DM or EM for a beginner brute?

Idlemonk

Hey all! 
My family and I (dad, brother, and I) are all coming back to the game after discovering the homecoming servers earlier this month and are super excited to be playing again! We are trying to form a decent 3 man squad for leveling and gaming together, and I have chosen the tank role. I really like the way the brute feels (decent DMG, nice tankiness) but I’m torn on what to use as my primary.
I know EM just got a rework and is really good now, but DM feels SO nice to play! Last time I played I was 4 years old so coming back around 20 years later I’m a bit blind. Does anyone have any advice between the two? And which secondaries should I pair them with? thanks in advance, this community is already so awesome!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Idlemonk said:

Hey all! 
My family and I (dad, brother, and I) are all coming back to the game after discovering the homecoming servers earlier this month and are super excited to be playing again! We are trying to form a decent 3 man squad for leveling and gaming together, and I have chosen the tank role. I really like the way the brute feels (decent DMG, nice tankiness) but I’m torn on what to use as my primary.
I know EM just got a rework and is really good now, but DM feels SO nice to play! Last time I played I was 4 years old so coming back around 20 years later I’m a bit blind. Does anyone have any advice between the two? And which secondaries should I pair them with? thanks in advance, this community is already so awesome!

EM if you like to knock sh** out cold. lol - dm if you like writhing bad guys in fear and darkness.

If you go EM a great suggestion would be EM/ EA

Arclyte - Brute (Energy Melee - Energy Aura).mxd

Like that one.  Can tank every bit as good as any tanker.

Claws/Fire if you want to try something other what you mentioned though you might steal the thunder with tanking -and- damage soon as you reach 28, but thanks to Claws soon as you hit level 6.

DM is fine if you like it, nothing is truly wrong (even bad sets like Kinetic Melee).

EM is a beast but you need to reach 32 to get the last heavy hitter. My main is an EM/Fire with EM providing the ST and Fire Armor providing the AoE but Claws/Fire is my alt main since it examplars all the way down to the teens thanks to Claws.

You can also look into Ice Melee since it has a forgiving early rotation and you can stretch your early squishyness a lot by planting an Ice Patch at every spawn.

Rad Melee just needs Irradiated Ground filled with damage procs, but it's a much more slow pace and though Irradiated Ground is a beast it procs at random which is less nice than just opening with BU + an AoE to quickly neuter half a group.

If you want to feel completely impervious (unlike Fire Armor that asks for the occasional inspiration) you can try Stone Armor. It's pretty sturdy though I found it squishy in the late game. Can't do Claws with it, but Rad Melee paired really well with it.

For a new player I think Radiation Armor would have a lot of goodies like Radiation Therapy and a shield making it pretty durable (but still wanting the occasional inspiration).

Oof those are good suggestions, I used to play a Claws/Regen scrapper and the sound effects on claws just brings all the nostalgia back. I might just have to make a claw/fire brute now since you hyped it up so much! Do you know of a good build I could follow for that? I am trying to incorporate secondary pools into my builds lately, but I am really green on the numbers aspect of it all, but I would love to min max someday haha

28 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

EM if you like to knock sh** out cold. lol - dm if you like writhing bad guys in fear and darkness.

If you go EM a great suggestion would be EM/ EA

Arclyte - Brute (Energy Melee - Energy Aura).mxd 5.3 kB · 1 download

Like that one.  Can tank every bit as good as any tanker.

Yeah I was messing with an EM brute till like level 4 but I keep getting pulled away by all these other options. I might just have to go back to him and get a bit higher to really get a feel for it. Thanks so much!

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Idlemonk said:

Oof those are good suggestions, I used to play a Claws/Regen scrapper and the sound effects on claws just brings all the nostalgia back. I might just have to make a claw/fire brute now since you hyped it up so much! Do you know of a good build I could follow for that? I am trying to incorporate secondary pools into my builds lately, but I am really green on the numbers aspect of it all, but I would love to min max someday haha

This is the 'normal' build, but expensive for a new player (do check the guide in my signature and maybe pass italong to your family).

