Defenses/Resists

purplejezusjuice

Hey All,

Have a question about defense and resistances.  This question is geared towards PvE, farming +4/8's mainly at the time.  Do I no matter what want to be soft capping defenses at 45%?  Or if I can cap resistances I don't need the 45%?

Or do you know of any numbers I should really be trying for that aren't mentioned above?

Thanks in advance.

With the Sentinel reduced HP pool I don't see how you can avoid getting that RES in there. We just don't have enough HP to absorb a sudden shock from a big hit getting through.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

Not all builds need to be at 45% (and depending on the secondary, it may not even be feasible to get there), but even capped resists (75% mitigation) are way worse than 45% defense and no resists (90% mitigation). Resist sets can still aim for a decent level of defense - 32.5% is a common target, so that one small purple puts you at the cap. When farming, you should be getting enough insps to have one purple up basically all the time.

32.5% is a common target, so that one small purple puts you at the cap. When farming, you should be getting enough insps to have one purple up basically all the time.

You did it. This is exactly the missing piece of the puzzle. :P Thank you so much!

Well, i would stack in some resists as well but definitely what others have posted.... although im not sure if +4/8 is feasible.  As My esteemed SG mate has indicated, the HP pool might be too low to absorb the alpha....

+1 Hopeling. I've had great mileage out of aiming for ~20% def to all, even. Trivial on any build, makes no sacrifices, 2 purples away from the softcap. All it takes is to never stop killing so the insps keep raining. ;)

More never hurts, but the imperfect answer is to get to 50, get into those +4/x8s, and see what hurts you.

You also mention farming, not just 'I run every mission at +4/x8', and those are VERY different environments.  If your farming, you can choose maps (Ninjas are easy to get through Oroborous, and of course theres always AE to make CERTAIN what you fight cant fight back meaningfully) and tune the mobs to fit your defenses.  For farming, Id imagine 32.5%, or even 20% with some resistances, would get you there.

If by +4/x8 you instead mean 'lets take every mission that comes in every story arc or while soloing Task Forces' - Youll probably want to build just as bloody hard as you can.  Incarnate-Content baddies have more accuracy, and hand out FML level debuffing like its candy, and do wierd damage types...

The gulf between Fire Farm/Ninjas/Puppies/Hydra and the likes of Talons of Vengance or Carnies or Incarnate Pantheon is a massive one.  Its easier to fight +4 Puppies/Ninja than -1 Talons/Carnies/Pantheon.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

Well, i would stack in some resists as well but definitely what others have posted.... although im not sure if +4/8 is feasible.  As My esteemed SG mate has indicated, the HP pool might be too low to absorb the alpha....

I mean +4/8 is definitely feasible as I have a build I am running now that I can clear BM farm with AV ( AV takes me a while of course ) but I am trying to optimize a new build and that is why I was asking.

Thanks all for your input this has been very helpful.  Also, anyone else with input would still love to hear it to keep optimizing new sets.

More never hurts, but the imperfect answer is to get to 50, get into those +4/x8s, and see what hurts you.

You also mention farming, not just 'I run every mission at +4/x8', and those are VERY different environments.  If your farming, you can choose maps (Ninjas are easy to get through Oroborous, and of course theres always AE to make CERTAIN what you fight cant fight back meaningfully) and tune the mobs to fit your defenses.  For farming, Id imagine 32.5%, or even 20% with some resistances, would get you there.

If by +4/x8 you instead mean 'lets take every mission that comes in every story arc or while soloing Task Forces' - Youll probably want to build just as bloody hard as you can.  Incarnate-Content baddies have more accuracy, and hand out FML level debuffing like its candy, and do wierd damage types...

The gulf between Fire Farm/Ninjas/Puppies/Hydra and the likes of Talons of Vengance or Carnies or Incarnate Pantheon is a massive one.  Its easier to fight +4 Puppies/Ninja than -1 Talons/Carnies/Pantheon.

Correct, I guess I should have been more clear.  For now, really only focusing on the typical farms from Unai,Maria, etc.  Thanks!

Not all builds need to be at 45% (and depending on the secondary, it may not even be feasible to get there), but even capped resists (75% mitigation) are way worse than 45% defense and no resists (90% mitigation). Resist sets can still aim for a decent level of defense - 32.5% is a common target, so that one small purple puts you at the cap. When farming, you should be getting enough insps to have one purple up basically all the time.

I am currently leveling a Bio Armor and in my build plan Smashing lethal defense is at 22.5 and Melee is also at 22.5, I am worried Energy Beam/Bio Armor Sentinel might not be what I am looking for in the end...

What Sentinel primary/secondary combos are the hardiest with reasonable investments into Enhancements?

Just curious what do you run as a Sentinel?