. (Same animation and sound than sniper AR)

I think it would be an easy addition to implement because all the calculations are already done and the animations already exist in the game.

Thanks for reading me. We cant kept the same animation than Sniper from AR set and just change the sound.

Edited by Necate

a) that's some serious horizontal scrollbar on your post.

• It may be worth looking at your browser, or whatever method you're using to post, that's causing that.  The less effort it takes people to read your post, the more likely people are to read it, and consider your ideas.

b) to the content. 

• Assault Rifle literally has a move called "Sniper Shot", so personally, I kind of put that as "closest to a sniper". 
  • also, if beam rifle is too "pew pew pew" for you, again, there's good ol' Assault Rifle, right there. It's a fully functional set. 
  • Still. I'm not opposed to alternate animations that do not adjust the performance of powers.

Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1

The OG Devs were talking about making a Sniper powerset that never happened due to the sunset. Not sure what it would have looked like TBH, AFAIK nothing specific was said, though it would be a good opportunity for narrow cones like Piercing Beam. Maybe I have been watching too much Starcraft II, but it would be cool for the T9 to be target marking for an artillery strike or something. I'm up for some more gun powersets in general. I have said before, but I would like to climb into a time machine and make the AR powerset split into possibly three powersets: Rifle, Shotgun, and Heavy Weapons, just like how we have War Mace, Axe, Broadsword, Katana etc. as separate melee weapon powersets. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MTeague said:

a) that's some serious horizontal scrollbar on your post.

• It may be worth looking at your browser, or whatever method you're using to post, that's causing that.  The less effort it takes people to read your post, the more likely people are to read it, and consider your ideas.

b) to the content. 

• Assault Rifle literally has a move called "Sniper Shot", so personally, I kind of put that as "closest to a sniper". 
  • also, if beam rifle is too "pew pew pew" for you, again, there's good ol' Assault Rifle, right there. It's a fully functional set. 
  • Still. I'm not opposed to alternate animations that do not adjust the performance of powers.

Hello, 

a) Thanks for you answer. I edit my topic because i didn' see the worth looking on my phone browser.

b)

• For me, assault rifle is not the closest to a sniper. Flametrhower, Grenade Launcher, Shotgun.....are not power for a sniper gameplay. Even the animation (weapon on the hips when you shoot) are not in this theme.
  • I agree, Assault Rifle is fun but not in a "one shot, one kill" logic. BeamRifle is more single target focus.
  • Indeed. NOT a new power. It's just an alternative skin. It requires  less effort for the HOMECOMING TEAM (again, THX FOR YOUR WORK <3).

6 hours ago, A Cat said:

The OG Devs were talking about making a Sniper powerset that never happened due to the sunset. Not sure what it would have looked like TBH, AFAIK nothing specific was said, though it would be a good opportunity for narrow cones like Piercing Beam. Maybe I have been watching too much Starcraft II, but it would be cool for the T9 to be target marking for an artillery strike or something. I'm up for some more gun powersets in general. I have said before, but I would like to climb into a time machine and make the AR powerset split into possibly three powersets: Rifle, Shotgun, and Heavy Weapons, just like how we have War Mace, Axe, Broadsword, Katana etc. as separate melee weapon powersets. 

Hello, thx for your answer.

Great idea but it requires lot of work for HOMECOMING TEAM. A simple reskin like my proposal is more accessible.

Edited by Necate
  • Like 1

You're keeping Beam Rifle energy.  Check. You want it re-skinned so it doesn't take the devs much time or hopefully work. Check. You want replacement powers. Huh? If the point is to utilize the existing set so the devs don't have to work on a new power set, why the new powers? Red dot and auto-aim powers don't exist as far as I can find in City of Data. So you're still asking the devs to make a new power set. And if the damage is going to stay energy, why do you want bullet animations? If you don't like the sounds, ask for a re-skin with different, probably more subdued, sounds. Or yeah, play assault rifle. It may not seem like a sniper set to you, and a lot of the powers are not bullet-type... but it is the closest power set to a sniper the game has as you are describing. The sniper rifle is an aimed down the sights attack. The rest? Is the sniper falling back on faster firing weapons to clear out the enemies pressing him. Just a thought.

(Or just ask for a new sniper-based power set.)

