Question about powers coding

aethereal

Using Scrapper Energy Aura's Entropic Aura as our example case:

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=scrapper_defense.energy_aura.entropy_shield&at=scrapper

I noticed that this has two categories of power effect, "Activation effects" and "Standard effects."  I haven't gone hunting, but I assume that other powers also have these distinctions.  What's the difference here?  Anyone know?

This power also has a redirect to the Brute inherent Fury proc aura (https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=redirects.inherents.fury_proc_aura), last power effect on the Entropic Aura page.  That seems like an error, but my question is, is it a harmless error or a harmful one?  When a power redirects to another power, do you have to have that power?  Or does it execute regardless?  Does this do nothing because Scrappers don't have the Brute inherent, or does it execute the Brute inherent anyway?

Activation Effect Groups are effects that apply to self only and are auto-hit.  This is what guarantees an Energy Focus from Total Focus, or Momentum from Titan Weapons. Even if you miss, those mechanics will fire.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

Bopper's Tools & Formulas                         Mids' Reborn                       

13 minutes ago, Bopper said:

Activation Effect Groups are effects that apply to self only and are auto-hit.  This is what guarantees an Energy Focus from Total Focus, or Momentum from Titan Weapons. Even if you miss, those mechanics will fire.

Got it, so basically even the basic non-stacking +5% recharge time of Entropic Aura will only go into effect if it hits at least one target, since it's in Standard Effects rather than Activation Effects.

1 hour ago, aethereal said:

Anyone know about the power redirect?

Yeah. It is exactly how it sounds, a power is changed to a different power. Examples of such: Assassin's Strike, Snipes, Titan Weapons. All get redirected to slow or fast versions based on certain conditions.

PPM Information Guide               Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Super Pack Drop Percentages       Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers

13 minutes ago, Bopper said:

Yeah. It is exactly how it sounds, a power is changed to a different power. Examples of such: Assassin's Strike, Snipes, Titan Weapons. All get redirected to slow or fast versions based on certain conditions.

No, I mean the question from the original post -- when Entropic Aura redirects a Scrapper to a Brute inherent, does the power actually activate?  Or do you have to "have" the power that you're redirected to, so it's a no-op?

20 minutes ago, aethereal said:

No, I mean the question from the original post -- when Entropic Aura redirects a Scrapper to a Brute inherent, does the power actually activate?  Or do you have to "have" the power that you're redirected to, so it's a no-op?

I see. That's not actually a "power redirect", it is an "execute power". This gets confused a lot because the name of the executed power is listed as "Redirects.yada.yada". 

As for what the power is doing, I'm guessing it's a bug. It looks like the power is applying a taunt effect then on top of it does a 2nd taunt effect via the execute power. 

46 minutes ago, Bopper said:

I see. That's not actually a "power redirect", it is an "execute power". This gets confused a lot because the name of the executed power is listed as "Redirects.yada.yada". 

As for what the power is doing, I'm guessing it's a bug. It looks like the power is applying a taunt effect then on top of it does a 2nd taunt effect via the execute power. 

Yeah, it looks a lot like it's copy-and-pasted from Brute Energy Aura.  The Brute taunt (assuming it actually happens) is much stronger than the taunt in the actual power (13.6 second Mag 4 taunt from the Brute inherent instead of 2.25 second Mag 3 taunt from the actual power).