[Discussion] Wired/Wireless Gaming Headset

This is more for referral requests, but I think it's a good place for a general discussion of the topic as well, so I left the title more open. I considered a poll, but it may be Too broad for that.

As seen in the earlier thread, I've got a pair of the original Sony Gold Wired/Wireless gaming headset that I've just began having to replace parts on. So what I'd like to discuss are how they might compare to Anything on the market as well as comparable alternatives. Nothing is really off the table, but below are my likes/dislikes.

My personal likes about them are as follows:

• Spoiler
    • Both Wired and Wireless (albeit, using a dongle)
    • Adjustable for those who don't have the biggest heads
    • Cover my entire ear (again, not the largest, but many headphones don't) with room to spare
    • Come in black
    • Very few lights
    • No boom mic (I really don't use the mic if I'm being honest)
    • Very minimal design that is really light weight and doesn't hurt my ears during long play sessions
    • Works with my PS, XB, Switch, Roku, etc (Mostly the PS / wireless and the Roku / wired)
    • 7.1 Surround Sound with the PS
    • Good RF range
    • <$100

And then there's the gripes:

• Spoiler
    • Wireless only because of a dongle (PS restriction?)
    • Not bluetooth
    • Dongle eats up a USB port
    • Material is delicate and basically shreds
    • Micro-USB charging port
    • 7.1 SS is Only when connected to PS (but they otherwise sound good in stereo with my Roku)
    • Might be a little Too easy to adjust the size

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Now these I bought for work actually, but figured I'd put some input as they're designed for gaming. The requirements I chose for work were that they had to be wired, needed an external controller, the controller needed to be detachable in the event of replacing the headphones, the controller had to be USB, the mic had to be adjustable, the headphones had to be covering my ears and adjustable as well. Unfortunately, they can't replace my Sony Golds because they're not wireless at all.

Razer Kraken Tournament Edition THX 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset

The Good:

Spoiler
  • Corded (USB / 3.5mm Jack)
  • Works on everything without drivers for the basic features (mute, volume, etc) 
  • Removable DAC / controller
    • DAC is USB with standard 3 (?) pole 3.5mm jack
    • DAC is mostly analog style
  • Headphone has inline controls as well that appear to be independent of the DAC
  • Durable cords
  • Boom mic is adjustable / retractable / noise cancelling (with software?)
  • 7.1 Surround Sound (with drivers?)
  • Large 50mm drivers
  • Very comfortable for moderate sessions (6-8 hrs)
  • Completely cover my ears
  • Adjustable and will stay put when adjusted
  • Minimal lighting
  • Black

The Room for Improvement:

Spoiler
  • Not wireless (so not comparable to the Golds) 
  • Long sessions can lead to moderate pressure on the head from the earcuffs (8+ hrs)
  • (For those that care and happen to have hair) You Will be able to tell that you've been wearing them for long hours when you look into the mirror 😉
  • A little easy to fidget the inline volume if you're not paying attn

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

• 5 months later

Assuming anyone reads this later, I eventually found an awesome replacement to the Golds that works on, well, Everything. A little on the higher price range, but vs buying two separate headsets (PS/XB), it works out fine. They have both custom RF DAC (USB cords instead of dongle) and BT for connectivity. Also has an audio in/out feature as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZW52XSQ?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_1DVNEVB9TA02VE3TDR55&th=1

• 1 year later

Just following up with this was the Best decision ever for a multi-purpose headset! I can leave it connected to both console and dynamically switch between the two. It comes with two batteries, one charges in the head unit and the other goes in the "easy to access" earpiece. If you swap it fast enough, then it'll reconnect on its own. The earpiece simply has a metal / magnetic cover that you can remove with your nail and the head unit stores it in an NES style, spring loading mechanism. Note that you Must get the Xbox version if you have the XB console as it's the only way to have a passthrough. It also has more connections than the two USB jacks. I can Also run a USB cable from the non-XB port to my PC and use it that way. All while Also being fully BT compatible!