Massive server lag

DeathsHead

Hi,

I've been playing regularly for the last few years, and starting yesterday (Saturday May 7th) there has been severe lag with the servers. The kind of lag that makes map loading take 5 min or more, and gameplay is almost impossible. I'll get maybe 20 min of decent play in, and then the next 20 or so min the lag crushes my game and I can barely make it through a single mission. Team play is the worst, I can't tell what's going on, powers don't activate or animate only sporadically, the rubber banding is brutal, the sound is totally out of sync with what few visuals I get and the visuals are choppy and erratic at best. I've done everything I can on my end, including upgrading from Tequila to HC Launcher, reinstalling the game, rebooting many times, trying different characters and different servers, rebooting all of my internet hardware, and running speedtests (I'm at 950 Mb up/down). Everything else on my computer and on the internet works great, so it seems that there is some kind of server issue going on. Has anyone else had issues this weekend? Are there any GMs or devs who are aware of a possible issue?

Thank you.

Haven't seen lag that you're describing.

In the past computer updates have mimicked server lag.

I use Tequila and logged into both Indom & Excel.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last night I had more severe lag in the MSR on Everlasting than I've ever had, and it seemed a few others were facing the same thing too. Nothing else going on in the background; had shutdown my browsers and such; screenshake was toggled off. But that's the only time I've experienced anything super noticeable regarding it. I expect some lag during MSRs, but last night was more than normal. At least we didn't crash the server though because I've had that happen before. xD

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

8 hours ago, Troo said:

Haven't seen lag that you're describing.

In the past computer updates have mimicked server lag.

I use Tequila and logged into both Indom & Excel.

OK, thank you. Hopefully it goes away on its own, but I'll see if there's anything else I can do.

8 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

Last night I had more severe lag in the MSR on Everlasting than I've ever had, and it seemed a few others were facing the same thing too. Nothing else going on in the background; had shutdown my browsers and such; screenshake was toggled off. But that's the only time I've experienced anything super noticeable regarding it. I expect some lag during MSRs, but last night was more than normal. At least we didn't crash the server though because I've had that happen before. xD

OK, interesting. I hope it doesn't continue for either of us, but also good to know I'm maybe not totally alone lol. Thanks!

Most of the time, "lag" as you call it is on the client end.

Restart your cable/DSL modem and router.
If it's a separate device, restart your wifi router, access points and range extenders.
Reboot your computer.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

5 hours ago, Hyperstrike said:

Most of the time, "lag" as you call it is on the client end.

Restart your cable/DSL modem and router.
If it's a separate device, restart your wifi router, access points and range extenders.
Reboot your computer.

Yes, I've done this. It didn't seem to make a huge difference, although I was only able to play for another hour or so after restarting everything. I should be able to log in again today for a while, hopefully there is more improvement. Thanks!

1 hour ago, DeathsHead said:

Yes, I've done this. It didn't seem to make a huge difference, although I was only able to play for another hour or so after restarting everything. I should be able to log in again today for a while, hopefully there is more improvement. Thanks!

If rebooting your local devices doesn't work, it's somewhere between your ISP and the server.

The reason it's probably not the server is that EVERYONE would be complaining if it were.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

13 minutes ago, Hyperstrike said:

If rebooting your local devices doesn't work, it's somewhere between your ISP and the server.

The reason it's probably not the server is that EVERYONE would be complaining if it were.

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. Which is the worst case scenario, since those components are essentially impossible for me to interact with to resolve anything. If the problem continues I'll do some in-depth network troubleshooting. I'm also going to look at my GPU and see if it's spiking in utilization when the issues occur. I don't see why that would have started happening recently, but at least there would be some potential actions to take if it is related.

9 minutes ago, biostem said:

I don't know if the login or game server IPs are publicly known, but if they are, you could run a pingplotter to them to see if or where you're experiencing an issue, if it's outside of your specific location...

Agreed, thanks! Once I join a game session I should be able to use PerfMon or netstat -ano to find the session, after which I'll be able to use tools like pingplotter, pathping, and tracert to see if there is a specific choke point.

• Thumbs Up 1