"Betcha didn't see THAT coming!": The MARTIAL CONTROL Powerset

I've been working on lots of ideas for a long time and it's been too long since I've presented one, so here's one I just realized was ready to debut:

MARTIAL CONTROL (Control)

Available to: Controllers

Set Color: Black-on-Rust

Not every gritty street-fighter favors simple frontal assault or stoic trading of blows, and not every subtle manipulator is some otherworldly mage, convoluted gadgeteer, or gifted mutant; masters of Martial Control use gumption, cunning, mundane tools, and tricky wrists to tie their enemies in painful knots. Martial Control is very unusual among Control sets for its emphasis on close-ranged attacks and tricks; it makes up for this vulnerability, and for some of its control effects being relatively short or weak, with reasonable endurance costs, better-than-average speed, and most importantly, significantly better damage than most other Control sets.

1) Blackjack – A simple attack with a good old-fashioned blackjack, moderately damaging and severely stunning the target.

Damage: Moderate Smashing Recharge: Fast

2) Golf Swing – FOOORE! Your (or maybe somebody else's) trusty nine-iron has a helpful extra bit of reach, and your practiced swing with it both carries a painful punch and knocks the target into the air.

Damage: Moderate Smashing Recharge: Fast

3) Nerve Pinch – Secrets of anatomy both ancient and cutting-edge enable you to reach in and press just the right spot on nearly any foe to cause both serious pain and temporary paralysis.

Damage: Moderate Smashing/Psionic Recharge: Moderate

4) Boomerang Wave – Boomerangs used in their ancient function as weapons aren't actually supposed to return the way "toy" ones do, but you have your ways (or perhaps just a very large stockpile); an artful toss of one of your boomerangs will ricochet from foe to foe, inflicting mild damage and a lasting stun on foes in a short cone ahead of you.

Damage: Minor Smashing Recharge: Moderate

5) Pinata Spin – Using a dirty, dangerous fusion of wrestling and party tricks, you grab a foe and spin it around until it becomes not only so dizzy and confused as to start attacking its own enemies, but with a chance of so enraging it that these misguided attacks do increased damage, besides!

Recharge: Slow

6) Sucker Punch – A fearsome sock to the face (or whatever your enemy's got) that not only carries an effective placate effect from the shock of the blow, but deals a great deal more damage if the target is presently under another control effect from this set.

Damage: Special Smashing Recharge: Slow

7) Tear Gas – A few household chemicals and a supply of cheap delivery-vessels are all you need to make your own tear-gas grenades, and enemies in a cloud of such gas will be effectively paralyzed by blindness and choking. This mass hold effect is cheaper and faster, but also has a shorter-lasting, compared to similar effects in most other Control sets.

Recharge: Slow

😎 Rat King – 'Strength in numbers?' Not on your watch! All you need is a volatile mass of cables, zipties, and superglue at your disposal to put your enemies in a world of collective hurt. Enemies caught in the area are immobilized, suffer reduced recharge rates and damage resistance, and even face a very small chance to lash out at their fellow 'rat-kings' in confused desperation - the more targets are effected, the greater the severity and probability of all these effects!

Recharge: Long

9) Come Out and Play – A master of the streets such as yourself commands the respect and fear of friend and enemy alike - and sometimes, you can rope a few into doing you a favor. You summon 1-3 Lieutenant-level henchmen, randomly culled from the ranks of either the Warriors, Sky Raiders, Family, Tsoo, Wyvern, Private Security, Lost, Freakshow, Trolls, Outcasts, Council, Scrapyarders, Knives of Artemis, Destroyers, Syndicate, or Carnival of War, to fight by your side. They can be healed and buffed like any normal ally.

Recharge: Long

Example Character Concept: The Unflappable Butler! (Vigilante Martial Control/Poison Natural Controller)

Edited by AspieAnarchy
minor clerical edits; color-coded attack damage-types
  • Thumbs Up 4

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

The game lags because you touch yourself at night - @Zem

11 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Oh god! Yes! If only for the sheer hilarity as shown in the OP! Do it! Let the panic ensue! 😄

Sorry if I'm a yutz, but in this case, what do you mean by "the OP"?

...If you're not willing to risk your life or what you hold dear to accomplish your goal, then maybe you should re-think what you really want. Power, control, security; all of those are just fancy ways of saying that you're afraid, and you want to not be afraid anymore. People will do a lot to avoid fear, even become the monsters they're afraid of. - Crimson

21 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Okay; I guess I was confused by the word "shown".

Replace Boomerangs with Bolas , they would be better suited for "Control".

The basic concept that Controller are normally ranged i let out in open for now, to me it seems more like a mix of a Dominators 1st and second Powerset.

Former Player on Server:

Protector, Guardian, Virtue, Liberty, Freedom, Union and Defiant (Hero Side) and part Time Infinity

Justice, Pinnacle, Victory (Villain Side)

Currently Reunion is the Main Server

I'm in favor of anything that gives us a better Natural option for Control.  However, since a Troller needs to lock down a CROWD quickly, I'd suggest making a Confuse (maybe combined with a Taunt?) A VERY early power, so you can distract enemies before you wade in to mess them all up.  Also, as for the Pinata Spin, I think you might have trouble with a custom animation....but IF that is solved, maybe make it so it also applies KD to other enemies near you, like you're swinging the one mob INTO them?