Star Wars: Andor on D+

It's a lift from old-school fashy fashion, so gives you that same visual cue - but I'd have skipped it. Imperial and WW2 German army officer uniforms used old-school flared-hip riding jodhpurs, so they'd fit properly with the jackboots. TBH they looked pretty silly back then as well, but don't they have Lycra in space? Chasing down rebels and getting foiled by a closing lift?

Imperial Hammer Time aside, I'm down TW's comment (within the spoiler, but not a spoiler) that wardrobe excel themselves even with minor characters. Everything's rich with detail that tells you who they are and what they do, even what they mean - compare the clinical white of ISB to the shabby, tacky blue/orange of the corp HojoTroopers. That uniform discipline is pristine on Coruscant and slacking on a backwater base. Perrin's self-aggrandising MASSIVE BROOCHES and manspreading robe. Vel, both pre- and post- glow-up - that radical shift shows you how much of a chameleon she really is. Cassian's Miami Beach rig. Even down to Syril's manager's ridiculous pootling clip-on tie.

Spoilery stuff ahoy:

Spoiler
  • Didn't think of the art connection. Admiral Brainy Smurf could deduce a lot about Luthen from the pieces he chooses for the gallery.
  • Is Mon's irritating daughter up to something herself - is that the turning point in Mon's arc, if the daughter gets busted for protesting or accidentally betrays her?
  • We knew there was a jailbreak coming from the first trailer. Around 2'05" you see the prisoners running and Cassian smashing a door lock.
  • Again, wardrobe bringing us a possible clue here. The outfit is clinical white with orange - giving me less a feeling of prisoner than... experiment, like Chel in Portal
  • Taking a cue from current events - is the mass incarceration just a crackdown, or is the Emperor recruiting/brainwashing prisoners as Stormtroopers? The ISB meetings mentioned there was a quota for how many people were being arrested - that sounds on the surface like just Imps being over-officious gits, but if you needed all those warm bodies for something...

• Like 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

11 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

One thing i noticed in this last ep is how ridiculous the ISB's pants are for spies. Sure these are the desk spies but could you imagine trying to follow someone quietly without knocking over everything in your path with those things Dedra had on?

2 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

It's a lift from old-school fashy fashion, so gives you that same visual cue - but I'd have skipped it. Imperial and WW2 German army officer uniforms used old-school flared-hip riding jodhpurs, so they'd fit properly with the jackboots. TBH they looked pretty silly back then as well, but don't they have Lycra in space? Chasing down rebels and getting foiled by a closing lift?

Imperial Hammer Time aside, I'm down TW's comment (within the spoiler, but not a spoiler) that wardrobe excel themselves even with minor characters. Everything's rich with detail that tells you who they are and what they do, even what they mean - compare the clinical white of ISB to the shabby, tacky blue/orange of the corp HojoTroopers. That uniform discipline is pristine on Coruscant and slacking on a backwater base. Perrin's self-aggrandising MASSIVE BROOCHES and manspreading robe. Vel, both pre- and post- glow-up - that radical shift shows you how much of a chameleon she really is. Cassian's Miami Beach rig. Even down to Syril's manager's ridiculous pootling clip-on tie.

Spoilery stuff ahoy:

Hide contents
  • Didn't think of the art connection. Admiral Brainy Smurf could deduce a lot about Luthen from the pieces he chooses for the gallery.
  • Is Mon's irritating daughter up to something herself - is that the turning point in Mon's arc, if the daughter gets busted for protesting or accidentally betrays her?
  • We knew there was a jailbreak coming from the first trailer. Around 2'05" you see the prisoners running and Cassian smashing a door lock.
  • Again, wardrobe bringing us a possible clue here. The outfit is clinical white with orange - giving me less a feeling of prisoner than... experiment, like Chel in Portal
  • Taking a cue from current events - is the mass incarceration just a crackdown, or is the Emperor recruiting/brainwashing prisoners as Stormtroopers? The ISB meetings mentioned there was a quota for how many people were being arrested - that sounds on the surface like just Imps being over-officious gits, but if you needed all those warm bodies for something...

Jodhpurs survive in Star Wars precisely because they do reflect the WWII Nazi look.  (Sweeps Gen. Patton behind the curtain.  Nothing to see here, move on, move on...)  And regarding Mr. Vee's comment, the conditions here are top-level administrators in dress uniforms. It is very likely any days they had as spies are over.  ISB spies would be granted civilian attire or whatever is needed for the job.  What would be interesting to see is a work uniform.  Whites for formal, blue or camo for work, just like the US Navy.

