AV/GM Killer - Can solo hard content and team?

Arcadian-Prime

Hey all,

Finally got setting this game up, so happy to see it up and running. I played on Live since issue 1, so the nostalgia hits me hard.

A little background on my current status: I’m a father of 4, age 6 and under. So pretty busy! Gaming time can be limited, so I’ll probably only have the time to commit to ONE hero, at least at the start.

With that being said… I’d love to challenge myself with tough content. +4 AV’s, GM’s, solo TF’s, the works.  I’m very open on archetype as well. Be a tanker and tank the Universe? Works for me. Should I scrapper lock? Let’s go. Corruptors/defenders seem pretty appealing since they have a lot of tools.

All that being said: what do you recommend for an archetype and powerset combo they will let me go God Mode? I’d like to throw everything I have into this toon! 

Appreciate it all.

Ice Blast/Radiation Emission Corruptor would be pretty great for that.  You'd hit like a truck and have a ton of debuffs, and some self-buffs and a minor heal for yourself.  Plus Scourge.  Scourge is love.

Ice Blast/Trick Arrow Corruptor would be pretty great for that as well.  Trick Arrow is pretty much the best debuff set in the game, (fight me, Cold lovers :classic_tongue: ).  Plus, again, Scourge.

If you don't want Ice Blast, try Fire Blast or Beam Rifle.  Both would be great with Radiation Emission and Trick Arrow as well.

There's also Demons/Dark Miasma Mastermind and Demons/Thermal Mastermind.  Thugs/Dark Miasma Mastermind would work as well.

FWIW, I've been soloing GMs lately on a Thugs/Time Manipulation Mastermind.  It doesn't pack as much debuff oomph as Dark Miasma or Thermal, but it gets the job done.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Ice Blast/Radiation Emission Corruptor would be pretty great for that.  You'd hit like a truck and have a ton of debuffs, and some self-buffs and a minor heal for yourself.  Plus Scourge.  Scourge is love.

Ice Blast/Trick Arrow Corruptor would be pretty great for that as well.  Trick Arrow is pretty much the best debuff set in the game, (fight me, Cold lovers :classic_tongue: ).  Plus, again, Scourge.

If you don't want Ice Blast, try Fire Blast or Beam Rifle.  Both would be great with Radiation Emission and Trick Arrow as well.

There's also Demons/Dark Miasma Mastermind and Demons/Thermal Mastermind.  Thugs/Dark Miasma Mastermind would work as well.

FWIW, I've been soloing GMs lately on a Thugs/Time Manipulation Mastermind.  It doesn't pack as much debuff oomph as Dark Miasma or Thermal, but it gets the job done.

Thanks for this. Corruptors do seem pretty appealing. I was looking at /Dark, /Cold and /Thermal.  Rad I remember being strong from Live. Ice could be a front runner. Less resisted damage type I assume?

Also, there is a heal in /Rad?

You mentioned soloing in your original post, so I would not suggest Cold nor Thermal.  They are both great support sets, but neither are really solo friendly.  I would go with Dark, Rad, or Trick Arrow instead.  Preferably Rad or Trick Arrow.

Yes, Rad has a small heal.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Apparition said:

You mentioned soloing in your original post, so I would not suggest Cold nor Thermal.  They are both great support sets, but neither are really solo friendly.  I would go with Dark, Rad, or Trick Arrow instead.  Preferably Rad or Trick Arrow.

Yes, Rad has a small heal.

Nice. Dark and Rad both seem nice to me. I know you said Ice would pair well with Rad. Any other primaries you’d suggest pairing with either of those? Water Blast seems interesting to me, probably because I think I stopped playing before it was added. 

8 minutes ago, ArcadianIV said:

Nice. Dark and Rad both seem nice to me. I know you said Ice would pair well with Rad. Any other primaries you’d suggest pairing with either of those? Water Blast seems interesting to me, probably because I think I stopped playing before it was added. 

Like I mentioned above, Fire Blast and Beam Rifle would both be good.

