Open Club  ·  40 members

PC Builders

I recently decided to get back into re-hackintoshing my i7 (on a dedicated SSD/BIOS config), but ran into a few compatibility snags. This made me sad for a few reasons ($$ for one) as I didn't realize that little things like RMAing my GPU for a newer one (way back) was enough to push me into a hole. And then there's Apple being Apple and dropping native support in OSes for older hardware.

After thinking on it a bit, I started contemplating a completely new build, but with a more focused philosophy in mind. The only Real reason I 'want' one is to allow me to run Parallels / VMs for basic (possibly pointless) testing and to have a backup for when this 2012 MBP eventually fails. Originally, I went looking at deals on the latest Intel Macs, but damn these things still bite the budget even years later. Great for resale, bad for saving a buck. Now I think I've settled on what is essentially a Mac Mini, but in Hackintosh form. I've seen a few things online, but like many Hacks, the easy to find stuff isn't fully compatible to the point that I wouldn't get things like wifi OOB.

So I posit you this question. Does anyone have a good lead on a relatively painless build for such a concept? I came across the Reddit thing, but I'm not a fan of the site as it feels more like Twitter / FB in that people will read your stuff for the first few days and after that nobody comes back. That or it just gets buried from the bulk of the masses, reducing your visibility. I've also been on places like TonyMac(?) for a long time now and it feels like things aren't any better TBH. IDK, if I had any sort of Real budget that allowed for just buying a Mac, then this'd be simpler, but I'll be lucky to be able to build what I'm imagining here without having to spread the cost over a long period of time.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

So yeah, the more I looked into this, the more I realized that I'm liable to end up paying MORE to build the damned thing than I would to just grab a final gen intel Mac. Which is exactly what I did, but I blame PayPal as they gave me WAY too much credit on a whim and I paid a whole ~$50 interest to finance the thing for two years. The upside is that it's the newest computer in my personal possession, so if the older stuff fails, then I've got some time with this before it starts to show its age.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)