Energy Melee Attack Chains, ATOs and a Build for review

TungstenShark

Hmmm...what this thread did do, was make me realize, I could go with the DAMAGE IO (Apocalypse) in Moonbeam, instead of the DAMAGE/RECHARGE IO.  Still keeps it gapless on the chain (except for the 4.3 seconds of no Hasten).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later
On 4/30/2022 at 5:25 PM, BrandX said:

I never considered it griefing myself.  However, I never considered it griefing or rude if someone jumped in on a one on one match in a open pvp zone.  Want to one on one without someone jumping in, use arena 😛

IIRC, doing that means a loss of merits for the league, defeating pylons to drop the shield rewards vanguard merits per pylon defeat.

That deprives the gathered players of an earned reward, which can be considered greifing.

1 hour ago, ZeeHero said:

Since when has bio been squishy? wasn't it the most overpowered armor? did it get nerfed?

It's overpowered on the damage output side, not on the mitigation side. It's highly susceptible to slows since it leans so heavily on the +absorb/heal clicks.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Amaterasu said:

IIRC, doing that means a loss of merits for the league, defeating pylons to drop the shield rewards vanguard merits per pylon defeat.

That deprives the gathered players of an earned reward, which can be considered greifing.

They're open world targets and I don't recall massive rewards for them, with the majority of vanguard merits coming from rikti defeats.  I believe the real thing, may be a start on timers, but there is an instance they can go to.

It is embarrassingly easy to get caught in the Pylon/MSR situation.  Even at off times like early mornings.  Did this accidentally long ago while trying to figure out a quirk that I noticed in Double-Hit/Savage Leap.  Didn't expect to see an MSR at that hour, but there ya go, they can pop off at any time.  I was so lost in the combat log - chat window wasn't even open.

Ever since I just copy to Beta and go from there when I want to test something.

That works out much better all around. 🙂

Edited by InvaderStych

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

It's overpowered on the damage output side, not on the mitigation side. It's highly susceptible to slows since it leans so heavily on the +absorb/heal clicks.

I have a friend who had an incredibly brokenly overpowered bio scrapper that literally could not die so...

49 minutes ago, ZeeHero said:

I have a friend who had an incredibly brokenly overpowered bio scrapper that literally could not die so...

Depends on what they used not to die. There's several broken powers available to everyone that when used by meleers easily cover up any mitigation holes we might have. Doesn't mean the underlying set is overpowered on mitigation, just means utilizing all the tools available to make squishy lives better can make meleers into unkillable gods.

Edit: I mean, my nrg/bio scrapper with shadowmeld is insane. If I added Rune of Protection she'd go right past insane into "by the dark and elder gods why is this even allowed?!?!"

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

6 hours ago, ZeeHero said:

Since when has bio been squishy? wasn't it the most overpowered armor? did it get nerfed?

Since the end of Beta right before shutdown (so back in 2011). It was never the unkillable armor that people who were only spreadsheet warriors screamed of. Bio is squishy as hell. Bio is a melee glass cannon. It's offensive output can not be matched, but if you actually capitalize on the sets true strength get ready to ride the bleeding edge of life and debt.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SomeGuy said:

Since the end of Beta right before shutdown (so back in 2011). It was never the unkillable armor that people who were only spreadsheet warriors screamed of. Bio is squishy as hell. Bio is a melee glass cannon. It's offensive output can not be matched, but if you actually capitalize on the sets true strength get ready to ride the bleeding edge of life and debt.

Still stronger than regen.

/ducks

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/30/2022 at 4:41 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

And I just got bitched out in broadcast for soloing pylons cuz they decided to start forming a raid.

If I was there testing first, too bad so sad, they can run the instanced LFG MSR version.  The LFG pylons are NOT the same as the zone pylons, so I can't as easily do the same thing, or I would.  But I do try to run the majority of my testing on one of the test servers when it's reasonably possible.

• Thumbs Up 2

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

14 minutes ago, Linea said:

If I was there testing first, too bad so sad, they can run the instanced LFG MSR version.  The LFG pylons are NOT the same as the zone pylons, so I can't as easily do the same thing, or I would.  But I do try to run the majority of my testing on one of the test servers when it's reasonably possible.

Yep.  IMO, there is not a single legitimate reason at all to run a zone MSR anymore.  Not a single one.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:46 PM, Bill Z Bubba said:

And I just got bitched out in broadcast for soloing pylons cuz they decided to start forming a raid. Fuck em.