Water Blast is great, but it’s primarily AoE.  Great for taking out minions and lieutenants, not so great for AVs and GMs.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Like I mentioned above, Fire Blast and Beam Rifle would both be good.

Water Blast is great, but it’s primarily AoE.  Great for taking out minions and lieutenants, not so great for AVs and GMs.

Sorry I missed that! Thanks for all the Corruptor input.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Probably a good idea to make a farmer on a 2nd account to grind your influence to spend as a tricking out a corruptor to solo GM/AV content.

Ice/dark is amazing. So is Ice/storm, ice/trick arrow, and ice/cold (but that's more for teaming). 

Nice! I guess it seems like Corruptors are the way to go when it comes to soloing tough content or AV/GM’s. Ice/Dark seems like it could be pretty spicy.  Any other archetypes/powersets you’d recommend as well?

1 hour ago, ArcadianIV said:

Nice! I guess it seems like Corruptors are the way to go when it comes to soloing tough content or AV/GM’s. Ice/Dark seems like it could be pretty spicy.  Any other archetypes/powersets you’d recommend as well?

Illusion/rad is the classic I'm going to go solo lusca so hold my beer toon.

Debuffs are King for hard targets like monsters and AV's.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Illusion/rad is the classic I'm going to go solo lusca so hold my beer toon.

Debuffs are King for hard targets like monsters and AV's.

I remember Ill/Rad being the classic on live! /Dark and /Cold seem like they could pair decently as well. Never played a controller, how is their playstyle compared to a Corruptor? More drop your pets and than start debuffing?

/Rad and /Dark Controllers, especially /Darkness affinity Controllers They are not the fastest, but they deliver and provide safety. Some of them can solo Jack of Iron and Eochai at the same time. For the Primaries, Illusion, Darkness or Earth Control will work (because of their pets).

/Rad is faster for controller, but less safe.

I totally agree that debuffs are King against monters and AV. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, LynxNordique said:

/Rad and /Dark Controllers, especially /Darkness affinity Controllers They are not the fastest, but they deliver and provide safety. Some of them can solo Jack of Iron and Eochai at the same time. For the Primaries, Illusion, Darkness or Earth Control will work (because of their pets).

/Rad is faster for controller, but less safe.

I totally agree that debuffs are King against monters and AV. 

/Dark Affinity seems like a real cool set. What would you rank as best primary for it between Illusion, Dark and Earth?

In my opiniion, I like all of them and I cannot say one is better than the other. Earth does less damage but is offers better raw controls, very easy to setup. Illusion is probably the king, since it can be paired with almost every secondary and still be a GM and AV killer, the moment Phantom Army can be made perma. Darkness control is somewhere between Illusion and Earth with good controls and good damages if the Haunts are perma. But it works probaly best with a secondary that can help stacks some additional -tohit. 

Edited by LynxNordique
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

I've soloed damn near every GM on my Ill/Traps, high rech is the key. Perma PA, multiple mortars, etc. Killed Eochai and Jack at the same time.

There are quite a few combinations that can do it.

That is cool to hear. Would you say controllers are the premiere archetype for this kind of thing (soloing GM’s, TF’s, etc)?

4 minutes ago, LynxNordique said:

In my opiniion, I like all of them and I cannot say one is better than the other. Earth does less damage but is offers better raw controls, very easy to setup. Illusion is probably the king, since it can be paired with almost every secondary and still be a GM and AV killer, the moment Phantom Army can be made perma. Darkness control in somewhere between Illusion and Earth with good controls and good damages if the Haunts are perma. But it works probaly best with a secondary that can help stacks some additional -tohit. 

The stacking of -tohit seems like it would almost make a Dark/Dark controller untouchable. I guess Phantom Army really makes Illusion king though, as you said.

2 hours ago, ArcadianIV said:

Any other archetypes/powersets you’d recommend as well?

As others have said, with Giant Monsters on the table for soloing, you'll need debuffs. Basically a GM has a little more than double the HP of an average AV so their Regen can be very difficult (probably impossible) to beat without debuffs.  -Res, -Regen, and -HP are your allies here.

Tons of great suggestions thus far.

For soloing Task/Strike forces and AV class targets you're basically spoiled for choice.  Most melee, perma-doms, masterminds, some blasters, etc.  Setting to +4 narrows the field slightly, but not really all that much. All of the previous suggestions made up-thread will also excel in these encounters.

If anyone's got a melee toon that eats Giant Monsters on the regular, I'd love to see it though.  There's got to be an outlier out there someplace! 😉

Edited by InvaderStych
a little clarity
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

4 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

As others have said, with Giant Monsters on the table for soloing, you'll need debuffs. Basically a GM has a little more than double the HP of an average AV so their Regen can be very difficult (probably impossible) to beat without debuffs.  -Res, -Regen, and -HP are your allies here.

Tons of great suggestions thus far.

For soloing Task/Strike forces and AV class targets you're basically spoiled for choice.  Most melee, perma-doms, masterminds, some blasters, etc.  Setting to +4 narrows the field slightly, but not really all that much. All of the previous suggestions made up-thread will also excel in these encounters.

If anyone's got a melee toon that eats Giant Monsters on the regular, I'd love to see it though.  There's got to be an outlier out there someplace! 😉

Nice! So Corruptors, Defenders and Controllers are probably where I’m looking. On the Controller end, I’m thinking Illusion Dark. For Corruptors/Defenders, do you have any suggestions on pairings? I keep coming back to /Dark, /Cold and /Rad. Those seem to be the 3 that offer both -regen and -resist. Not sure about -HP.

6 minutes ago, ArcadianIV said:

Nice! So Corruptors, Defenders and Controllers are probably where I’m looking. On the Controller end, I’m thinking Illusion Dark. For Corruptors/Defenders, do you have any suggestions on pairings? I keep coming back to /Dark, /Cold and /Rad. Those seem to be the 3 that offer both -regen and -resist. Not sure about -HP.

I have an Illusion/Dark Affinity Controller.  It's a monster.  I know I've mentioned it in thread before, but Trick Arrow also has a massive amount of -regen and -resist as well.

4 minutes ago, Apparition said:

I have an Illusion/Dark Affinity Controller.  It's a monster.  I know I've mentioned it in thread before, but Trick Arrow also has a massive amount of -regen and -resist as well.

I keep overlooking TA, thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah, it keeps seeming like Ill/Dark is a true God Mode Do It All combo.

25 minutes ago, ArcadianIV said:

That is cool to hear. Would you say controllers are the premiere archetype for this kind of thing (soloing GM’s, TF’s, etc)?

It depends, I've soloed Scrapyard on my Rad/Ice tank before, I've seen a Mind/Psi Dom defeat the Freedom Phalanx, and Elec/Cold troller solo damn near every GM/AV.

It just depends on the build and AT, although I've never seen a brute or Sent do anything solo, but, that's just my experience. 

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.twitch.tv/boomie373

The Revenants twitch channel, come watch us face plant, talk smack, and attempt to be world class villains.

2 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

It depends, I've soloed Scrapyard on my Rad/Ice tank before, I've seen a Mind/Psi Dom defeat the Freedom Phalanx, and Elec/Cold troller solo damn near every GM/AV.

It just depends on the build and AT, although I've never seen a brute or Sent do anything solo, but, that's just my experience. 

Elec/Cold sounds like a cool concept! Was just digging through the forums and see you have a lot of experience War! Any suggestions for pairings with a Corruptor or Defender that could do TF’s or fight AV’s?

9 minutes ago, The_Warpact said:

I soloed GMs on my Rad/Rad Brute, (before I deleted it as I decided that I didn't like Radiation Melee nor Radiation Armor).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Apparition said:

I soloed GMs on my Rad/Rad Brute, (before I deleted it as I decided that I didn't like Radiation Melee nor Radiation Armor).

Taking a look at the melee archetypes, it seems like Rad Armor or Bio Armor would be the ones you’d try to solo tough targets with since they have the -regen component