Energy Melee Attack Chains, ATOs and a Build for review

TungstenShark

39 minutes ago, thunder_crane said:

What about this post detailing the CS proc being in ET so that you can guarantee a proc on TF, thereby getting 2 quick ET stacks?

TF doesn't need to crit to guarantee short ET. It doesn't even need to land, just be cast. It does put some different thoughts on why CS/ATO2 should be used in ET. You can do some fun things with ATO2 in ET. You're gonna be able to do Whirling Hands and another attack in the ATO2 window with it there.

*wait, did my response before sound like I was advocating for ATO2 in something other then ET? Cause I'm team ET for where I think ATO2 should be.

TF doesn't need to crit to guarantee short ET. It doesn't even need to land, just be cast. It does put some different thoughts on why CS/ATO2 should be used in ET. You can do some fun things with ATO2 in ET. You're gonna be able to do Whirling Hands and another attack in the ATO2 window with it there.

*wait, did my response before sound like I was advocating for ATO2 in something other then ET? Cause I'm team ET for where I think ATO2 should be.

No it definitely sounded like you advise ATO2 in ET, but I was curious about the case for ATO2 in ET purely for wanting TF crits - to get 2 short ET stacks rather than one (essentially what that post is talking about) and how that would impact the overall dps. Not sure if having way way more short ETs overall would outweigh having crits in 2 skills (assuming you can't fit anything else after TF since it has such a long activation time).

Sounds like having TF crit means you get no extra damage but instead of 1 Energy Focus for 1 short ET, you get 2 Energy Focus for 2 short ETs. So you fit twice the amount of short ETs as before (maybe resulting in never needing long ETs? dunno), but it sounds like you basically never get the extra damage from your ATO2? Might have to test the difference there..

Edited by thunder_crane
  • Like 1

I might be wrong, but I have the ATO crit-proc in TF and usually I have enough time to fire off 2 other quick attacks like Fireball + BS or even Fire Blast / BS. Typically I haven't been using ET in the proc window as I thought ET has a hard-capped crit damage and it would be better to use it on other attacks that get the full crit.  Maybe I'm wrong - open to veteran advice.  I did like the TF->Fireball (crit) for groups.  TF to me seems to proc the proc a lot, not sure how much it fires in ET.

On 8/31/2022 at 3:11 PM, brasilgringo said:

I might be wrong, but I have the ATO crit-proc in TF and usually I have enough time to fire off 2 other quick attacks like Fireball + BS or even Fire Blast / BS. Typically I haven't been using ET in the proc window as I thought ET has a hard-capped crit damage and it would be better to use it on other attacks that get the full crit.  Maybe I'm wrong - open to veteran advice.  I did like the TF->Fireball (crit) for groups.  TF to me seems to proc the proc a lot, not sure how much it fires in ET.

Essentially a summary of stuff here as far as I can tell:

1. BS opener with ATO2 proc in BS:

A. BS (crit proc) > TF > ET (short) > Snipe > (BS > ET if TF crits, otherwise restart)

B. BS (crit proc) > TF > ET (short) > BS (crit proc) > Snipe > (ET or TF > ET - have seen both not sure reasoning between the difference)

2. ET opener with ATO2 proc in TF: A. ET (long) > TF (crit proc) > ET (short) > Snipe > BS

3. ET opener with ATO2 proc in ET: A. ET (long with crit proc) > TF > ET (short) > BS > Snipe

4. TF opener with ATO2 proc in ET: A. TF > Buildup > ET (short with crit proc) > Snipe > BS

What do you open with? Fit any of the above?? Fwiw Kanil said he runs BS opener to crit TF for double stacks as well. Didn't get a clear idea of his actual rotation though. 

• 2 weeks later
On 4/30/2022 at 2:02 PM, Bopper said:

But if true optimal slotting is desired, folks should be looking at @SomeGuy slotting (but don't slot up Boxing like that, there's no need for a 6th 10% recharge bonus).

By this, am I to assume that the rule of 5 applies to bonuses that offer the same percentages as well? In other words, if I have 5 LotG 7.5% recharge increases, and I have some random other set that provides 7.5% recharge, that extra set would not be counted?

Or were you just saying 6 10% recharge bonuses were overkill at that point?

8 minutes ago, Gammos said:

By this, am I to assume that the rule of 5 applies to bonuses that offer the same percentages as well? In other words, if I have 5 LotG 7.5% recharge increases, and I have some random other set that provides 7.5% recharge, that extra set would not be counted?

Or were you just saying 6 10% recharge bonuses were overkill at that point?

LotGs are an exception to that rule. You get the five LotGs +rech and five 7.5% +rech from other sources if you want.

That said, correct, the 6th 10% recharge would not count.

Edited by Troo
  • Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 minutes ago, Troo said:

LotGs are an exception to that rule. You get the five LotGs +rech and five 7.5% +rech from other sources if you want.

That said, correct, the 6th 10% recharge would not count.

Is it because it's an IO bonus versus a set bonus so they count as two separate lanes?

Just now, Gammos said:

Is it because it's an IO bonus versus a set bonus so they count as two separate lanes?

I believe so.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum