Wondering about Sentinels

Project

On 4/12/2022 at 7:54 AM, arcane said:

The point of a Sentinel is to fulfill the wet dream of a Tankmage in a balanced way that any sane dev team would allow. And the only way to possibly balance a Tankmage is to water everything down.

Whether they do less damage than Corruptors is up for debate. Why they would ever do as much damage as Blasters ofc is a question with an obvious answer. 

Find it pretty amusing the OP mentioned the lack of support but not the presence of personal armor. Some people do such a hilarious job of blatantly ignoring all the obvious mechanisms of balance. You read the OP and you’d think they didn’t even come with secondaries.

Whats comical is using the word balance when it comes to an AT that is NOTORIOUSLy Undertuned. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 5/23/2022 at 2:10 PM, Cancrusher said:

Sentinel is a worst blaster:  Agreed

Scrapper is a worst stalker:  Don't agree.

Dominator is horrible for leveling:  Non-optimal, but not horrible.  Certainly less horrible than a controller.

Tank is a worst brute:  Used to be true, but no longer.  Some now complain a Brute is a worst tank.  Having several lvl 50 tanks and brutes (both are great AT's) I would say a brute is the happy medium between scrapper and tank and right where it should be.

I can agree with this. Tbh have no idea where that comparison to a stalker came from haha

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

On 4/12/2022 at 4:12 AM, Project said:

Hi everyone, I'm just struggling to figure out the role of the sentinel? Seems like it does less damage than both a corruptor and a blaster, while not being able to support like the corruptor, whats the point of it?

The sentinel is for people who like having ranged combat options but don't like being made of glass until they can kit themselves out wit set bonuses. It is particularly for people who cannot stand playing without status protection.

The AT is probably somewhat undertuned, but taken for what it is, it's not without merit. There's fun to be had playing a Sentinel, you just cannot compare yourself to better tuned damage dealers. Or play with people who will do the comparison for you.

Bio Armor as a secondary really helps, as it's respectably tough when soloing but gives a useful damage buff when you have teammates to take some of the aggro.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of wonder what is the Sentinel's team identity. The only thing it brings to the team is damage and pretty much all other ATs do that better or equal along with the buffs/debuffs they bring.

Opportunity doesn't happen enough or make a difference someone on the team will notice.

Has anyone been on a team and had someone say "That God you popped Opportunity when you did or we would have wiped! "

I think the problem that I've been seeing is that the -40% AOE cap before the (very variable AT scalar?) means that Sentinels are very mediocre damage dealers on teams. The .6 to .95 (Really, just random numbers almost?) ranged numbers means that you need to survive longer to take down harder foes.

Bosses, Elite Bosses and Archvillains/Monsters/Giant Monsters make playing a Sentinel a real struggle, especially as the higher end can actually outpace your damage with their native regenerations.

Scrappers feel much tougher and I think that's because a lot of their mitigation is melee centric, someplace a Sentinel can't really survive that well. Having higher hit points definitely helps. 

So the only thing that Sentinels do well is... solo at lower difficulty levels and don't get mezzed.

As others pointed out, a very mediocre AT that has no standouts. So a literally pity spot on tough content.

Good thing that we don't have any super hard content coming out, right? /sarcasm

Edited by arthurh35353
added comment, corrected a number.