Spoiler

This Villain build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Brute
Primary Power Set: Claws
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Swipe -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(11), StdPrt-ResKB(11)
Level 2: Blazing Aura -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(15), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 4: Slash -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(31), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(40), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), TchofDth-Dam%(40), AchHee-ResDeb%(42)
Level 6: Spin -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-%Dam(45), Erd-%Dam(45)
Level 8: Follow Up -- Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(27), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Hct-Acc/Rchg(29), GssSynFr--Build%(29), Hct-Dam%(31)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25)
Level 12: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(21), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(23), Prv-Absorb%(25)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(33), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(34), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 18: Focus -- Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(34), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Apc-Acc/Rchg(36), Apc-Dam%(36), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37)
Level 20: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(37), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(37), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(39), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(39), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(39)
Level 22: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 24: Evasive Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 28: Burn -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(43), Erd-%Dam(43), Arm-Dam%(43), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(45)
Level 30: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 32: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(50), TtnCtn-ResDam(50), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 35: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I(A), RctRtc-ToHit(46), RctRtc-Pcptn(46)
Level 38: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(46)
Level 41: Physical Perfection -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(47), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 47: Superior Conditioning -- PrfShf-End%(A)
Level 49: Temperature Protection -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 1: Fury
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A), Clr-RunSpd(7)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(17), Mrc-Rcvry+(19)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(19)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Clr-EndRdx(A), Clr-RunSpd(47)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon
Level 50: Born In Battle
Level 50: Invader
Level 50: Marshal
Level 50: High Pain Threshold
Level 22: Afterburner
------------

Bit late to get started on it now but I'll post a cheaper build tomorrow morning.

3 minutes ago, Sovera said:

This is the 'normal' build, but expensive for a new player (do check the guide in my signature and maybe pass italong to your family).

Hide contents

Level 50 Magic Brute

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Swipe -- SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(11), StdPrt-ResKB(11)
Level 2: Blazing Aura -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(15), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 4: Slash -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(31), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(40), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), TchofDth-Dam%(40), AchHee-ResDeb%(42)
Level 6: Spin -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury%(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-%Dam(45), Erd-%Dam(45)
Level 8: Follow Up -- Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(27), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Hct-Acc/Rchg(29), GssSynFr--Build%(29), Hct-Dam%(31)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25)
Level 12: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(21), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(21), Prv-Heal/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(23), Prv-Absorb%(25)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(33), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(34), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34)
Level 18: Focus -- Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(34), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), Apc-Acc/Rchg(36), Apc-Dam%(36), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37)
Level 20: Consume -- SynSck-EndMod(A), SynSck-Dam/Rech(37), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(37), SynSck-Dam/Rech/Acc(39), SynSck-Dam/Acc/End(39), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(39)
Level 22: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 28: Burn -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(43), Erd-%Dam(43), Arm-Dam%(43), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(45)
Level 32: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(50), TtnCtn-ResDam(50), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50)
Level 38: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(46)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-ResDam%(47), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Temperature Protection -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A), Clr-RunSpd(7)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Clr-EndRdx(A), Clr-RunSpd(47)
------------

Bit late to get started on it now but I'll post a cheaper build tomorrow morning.

Hell yea! Thanks man, I’ll def start working on this! Appreciate the help!

10 hours ago, Idlemonk said:

Hell yea! Thanks man, I’ll def start working on this! Appreciate the help!

Not perfect, but leveling build. Once you start making money (I suggest sticking to the Ouroboros method in the guide in the signature to avoid outleveling a contact in the middle of an arc) start transitioning to the more expensive build.

Spoiler

Level 50 Magic Brute

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Swipe -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(3), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(3), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(7), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(9), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(9), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(11), GldArm-3defTpProc(11)
Level 2: Blazing Aura -- Mlt-Acc/Dmg(A), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Mlt-Dmg/Rchg(13), Mlt-Acc/EndRdx(15), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 6: Spin -- Mlt-Acc/Dmg(A), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx(31), Mlt-Dmg/Rchg(33), Mlt-Acc/EndRdx(42), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 8: Follow Up -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(27), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(27), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(29), GssSynFr--Build%(29), TchofDth-Dam%(31)
Level 10: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(25), Rct-ResDam%(47)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(33), RechRdx-I(48)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(33), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(34), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(34)
Level 18: Focus -- Dcm-Acc/Dmg(A), Dcm-Dmg/EndRdx(34), Dcm-Dmg/Rchg(36), Dcm-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(36), Dcm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), FrcFdb-Rechg%(37)
Level 22: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 28: Burn -- Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Obl-Dmg(42), Obl-Acc/Rchg(43), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-%Dam(45)
Level 32: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(50), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(50), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(50)
Level 38: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(46), RechRdx-I(47)
Level 44: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(48), Rct-Def(48)
Level 49: Temperature Protection -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Clr-EndRdx(A)
------------

Edited by Sovera

5 hours ago, Idlemonk said:

Is savage melee as good as claws? I was thinking maybe savage melee/FA instead of Claws/FA, or is the dmg difference too large?