Responding to The OGDW:

Spoiler
  • Is Mon's irritating daughter up to something herself - is that the turning point in Mon's arc, if the daughter gets busted for protesting or accidentally betrays her?  I started thinking about this just this morning.  We were never given an explanation of why the daughter wanted to be excused from the party nor why she was so fidgety to the point of rudeness to Tay.  On the surface, I took it to mean that she, like her dad, was self-absorbed and wanting to leave something she considered boring, BUT then I consider that in her previous, very rude speech to her mum, she accused Mon of not caring about others.  That potentially creates a different spin.  She very well may be doing Rebel-like work in the background, and her caustic rudeness is a red herring. 
  • We knew there was a jailbreak coming from the first trailer. Around 2'05" you see the prisoners running and Cassian smashing a door lock.  You are correct.  At this point I'm wondering if we'll see anything of his previous jail sentence. Oh, and as to that, I completely misread the scene where a youth walks past Clem hanging and charges the clone stormtroopers.  Others reacting on YouTube did as well.  At the time, we'd all considered it some anonymous youth upset with the new status quo.  I think that is because we didn't pick up on the fact the younger actor was portraying Cassian.  I'm now back up to speed and realize that must have been how he ended up in juvie jail (gaol?).
  • Again, wardrobe bringing us a possible clue here. The outfit is clinical white with orange - giving me less a feeling of prisoner than... experiment, like Chel in Portal?   That is an interesting thought.
  • Taking a cue from current events - is the mass incarceration just a crackdown, or is the Emperor recruiting/brainwashing prisoners as Stormtroopers? The ISB meetings mentioned there was a quota for how many people were being arrested - that sounds on the surface like just Imps being over-officious gits, but if you needed all those warm bodies for something...  Also an interesting thought.  We know Finn (the Sequel Trilogy) was raised from a child to be a nameless, numbered Stormtrooper in the First Order, the remnant of the Empire, so ideas like substantial brainwashing and stealing children from those captured in order to make soldiers sounds about right.  I would point out though that the Empire is incredibly species racist, and you'll notice that there are no alien species in their ranks, with the (currently) lone exception of one Chiss Grand Admiral.  (This is written likely to show Sith cult doctrine, that only the Sith race, now extinct, and humans are worthy species)  So a brainwashing recruitment process would be selective, only targeting humans and healthy ones at that.

Spoiler
29 minutes ago, Techwright said:

So a brainwashing recruitment process would be selective, only targeting humans and healthy ones at that.

Very likely - but with this crackdown, it's not like they're going to be short of a pool to choose from.

Less-favoured species might well wind up as pressganged labour, or... well. Taken care of in other ways.

Far as I remember, Thrawny Smurf was previously a warrior and leader for his own species, before joining the Empire and getting through the Academy. From your description, sounds like it'd be one hell of a gig for a non-human, but the lad clearly had talent.

• Like 1

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

2 minutes ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:
  Hide contents

Very likely - but with this crackdown, it's not like they're going to be short of a pool to choose from.

Less-favoured species might well wind up as pressganged labour, or... well. Taken care of in other ways.

Far as I remember, Thrawny Smurf was previously a warrior and leader for his own species, before joining the Empire and getting through the Academy. From your description, sounds like it'd be one hell of a gig for a non-human, but the lad clearly had talent.

From what I recall, and its been several years so accuracy may suffer, the Chiss impressed the Emperor.  They had structural similarities to the Empire and voluntarily aligned themselves with it.  As a result, no conquest was necessary, and the Chiss Empire largely maintains its independence so long as it remains allied to the Empire.  Thrawn particularly stood out, so he was granted a special privilege, which his action have confirmed was the right move.  Chiss being near-human (a Star Wars term for a human offshoot species) the Emperor could afford a handwave allowing Thrawn to serve.  Going forward, I'd not be surprised if Disney rewrote the lore book and because of Thrawn allowed the Chiss to be the third race in the Sith's favored graces, though since we've already a lot of material out there for the "future" beyond Andor, and no Chiss among them, they might have to make it a rare appearance and/or add a few in digitally to the background shots.  I'd be fascinated to discover that Thrawn and the Chiss are a driving force behind the creation or sustenance of either the First Order or the Last Order.

As a side note, despite the Empire military's xenophobia, Thrawn's presence and power allowed for another species to serve: the Noghri.  Though not in uniform, these tough, diminutive, and highly intelligent guards acted as extensions of Thrawn's will, and as such, have been shown to give orders to even planetary governors.  So it could be said that Thrawn was gradually changing his masters' perception of having alien species in the ranks.

Re Brainy Smurf a lot of this is covered in the newer book trilogy.

Spoiler

There's no direct involvement between the Chiss and the Empire, it's just Thrawn and Palpatine. And the relationship is tense. The rest of the Empire folks range from begrudgingly respectful of his talent to outright hostile.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

Re Brainy Smurf a lot of this is covered in the newer book trilogy.