Edited by Rudra
Edited to add last line.
  • Like 1

Recommendation: Ask for a re-skin of Assault Rifle with shoulder-fired animations. Even back on live players were complaining about all the animations other than Sniper Rifle being hip-fired. The devs can probably just copy Sniper Rifle's animation across the board or mirror Beam Rifle's animations except that the M30 Grenade would now use a grenade toss animation like Webnade and the 2 incendiary attacks can keep their current animations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Necate said:

Guys, i don't want replace Beamrifle. I just propose an alternative skin.

23 hours ago, Necate said:

Hello everyone.

What would you think about an alternative theme to the Beamrifle: the sniper?

I love the Beamrifle but chose it because it comes closest to a sniper. Nevertheless it remains too flashy and "pew pew pew" for me. I would have preferred a more classic rifle.

So I thought of a new power that would have exactly the same characteristics as the beamrifle. Nothing would change except the skins and sounds of powers. Damage would be energy based as well as the sniper would use high Cinetic energy projectiles. The damage would therefore be related to Cinetic energy.

It would really be an aesthetic alternative. I started thinking about power and their equivalence. Here are some ideas for the most complicated powers to convert:

- Cutting Beam would become a fragmentation projectile: the sniper fires a projectile which fragments on its trajectory and injures the enemies in a cone. (Animation : Sniper AR / Sound : shotgun).

- Desintegrate would become Red Dot: the sniper designates a target using a laser sight. This reveals its weak points. (Animation : Sniper AR / Sound ; Targeting Drone from Device or something like this).

- Lancer Shot would become Auto-Aim: After shooting a target marked with Red Dot, the sniper scope memorizes the opponent's weaknesses. She manages to reveal these weaknesses on nearby opponents.

- Overcharge would become Powder Overload: the sniper uses projectiles whose primer he has overloaded so that they are devastating.

I think for the rest of the powers, the conversation will be very simple. (Same animation and sound than sniper AR)

I think it would be an easy addition to implement because all the calculations are already done and the animations already exist in the game.

Thanks for reading me. We cant kept the same animation than Sniper from AR set and just change the sound.

Except you aren't. Your Red Dot and Auto-Aim powers are brand new powers in the set. That makes your request a new set.

You don't understand.

I juste want replace the description and the animation in this alternative skin. The damage, effect and calcul stay the same.

Red Dot and Auto-Aim are just more thematics new names with snipe animation. 

Disintegrate does energy damage over time and reduces the target's regeneration. Red Dot as read reduces the target's damage resist or defense.

Lancer Shot does energy damage on hit and can stun the target. If the target is affected by Disintegrate, then the Disintegrate effect can be propagated to up to 3 other targets. Auto-Aim as read requires an active Red Dot on target, and propagates the damage resist or defense reduction, whichever Red Dot inflicts, on additional targets.

Those are not the same effects.

I think hes trying to say that those 'new' powers arent actually new as far as the mechanics of beam rifle.  They are the alternate animation way of achieving the same effects.  The sniper has you targeted for bonus damage with the lazer dot instead of disintegrate.  At least that seems to be what hes trying to accomplish.  

• Like 1

Except he is saying they "reveal weakpoints". That isn't -regen. And he wants them to be bullets inflicting kinetic energy damage. At least, I'm hoping cinetic is kinetic. That would be smash/lethal damage on a set that does energy damage. If the intent is just a re-skin, there are an awful lot of changes going on. Just give Assault Rifle optional alternate animations as I described earlier in the thread and it goes to being a "one shot, one kill" feel animation like he wants. There are 3 powers in Assault Rifle that fall out of being a sniper the way he describes it. One is a grenade that can be given the alternate animation of being a thrown grenade, preserving the set as a "sniper" feel with shoulder fired animations, and the other two are incendiaries. One of which is easily skipped in the set for its lower damage.

I get he does not want to use Assault Rifle for his sniper, but his main complaint is how it feels. Putting in shoulder-fired animations as alternates would alleviate that without requiring so many changes to beam rifle to still accomplish what he wants. Or he can request a dedicated sniper power set. With existing animations and mechanics, all that really needs to be done is to define what powers are available at what level.

Reading his posts, he wants more than just a re-skin of an existing power set.