Does that lock them out somehow? Doesnt it just make 1 less pylon for them to kill?

3 minutes ago, Greldek said:

Does that lock them out somehow? Doesnt it just make 1 less pylon for them to kill?

That's what I thought at first but there are two other issues. League gets 3 v-merits per pylon. And apparently there's some timer that starts with the first pylon down.

Honestly, I don't consider either an issue. If someone is really going to freak out about the loss of 3-15 v-merits, that's their problem. And since even if a pylon respawns while the league is clearing the remainder of them, so what? They have to go an extra few hundred yards to spend 10 seconds taking it down? At first I was angry at the attitude, then I calmed down a bit and listened to the rationale for complaints here on the forums and in general chat, but in the end, I ended back at "fark 'em, ain't their zone, I'll do my pylon testing when I damn well please."

• Like 3

That's what I thought. I was sure there wasnt a lockout timer that would bring the MSR to a halt.  and like was mentioned there is a instanced version they van spawn if they need those merits, but chances are 99% of those merits will just sit in their inventory for months/years.

2 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

"fark 'em, ain't their zone, I'll do my pylon testing when I damn well please."

Start the MSR by yourself while they are forming...done that a few times 😄 And I absolutely did it out of spite from someone whining at me for doing a test.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Thrax said:

Yeah kill pylons if you want. Raid is worthless anyway. You can get more merits for an apex OR tin mage in way less time. People like doing it and having alts sit there and get xp

While I to could care less about the 3-15 v-merits being missed out by them, the v-merits can be used for things you can't get else where and turned into reward merits.  So, I'm sure they get used.

I stand by using bone smasher to fish for procs to use on TF being the best way to do it. It's less consistent than others, but critting TF is the most significant swing in dps you can get if you're willing to adapt your rotation on the fly.

This also works best for general clearing for me, get a proc off bone smasher and that's license to delete a pack with ball lightning>whirling hands.

Edited by ScarySai
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later
On 5/22/2022 at 10:28 PM, ScarySai said:

I stand by using bone smasher to fish for procs to use on TF being the best way to do it. It's less consistent than others, but critting TF is the most significant swing in dps you can get if you're willing to adapt your rotation on the fly.

This also works best for general clearing for me, get a proc off bone smasher and that's license to delete a pack with ball lightning>whirling hands.

Came here to ask about this. I saw the other rotation being discussed on page one but have been reading on Discord and it seems people there prefere Crit Strikes proc in BS and use something like "BS > TF > ET > snipe > ET"

Unsure if that rotation continues with BS again or Energy Punch but wanted input on this compared to the main rotation talked about in this tread which opens with Long ET and uses Crit procs in TF to get the proc on fast ET after.

The crit proc in BS opener doesn't make much sense to me - are we essentially saying that:

ET (long) > TF (crit proc) > ET (short) > Snipe > BS = you only gain possibility of crit in ET

while

BS (crit proc) > TF > ET (short) > Snipe > ET = you gain possibility of a crit in TF AND ET?

Edited by thunder_crane

TF-(buildup-ET (ATO2 here)-Snipe-BS

Short ET looks like this for the ATO2 proc:

image.png.e751c61e486379b18bfe711679dc48eb.png

Whereas TF's looks like this:

image.png.de53a81d179303c0250ad689dcbde6d7.png

That is going to eat up a LOT of the benefit of the ATO2 firing. If the ATO2 is in ET that leaves enough time to do a BS-Snipe in that window. Sometimes a BS is skipped since you should be doing BU in between TF and ET. So you can get a Snipe-TF (I think...but you can definitely get a TF). Keep in mind the ATO2 lasts for 3.25s once it activates. BS-Snipe is 3.036 total arcana time. You have 2.85s of ATO2 with it in ET. You have 1.483 with it in TF. So if you have the ATO2 in TF you get ONE attack (because you only get 1.005s of ATO2 if it's in TF). If it's in ET you get 2.85s. That's a lot of time.

Even if you cast long ET it looks like this:

image.png.475f469edd4e65bdfce268218026d4a5.png

Now the arcana time for long ET in 2,9, so you get 2.546s of the proc benefits, but that is still massively different than with it in TF.

image.png

ATO2 Duration

ET Short: 2.85s

ET long: 2.546s

BS: 2.498s

TF: 1.005s

Edited by SomeGuy