Reveal hidden contents

There's no direct involvement between the Chiss and the Empire, it's just Thrawn and Palpatine. And the relationship is tense. The rest of the Empire folks range from begrudgingly respectful of his talent to outright hostile.

I'd not read the newer books.  That's very interesting, and surprisingly a different feel from the Grand Admiral Smurf of Rebels.  Thanks for posting that.

They're pretty good. Along with Tarkin and most of the Plagueis book they're my favorite of the new canon I've read, but I've not read a lot of it. Was audiobooking them as they came out until CoH came back and cut into my mindless puzzle game time 😀. The Thrawns are the only ones I've read since. They aren't as good as I remember the original Thrawn trilogy being but I've also not read that since I was a teen, so no idea about actual quality.

So, another setup episode...

Spoiler
  • Not an experiment. Imperial factory prison. Arbeit macht frei and all that. Anyone recognise what they're making? Feels like it might be those burner satellites...
  • But in terms of psychology... well, absolutely an experiment in control. Very Milgrammy. If the inmates are competing to avoid discipline (and get slightly better nutri paste), they're not trying to escape. Probably big industrial-control metaphor here. The electrified floor is genius-level evil.
  • Ah, it's an expensive actor who's therefore a villain. But nice to see Andy Serkis whatever he's in.
  • Were the guys in the tubes signalling to each other or going insane?
  • Baby Mon is still suspicious. I think she's thinking affair rather than anything else. Frankly, I would be too. We also now know it's an arranged marriage. Which neither seem all that happy in...
  • Vel not having a good day, and getting a goodbye. Again, loving that each and every character gets polished, even with slightly blunt lines like "I'm a mirror..."
  • Dedra shut down Syril cold - no alliances here. But that might wind up being her downfall? She's highly efficient and has already caught Bix for sending unauthorised transmissions...
  • ...luckily, Luthen's meticulous and risk-averse. If they'd answered that call, they'd be in custody by now.
  • Saw Guerrera in some colder digs. Odd Brit scriptwriting creeping in - having Forrest saying "dosh" and "pinched" seems a little awkward. We also haven't seen the angry ("EVERYTHING!") speech from Luthen yet, so I guess there's at least one more high stakes gamble to come...

Do we think this pays off next week? Will either side figure out where Cassian is - or miss him by inches? 

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver

This episode had my skin crawling.  Whomever designed this dehumanizing look and feel either deserves an award or a trip to a psych doctor, or both.

Answering in orange:

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

So, another setup episode...

Hide contents
  • Not an experiment. Imperial factory prison. Arbeit macht frei and all that. Anyone recognise what they're making? Feels like it might be those burner satellites...  I do not recognize the machinery currently, and I've yet to find a good explanation on the web (New Rockstars might have one in a day or two), but I assumed these were components for the Death Star.  It would make a certain poetic sense given this is Cassian Andor.  Burner satellites I'd not considered, but that could work.
  • But in terms of psychology... well, absolutely an experiment in control. Very Milgrammy. If the inmates are competing to avoid discipline (and get slightly better nutri paste), they're not trying to escape. Probably big industrial-control metaphor here. The electrified floor is genius-level evil.  I do like it when you post things I don't recognize and I have to turn to the web to learn new things.  I have no memory from college psych classes 30+ years ago of Milgram, but from what I just read it does indeed sound like his work.
  • Ah, it's an expensive actor who's therefore a villain. But nice to see Andy Serkis whatever he's in.  I'm surprised they'd hand Andy a lesser role.  I'd have expected him to be made an ISB leader at least.  Still, if he's up for it, it's jake with me. 
  • Were the guys in the tubes signalling to each other or going insane?  I'm casting my lot with signaling.  They've learned to communicate when the guards are only attentive to speech. This undoubtedly is a Chekov's gun situation, and I'm left wondering if this is a rebel element communicating despite being captured, or just a bunch of prisoners trying to free their minds.
  • Baby Mon is still suspicious. I think she's thinking affair rather than anything else. Frankly, I would be too. We also now know it's an arranged marriage. Which neither seem all that happy in...  I was surprised to get some back story with Perrin.  In a way, it humanized him.  He actually seemed a bit likeable (just a bit), and far less one-dimensional in character.  I agree, the daughter is probably misreading the Tay-Mon relationship, but would discovery of its truth change her for the better?  I do think Perrin is growing cautious about it.  That said, I'd not be surprised if it ended up turning into something deeper than just solidly good friends.  Mon is a woman seemingly trapped without friends and having only questionable allies. Finding a kindred soul in Tay (and he in her) might be the spark.
  • Vel not having a good day, and getting a goodbye. Again, loving that each and every character gets polished, even with slightly blunt lines like "I'm a mirror..."  Took me a moment to realize the "rich girl running from family" line was actually a reference to Vel's past.  I wonder where that story bit will lead.  The show is presenting all these disparate Rebels.  I'm wondering if Cassian, possibly with the aid of the manifesto (which I guess is still hidden above a shower), will become the knot that ties these separate threads together.
  • Dedra shut down Syril cold - no alliances here. But that might wind up being her downfall? She's highly efficient and has already caught Bix for sending unauthorised transmissions...  Since they're doggedly hanging onto Syril, I can see this going two ways:  (1) the Empire shuts him down so often and so hard, that he develops a taste for rebellion and the freedom it represents, or (2) he's given the chance to be the hound that Dedra needs, if not the one she really wants.
  • ...luckily, Luthen's meticulous and risk-averse. If they'd answered that call, they'd be in custody by now.  I'm still concerned about Kleya, Luthen's assistant.  I still believe the kill order came from her and not Luthen, or possibly another boss that he's unaware of (Saw?).  If so, her willingness to push the envelope of Luthen's designs may spell disaster for both of them and maybe others.
  • Saw Guerrera in some colder digs. Odd Brit scriptwriting creeping in - having Forrest saying "dosh" and "pinched" seems a little awkward. We also haven't seen the angry ("EVERYTHING!") speech from Luthen yet, so I guess there's at least one more high stakes gamble to come...  Americans use "pinched" occasionally for theft, but "dosh" is not common here.   The discussion between the two rebel leaders reveals a new name "Anto Kreegyr".  I've found nothing on this name yet, but considering Luthen's talk, this will likely be a new character onscreen shortly. Likewise Spellhaus, a planet or moon on which Kreegyr has been doing some spying.