Savage feels nice. Very fast recharges (using only the first three attacks) allows for T3, T1, T2, T1 rotation. But it's a DoT based set and it's not in a good coexistance with CoH's fast paced combat and low HP mobs like all DoT sets in all games. I remember playing WoW and accepting 1.5 GCD to cast a 16 second DoT would mean the mob had died before half of those 16 seconds had passed.

With me this is how it felt in the later game flailing my arms and seemingly not doing damage to a mob until all the DoTs started ticking and their HP bar would plummet.

But everything has its downsides and its upsides. Claws, for example, requires hitting with Follow-up for the boost and it is not uncommon to be debuffed to a point we cannot hit with it, but Savage has a traditional Build-Up power that allows to punch through and burst a pack of mobs down. This makes things like early Circle of Thorns and Council Vampyr easy for Savage and troublesome for Claws.

The good news is that Savage plays well with Brutes especially in the low levels. Not so good news is that we usually ignore DoTs and keep on hitting the thing until it dies anyway. Its 'flailing' gets solved by Burn who hits hard and doubles as single target and AoE skill.

Best news is that it is one of the only two sets in the melee arsenal that has two PbAoEs so we can do some lovely burst AoE on top of Burn. After those three have been used it is usually enough to have killed most things and be down to 3-4 mobs at which point just hitting the boss is enough while letting Burn take care of the others.

You should not overthink too much in my opinion. Just make what seems fun.

Edited by Sovera
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sovera said:

But everything has its downsides and its upsides. Claws, for example, requires hitting with Follow-up for the boost and it is not uncommon to be debuffed to a point we cannot hit with it, but Savage has a traditional Build-Up power that allows to punch through and burst a pack of mobs down. This makes things like early Circle of Thorns and Council Vampyr easy for Savage and troublesome for Claws.

Not sure I would say it is just early where debuffing overwhelms Claws: Follow-Up. Doing radio missions in PI just yesterday there were points where I was chain whiffing CoT because of the debuffs. I came close to wishing my plan for the character involved Focused Accuracy.

57 minutes ago, Erratic1 said:

Not sure I would say it is just early where debuffing overwhelms Claws: Follow-Up. Doing radio missions in PI just yesterday there were points where I was chain whiffing CoT because of the debuffs. I came close to wishing my plan for the character involved Focused Accuracy.

Same when I brought my level 48 Claws/Fire to Moonfire. I wanted to test its time versus the Fire/Stone Melee Tanker and found that I spent... so... much... time trying to hit the vampyr. Oh yeah, if I'd jump in, manage to land Follow-up and Spin followed by Burn then half the pack would be reduced to floating cinders.

Something with BU near ignores this with the major boost to ToHit that comes from it and Gaussian. Granted that just munching on a couple of purples at need would reduce being hit and thus the whiffing.

But CoT in the end game is why I always take Focused Accuracy even with the loss of power that comes from not taking Gloom.

36 minutes ago, Sovera said:

Same when I brought my level 48 Claws/Fire to Moonfire. I wanted to test its time versus the Fire/Stone Melee Tanker and found that I spent... so... much... time trying to hit the vampyr. Oh yeah, if I'd jump in, manage to land Follow-up and Spin followed by Burn then half the pack would be reduced to floating cinders.

Something with BU near ignores this with the major boost to ToHit that comes from it and Gaussian. Granted that just munching on a couple of purples at need would reduce being hit and thus the whiffing.

But CoT in the end game is why I always take Focused Accuracy even with the loss of power that comes from not taking Gloom.

Yep. If I got Follow Up and started alternating knockdown/back with Eviscerate and Shockwave, even purples were finished pretty handily. Possibly having Radiation Armor as my primary (Tanker character) helped too a bit due to its -Defense.