Spoof Movies

50 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Weirdly, Condorman is not on Disney+. I'm not sure whether they're just embarrassed about it or there's some kind of terrible thing I've forgotten in the movie. 

It looks like you can rent it on Amazon Prime. I think Disney just may want to forget it exists after its Box Office losses.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Considering some of the other stuff that made it to D+ (The Black Cauldron for one), still seems like an odd omission.

I blame Gurgi.

• Haha 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

17 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Picking up on the spy and cape themes - one quite terrible movie I've loved unironically since I was a kid.

Condorman was the first (maybe last) venture of comedian Michael Crawford into Whollyodd, famous for playing an accident-prone milquetoast on British TV (and later for nailing the original West End Phantom of the Opera - hell of a casting choice but one that paid off.)

It's a straight rip of From Russia With Love for kids - a gorgeous Russian defector wants to make it to the West, but believes only one person can assure her safety. 

Unfortunately he's a cartoon, so the CIA recruit his creator as the only person who could act and think like him.

It's not great. I could go on about the dialogue, acting, etc.

But I'm going to shut up and show you one of the single greatest car chases in cinema history.

(With that glorious Henry Mancini music. If I ever have to make a public appearance as a hero, I'm nicking it.)

That moment one realizes that Condorman is a Disney property and could therefore show up in the Marvel Multiverse.  😁

That movie showed up the first year or two after the Disney Channel premiered on cable TV.  I watched it every chance I got.  The movie came out in 1981 and camp comedy was still a big thing.  I was always amazed that Michael Crawford (who was known more for Hello, Dolly back then) was the star and that Oliver Reed, a man who looked more comfortable in Shakespearean-caliber roles, was the big bad. 

I'd be up for a reboot, if they tightened it up.  With modern Disney imagineering, backed by their sibling Marvel, it could be a lot of fun.  I wonder what 30-something actor would make good casting in the role, though?  Rupert Grint, perhaps?

On 3/10/2022 at 3:52 AM, Techwright said:

That moment one realizes that Condorman is a Disney property and could therefore show up in the Marvel Multiverse.

If anyone working in post-prod on Multiverse of Madness (or at D+) is reading this,

DO IT,YOU COWARDS.

...ahem. Out of the Potter cast, Grint and Radcliffe are certainly names, but Matt Lewis (Neville!) has yer actual square-jawed hero looks and an ability for total gawkiness.

• Haha 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 2 weeks later
On 3/11/2022 at 5:26 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

but Matt Lewis (Neville!) has yer actual square-jawed hero looks and an ability for total gawkiness.

Well that just floored me.  "Square-jawed" is not what I think of when I consider Matt Lewis.  "Chubby cheeked" came to mind.  Fast forward to 32, and my not-so-square jaw hitting the floor.  There's a couple pics out there on Google search that make me think he certainly looks the part for the next James Bond.

8 hours ago, Techwright said:

There's a couple pics out there on Google search

I believe there are indeed pictures on Google. I'd prefer not to verify that as I have to work today.

However, I believe the phrase the kids use these days is glow-up. Because holy freaking shirtlessballs...

...ahem. I'm aware Matt Damon pulls off the boy-next-door/ultrabadass turn in Bourne and Keanu managed it in Speed and The Matrix, but Matt pulling Bond off seems a stretch.
That said, Captain Britain?

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

• 4 months later
On 3/3/2022 at 5:40 AM, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

I have opinions on spoof movies.

Some of them I like - most of Jerry Zucker's stuff (Airplane!, Police Squad, quite a few others), some of Mel Brooks' (Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles), some cult oddments like Meteor Man and Mystery Men...

But is Mystery Men a "spoof movie" if it is true to the original content?

It doesn't entirely line up with what went on in Flaming Carrot, but most of those characters are in Flaming Carrot and many have the same powers.

The movie storyline doesn't appear in the pages of the comic, but it's pretty true to the atmosphere and feeling of the comic book.

Flaming Carrot is a spoof of the comics genre, but it is in comic book form. (Though I do wish that a Flaming Carrot movie was made!) It is in the pages of Flaming Carrot that the Mystery Men first appear.

But maybe the origin of the Flaming Carrot will tell us more ....

1147909133_FlamingCarrotorigin.thumb.jpeg.d7b88f0752dee8c087177c0e74678106.jpeg

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.