Do we think this pays off next week? Will either side figure out where Cassian is - or miss him by inches?  Probably the latter.

Some separate thoughts:

Spoiler
  • First and foremost:  Cassian is much too intelligent a character for the ridiculous amount of time they had him bug-eyed and slack-jawed staring around at his new existence.  Just at the table 5 scene alone, Andy Circus's  character should have cracked him one over the head for standing when he was ordered to work table 5.  I realize he's in shock, but this was overplayed, IMHO.
  • How is it that guard anti-shock boots are just placed openly in the hallway rather than under lock-and-key?  They're a big part of the guard's control system.  That's rather a huge oversight for such an otherwise well-designed pen o' doom. 
  • Wondering if the creative team that brought the Raft prison to the MCU were brought in to design the prisons here.
  • I appreciated that the good-side characters on Ferrix were not abandoned by the writers after Cassian left the system. 
  • Wondering if the tunnel Maarva was trying to learn the status about will become a plot point, and not just a casual comment.
  • Finally see some backbone from Syril.  Talking back to a ISB sector leader might not be good for one's health.  Unfortunately, he's given the chance to be a real help and he freezes, giving only toss-away information.
  • The prison shuttle wrist clamps were unnerving.  Back nearly two decades ago, I never suffered from claustrophobia, until I was strapped in on one of those theme park drop rides with horse-collar restraints, only to have the two ride operators get into a 20-minute argument with each other ignoring all the restrained riders.  a zone leader finally figured out there was a problem and released us, but I can't easily work with restraints like that again.  Seeing it onscreen, even for a few moments was very intense.
  • It is surprising how reluctant Yularen is to embrace the search for rebel thieves and leaders given the weight of evidence presented, and the free hand given to his division by the emperor.

Edited by Techwright

Just learned there's a scene with some controversy at the end of the episode "The Eye":

Spoiler

At the end of the episode "The Eye" we see Cinta, in uniform disguise walk out into the hills unchallenged, with the cosmic event called "The Eye" surging overhead.  For the moment (because a later episode may still address this) this scene has created a "Lady or the Tiger" moment.

If any are unaware of the reference, and doesn't mind a spoiler for an old story, "The Lady or the Tiger" is a short story in which a man is placed in an arena and forced to pick between two doors. I'll not explain everything, but behind one door is a beautiful woman to whom he will be immediately married.  Behind the other lies a man-eating tiger and death.  He picks a door but the story ends without revealing the result.  It is left to the reader to decide.

Back to "The Eye":  Cinta was left in charge of the Empire-supporting civilian prisoners (and a few captured guards?), yet we're not told or shown their fate.  Knowing Cinta is the hardest of the seven (her whole family was slaughtered by stormtroopers),  speculation has been put forth that Cinta killed them to protect the team's identities.  But we've no information for or against.  Hence "The Lady or the Tiger".  If the writers never comment on it later in the series, I have to wonder if this was a deliberate move to leave the audience speculating.

Also had a thought regarding episode 8, and possibly the upcoming 9:

Spoiler

The prison heavily emphasized the number 7 in its design, including 7 men to work each table.  So Cassian is on a team of 7...again.  The first arc was a heist story with a team of 7 in harms way. Only 3 survived.  Might it be that the current arc, a prison break, will also revolve around a team of 7 trying to survive? If so, we already have one fact: two,Cassian and Melshi, definitely survive (both being in Rogue One). I'm wondering if there will be just one other.  Highly speculative at the moment, but the writers may be trying to create symmetry here.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:42 PM, Mr. Vee said:

I'm fine with him as a character but i really hope they don't let 

Reveal hidden contents

Serkis

anywhere near the director's chair.

Any chance you'd be willing to toss up another spoiler box and explain this viewpoint?  I've only known of one work for which that person held a director's chair, it was 2nd team, and I never noticed anything wrong.  The script was flawed but that wasn't their fault. You have me curious.

Edited by Techwright
  • Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I think he's kinda busy at the moment. 

https://www.imaginariumstudios.co.uk/about

I'm slightly gutted finding about this, as one of his post-LOTR plans was to have this place set up in my home town.

(Been doing prototype MoCap and other fun video stuff out of my old firm's studios for years, since the days of Broadsword and Knightmare.)

While they're doing lots of service stuff for games (APEX), movies (The Hobbit trilogy, Marvel) and TV (She-Hulk) - this is their first actual indie production...

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

Turns out there's already a second new Thrawn trilogy after the one I read. Because of course there is.

Thrawn just put out the first one to confuse you, because he knew that'd what you'd think...

Another setup episode, but lots of new bullets for Chekhov's blaster...

Spoiler
  • Vel and Mon are family. It kinda makes sense, but maybe it's tying a plot thread a little too close.
  • I have a feeling Vel's going to get fridged before the end of S1 as motivation for at least three characters.
  • Also, deals with gangsters are going to happen. Not great for Mon either, but needs must. Trap?
  • Ohnoes, not TEH HEADPHONES OF DOOMZOR! Neat way of doing that kind of scene: cheap visual prop but puts horror in the mind of the viewer.
  • Dedra being hugely efficient and admirably smart again...
  • ....which does, unfortunately, attract a certain kind of man.
    (I have a feeling he also likes the boots. Sorry, that's a harrrrd nope from me, Syril. Approach respectfully next time, with tribute.)
    Absolutely not the way I saw their arc going, but throws a whole new bunch of possibilities up, and Syril might wind up destroying them both.
  • ISB are onto the idiot rebel leader's power station caper, which could chalk up a serious loss for Luthen and the Rebels.
  • Back in the prison, and people are trying to nibble round the edges of the walls...
  • ...but ain't nobody getting out. And the Imps'd rather lose 100 men at once than try to subdue a floor, because they don't have the manpower to do it. Or at least, they'd have to call in a garrison, and that probably wouldn't go down well.
  • Good scenes with Serkis questioning then shifting allegiances (unless he's planning a little bit of backstabbing later on...)
  • We've still got no idea what they're building or why the hurry. Any Imperial lore folk want to take a guess? It's in bulk, so it could be fighter parts or construction materials. Or we'll never know, and it's just symbolic of mindless, repetitive work.
  • We have three episodes left for a prison break (presumably next week), and some kind of series finale with big ol' fireworks. That might be the power station gig, unless that's just written off as an ISB meeting.

EDIT: Supplemental...

Spoiler

The more I think about it, the more that scene with Syril and Dedra genuinely disturbs me. I have been in that situation where guys step way over the line - and though I've dealt with it more or less the same way she did, it still left me shaken. It's great writing but not comfortable viewing.

Frankly, if he'd tried that s**t with me, he'd have wound up in that prison factory next to Andor. Which would have been a nice irony, I suppose. And not because he's a civ and I'm an Imp and I could do that. Because if I had the option, I wouldn't want to share the same star system with anyone like that for the rest of my days.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mr. Vee said:

That would explain why my Mondrian was turned right-side-up recently.

A reference so niche, Admiralty Smurf would surely approve.

• Thumbs Up 2

And here I thought the last one was disturbing. 😬

9 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Orange responses

Another setup episode, but lots of new bullets for Chekhov's blaster...

Hide contents
  • Vel and Mon are family. It kinda makes sense, but maybe it's tying a plot thread a little too close.  I can't believe I didn't see that coming, what with the "rich girl" comment made about her last episode.  I see your point, but actually, it does make sense.  Mon and Vel are apparently blood family, and so it might be easier for them to share certain patriotic/rebel viewpoints.  For all we know it will be revealed that Mon had discussions with her (younger?) cousin that converted her from a spoiled rich brat to a thinking rebel. One wonders how the link to Luthen happened for both of them.  Did Mon introduce Vel to him?
  • I have a feeling Vel's going to get fridged before the end of S1 as motivation for at least three characters. ...and probably four. Five if Mon's daughter turn out to be hiding the seed of a rebel's heart.
  • Also, deals with gangsters are going to happen. Not great for Mon either, but needs must. Trap?  That's an interesting thought.  Might the gangster be permitted to operate, so long as he provides occasional services for the Empire?  It's one of those things that doesn't seemingly make sense:  When the Empire is this efficient at sniffing out an organized effort to steal imperial goods, how do whole gangster operations manage to function?  One answer, at least during the first half of the empire years, was Maul, apparently under the jackboot of the emperor. By the time of this episode, though, Maul is a hermitic wanderer, seeking Kenobi. 
  • Ohnoes, not TEH HEADPHONES OF DOOMZOR! Neat way of doing that kind of scene: cheap visual prop but puts horror in the mind of the viewer. Some of the best horror on film is what the audience thinks is happening, not what is shown.  It works in books as well.

• Dedra being hugely efficient and admirably smart again...  Yep.  Someone needs to introduce this monument to brains and efficiency to Admiral Smurf.  That is, assuming she survives.
  • ....which does, unfortunately, attract a certain kind of man.
    (I have a feeling he also likes the boots. Sorry, that's a harrrrd nope from me, Syril. Approach respectfully next time, with tribute.)
    Absolutely not the way I saw their arc going, but throws a whole new bunch of possibilities up, and Syril might wind up destroying them both.  I don't know why, but I still don't really understand Syril's arc. To me, the best I can figure, with this episode he's moved into the wild card slot.  A well-executed hunt or a well-designed rebel plot can go completely haywire if he shows up.  Shoot, at this point, between being wound so tight and being ridiculously hen-pecked by his "mother" (I use the term very loosely), I'd not be surprised if he turns into the Star Wars Joker at this point.
  • ISB are onto the idiot rebel leader's power station caper, which could chalk up a serious loss for Luthen and the Rebels.
  • Back in the prison, and people are trying to nibble round the edges of the walls...
  • ...but ain't nobody getting out. And the Imps'd rather lose 100 men at once than try to subdue a floor, because they don't have the manpower to do it. Or at least, they'd have to call in a garrison, and that probably wouldn't go down well.  Executing a shift of men could have been a major reminder to the rest of the complex that you don't mess with the guys in charge, but covering it up instead (badly) shows desperation and vulnerability.
  • Good scenes with Serkis questioning then shifting allegiances (unless he's planning a little bit of backstabbing later on...)  I now understand why the brought Serkis in to play a role that I thought was minor.  They needed someone with the power of presence and the skill to show that mental shift organically.
  • We've still got no idea what they're building or why the hurry. Any Imperial lore folk want to take a guess? It's in bulk, so it could be fighter parts or construction materials. Or we'll never know, and it's just symbolic of mindless, repetitive work.  Some elsewhere speculated that the items where the core of the TIE fighter wing joints.  I've looked at multiple models of the TIE fighters and it doesn't seem to match, six-point layout aside.  Something to do with the Death Star makes sense.  The sheer volume of items produced by 7 prisons with 7 floor, etc.  working for years on end would seem to suggest volume the size of a small moon.  Of course, there's always the possibility of tedious labor:  Some of the other prisons might be receiving the finished product and told to disassemble and pack them.  Move the rock pile to one side of the prison.  Now move it back.  Considering how smartly this show has been written, my money is on these being important to something, though, like Snoke, we may have a long wait to find out the backstory.
  • We have three episodes left for a prison break (presumably next week), and some kind of series finale with big ol' fireworks. That might be the power station gig, unless that's just written off as an ISB meeting.  Though I suspect the Serkis character will end up dead, wouldn't it be something if this was a turning point for him more than just the prison break, but in joining the rebel cause.  Have his own mini-series and then digitally insert him into the rebel crowd on Endor, right next to Captain Rex.

EDIT: Supplemental...

Hide contents

The more I think about it, the more that scene with Syril and Dedra genuinely disturbs me. I have been in that situation where guys step way over the line - and though I've dealt with it more or less the same way she did, it still left me shaken. It's great writing but not comfortable viewing.  Dedra's tolerance is remarkable.  Any other ISB agent, even her assistant, would have ordered Syril killed for that action, and exquisitely slowly at that.  Without alien death-wail headphones.  Hmm, when was the last time that Sarlacc in the shipbreaker yard on planet Bracca was fed?

Frankly, if he'd tried that s**t with me, he'd have wound up in that prison factory next to Andor. Which would have been a nice irony, I suppose. And not because he's a civ and I'm an Imp and I could do that. Because if I had the option, I wouldn't want to share the same star system with anyone like that for the rest of my days.  I'd love to have been a fly on the way during the producers meeting with actor Kyle Soller.  How would they have described the character's thought's, motivations, and overall arc?

One or two of my own thoughts:

Spoiler
  • Actor Christopher Fairbanks, who portrayed Ulaf, did an impressive job of playing an old man falling apart.  Even the death scene was believable, something that too often is not so in films.  It's wrong that he didn't get higher billing in the episode.  He's not even listed in the episode on IMDB (yet).
  • Perrin is played by Alastair McKenzie. HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THIS?  I loved Monarch of the Glen when it finally made it to this side of the Pond a decade ago.
  • I'm wondering if Tay will be the sacrifice to keep Mon from being revealed for rebel activity.  Whether voluntary or not.  Regarding Mon, we do know...
    Spoiler

Mon finally, publically declares she's resigning from the Senate and publically associating with the Rebellion in Season 3, episode 18 of Star Wars: Rebels.  Rebels covers years 5 to 2 BBY in the Star Wars lore, with each season representing a year.  So Mon's big reveal doesn't happen until toward the latter half of year 3 BBY.  Series 1 of Andor starts in 5 BBY, though admittedly its been months since the start.  Still, I don't think we're in year 3 BBY yet.  We're possibly still in 5 BBY, though an argument could be made for the first half of 4 BBY.  All that to say: Mon's not going anywhere just yet. Whatever the outcome, it will not be Mon fleeing for her life, though undoubtedly there will be a deflection.

Forgot to add:

Spoiler

Dedra has now stated the reason they've not interrogated Momma Andor:  she's too frail and she better serves as bait.  They have her residence under constant observation.  But that means that Cinta, who is also observing Maarva, is very, very close to the ISB observers.  Not a good spot to be in.

Edited by Techwright

Spoilers for spoilers...

Spoiler
17 hours ago, Techwright said:

I see your point, but actually, it does make sense.  Mon and Vel are apparently blood family, and so it might be easier for them to share certain patriotic/rebel viewpoints.

It makes sense, I just think it's overegging it a bit.

To me, the best I can figure, with this episode [Syril's] moved into the wild card slot.

My thoughts also. He's moved from something that could drive Dedra's cunning plot forward to potential spanner in the works. Emphasis on the "spanner" part.

That is, assuming [Dedra] survives.

I can't believe I'm (still) rooting for Dedra. But as Denise said in an interview, this is a deliberate choice by the writers and director that she was fully in on - and loved playing. And you'll find it harder and harder as she goes full-on nasty in search of success. People in this kind of org may still be people, doing their jobs, only obeyink orders etc, but that doesn't make what they're doing any less nasty.

...but covering it up instead (badly) shows desperation and vulnerability.

Going to the title and key line in Ep9: nobody's listening. They don't care about anything except hitting targets. They can get more men. So they probably haven't noticed or don't care about communication and co-ordination happening between floors and shifts - which have been specifically designed to prevent that. They also broke the system by starting to send people back in at the end of their sentence, and the system responded.

Though I suspect the Serkis character will end up dead, wouldn't it be something if this was a turning point for him more than just the prison break, but in joining the rebel cause. 

Heroic death and/or turncoat-then-death-anyway is more likely, and easier on the budget. Plus in this kind of ensemble cast you need to use the likes of Stellan and Forrest sparingly. But as people have already spotted, there's at least one of Andor's crew in the same prison who made it onto the Rogue One roster. 

Non-spoiler notes: there's an interview with Tony Gilroy and co with some good stuff on it that's just come up.

And, indeed, all power to Nina Gold for casting 190 speaking roles for the first half of the series.

Mostly with Brits, because locations, and probably price.

BTW, if you want to see more of Alex Lawther/Nemik (the manifesto kid), have a look for The End Of The F***ing World.

One other thing, which I'm slightly dreading asking.

What exactly is in Syril's "private box" that he's annoyed about his mother seeing?

(And how did an incel eating Cap'n Thrawny's Kosmic Krunch while being yelled at about his career prospects become some of the most compelling sci-fi in years?

Oh, right. Acting.)

12 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Non-spoiler notes: there's an interview with Tony Gilroy and co with some good stuff on it that's just come up.  That was a very good amalgam of interviews. Ali Plumb is, IMHO, the best movie interviewer in the business.  He's always a breath of fresh, intelligent air after watching a string of foolish, unskilled interviewers.

And, indeed, all power to Nina Gold for casting 190 speaking roles for the first half of the series.

Mostly with Brits, because locations, and probably price.

I've noticed the British accents dominate this show.  I've been watching and thinking "Wait... aren't you supposed to be Imperial if you speak with a British accent?" 😉

Seriously, though, it has been notable.  It might have been good to diversify the accents a bit, especially in the prison, just to show that prisoners come from all over.  However, I can understand the roster if it was filmed in Pinewood Studios, London.  (I suppose a few more Irish, Welsh and Scots accents weren't available?  Not even a French one?)  I'm happy the Brits got employment though.  They can't all work on Doctor Who.  Oh, wait, at 60 years running, yes they can.

One other thing, which I'm slightly dreading asking.

What exactly is in Syril's "private box" that he's annoyed about his mother seeing?

I'd joke and say stalking photos of ISB Supervisor Dedra Meero, but I'd not be surprised that it contains all his documentation on trying to track Cassian Andor.  Just needs yarn, pins, and a cork board.

By the way, did you notice that actress Denise Gough gave what appears to be a series spoiler?  Either that or she's laid a cunning trap.

9 hours ago, Techwright said:

"Wait... aren't you supposed to be Imperial if you speak with a British accent?"

Ali Plumb irritates me a little from being just a touch too deferential, but does seem to get some great quotes out of people. Similarly, whether Graham Norton's getting people drunk on his main shows or talking plainer on the, er, straighter radio interviews, he always gets good anecdotes. Some of it clearly prepped, not all of it...

I had a work friend who used to describe themselves to Americans as "bald... English... posh... basically, supervillain". We can roll with that. It's not like we haven't got form.

And yes, Americans do love it when I go cut-glass RP on them when giving orders.

(One, like Syril, just a little too much.)

Whovian/meeja luvvie side note: since the reboot, and particularly since the formation of the mighty Jane & Julie's Bad Wolf Productions, Who and their other shows (Dark Materials, Industry) have been giving a lot of people a lot of work. Slightly surprised they weren't in on Andor, but since they're co-owned by Sony now maybe there was some friction. But there's a hella decent talent pool going in the UK now. With the Disney co-production deal on Who there's going to be even more money to spread around: the House of Mouse has promised to be largely hands-off, but who knows how long that's gonna last.

I'm hoping Dedra has a proper demat/incinerator on her bins or Syril's going to have been through those. But I suspect you're right, it's some kind of hate-manifesto and pile of gleaned evidence against Cassian. Mixed with doodles of Dedra with lovehearts and maybe slightly higher boots.

And Denise wasn't wholly careful through the whole interview, but then again she's an Imp and not to be trusted.

Also, Stellan sounds like an absolute laugh to work with. Either that, or he likes the boots too... well, suppose he is Swedish and all.

Small bit of news today:

• Andor S2 starts filming at Pinewood on Nov 21.
  • Tom Bissell jumps from writing games (Gears of War) to writing 3 episodes.
  • Action will wind up on Yavin and bring together more of the Rogue Crew
  • Casting has deliberately been kept secret to avoid spoiling who makes it out of S1 - with the implication Denise, Kyle or even Stellan might not make it…

1 hour ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Small bit of news today:

• Andor S2 starts filming at Pinewood on Nov 21.
  • Tom Bissell jumps from writing games (Gears of War) to writing 3 episodes.
  • Action will wind up on Yavin and bring together more of the Rogue Crew
  • Casting has deliberately been kept secret to avoid spoiling who makes it out of S1 - with the implication Denise, Kyle or even Stellan might not make it…

Yavin as the series destination make a lot of sense.  Obviously somewhere along the line, Alan Tudyk will be back, hopefully sooner rather than later.  I do wonder if they let him play the K2SO unit a couple of episodes back, but just changed the voice.

Did they say how many episodes?  I know they're compressing 5 years of material down to two, due to Diego's desire to not play the role for so long.  I'd like to hope that they added a few more episodes so that it is pithy, but without the feeling of being overly rushed.

I had a work friend who used to describe themselves to Americans as "bald... English... posh... basically, supervillain". You just perfectly described my London-born boss from 2015-2016. 🤣 We can roll with that. It's not like we haven't got form.

And yes, Americans do love it when I go cut-glass RP on them when giving orders.

Yes, there's something about the Old World accents that fascinates most of us.  Actually, it extends to most anywhere in the Commonwealth.  I can't explain it.  What really shocked me was the recent discovery of YouTube videos where Brits were interviewed and admitted that they found American accents appealing (well except for those accents around New York City.  Some admitted they found them scary. 😁).  Being from the Carolinas, I was tickled when some pointed to this region to say they liked our accents above the others.  It makes a certain sense.  The linguists say that the Low Country (coastal to 100 miles inland) Carolina accents are quite close to the standard British accent during the American Revolution.