Dual Blades - where to put Critical Strikes?

Stormwalker

So, I have two DB scrappers, a DB/WP at level 44 and a DB/SR at level 33.  And I've run into a problem on both of them that is giving me a bit of a headache.

Where the heck should I put the Critical Strikes proc?

The DB/WP runs Blinding Feint -> Attack Vitals.  I currently have the Critical Strikes proc in Vengeful Slice, which means it is consistently up for Sweeping Strike (which is the only AoE in the attack chain).  This works OK, except that since the proc triggers fairly early in Vengeful's animation, Critical Strikes is only up for the immediately following attack, and not the one after it.  That's... less than ideal.  But it still seems to be the best option in this case.

The DB/SR is a bit messier.  She runs Blinding Feint -> Ablating Strike -> Sweeping Strike -> Ablating Strike.  I initially put the proc in Ablating Strike, to give it the most opportunities to fire, but the proc rate is abysmal.  Hardly ever procs.  So I tried moving it to Blinding Feint.  Proc rate there is only slightly better.  Still very bad.  I don't really want to put it in Sweeping Strike because then I don't have the effect for Sweeping Strike.  So this makes me wonder if the proc is even worth it at all for my DB/SR.

I admit that I am too lazy to do the math myself if I can at all help it, so I'm hoping one of y'all out there who plays a lot of DB already knows the answers here and can save me the trouble.

Edited by Stormwalker

Blinding Feint for sure.  My DB/SR is procc'd to the gills and it fires all the time in Blinding Feint with no recharge slotted in it.  Or any attacks for that matter aside from couple I just use for aoes. 

• Like 2

Here is his build.  Just a straight DPS monster.  Just have thousand cuts for more aoe.  Blinding feint, sweeping strike, thousand cuts is a fun aoe chain that all get the proc.  I do blinding feint + attack vitals for single target.  I've found since the combos don't miss anymore that it is just as good as the three attack chain but more fun.  I can  still do it with this build if needed.  Don't even need to use hasten either.  Fun build.

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Dual Blades
Secondary Power Set: Super Reflexes
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Slice -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(37), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Rchg(43), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(3), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(3), RedFrt-Def(46), RedFrt-EndRdx(46)
Level 2: Focused Senses -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-EndRdx(5), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(5), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(21), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(45), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 4: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 6: Ablating Strike -- HO:Nucle(A), DS:DSyncDamEnd(7), Mk'Bit-Dam%(7), AchHee-ResDeb%(9), TchofDth-Dam%(9), TchofLadG-%Dam(11)
Level 8: Agile -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(11), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17)
Level 10: Practiced Brawler -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Blinding Feint -- HO:Nucle(A), DS:DSyncDamEnd(13), GldStr-%Dam(13), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(15), TchofDth-Dam%(15), Mk'Bit-Dam%(17)
Level 14: Typhoon's Edge -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(19), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Arm-Acc/Rchg(21), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(23)
Level 16: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(23), LucoftheG-Def(25)
Level 18: Vengeful Slice -- GldStr-%Dam(A), TchofDth-Dam%(25), Hct-Dam%(31), HO:Nucle(31), DS:DSyncDamEnd(33), Mk'Bit-Dam%(33)
Level 20: Quickness -- Run-I(A)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(33), UnbGrd-Max HP%(34), Ags-Psi/Status(34), Ags-ResDam(34), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(36)
Level 26: Sweeping Strike -- HO:Nucle(A), DS:DSyncDamEnd(27), Obl-%Dam(27), Arm-Dam%(29), Erd-%Dam(29), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(31)
Level 28: Lucky -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 32: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37)
Level 35: One Thousand Cuts -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(40), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 38: Evasion -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Rct-Def(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx(43), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Rct-Def/Rchg(45)
Level 41: Elude -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 44: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Physical Perfection -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(48), PrfShf-End%(48), PwrTrns-+Heal(48), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(50)
Level 49: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit 
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(50), PwrTrns-+Heal(50)
Level 50: Musculature Core Paragon 
Level 50: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 50: Portal Jockey 
Level 50: Task Force Commander 
Level 4: Afterburner 
------------

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Thrax said:

Here is his build.  Just a straight DPS monster.  Just have thousand cuts for more aoe.  Blinding feint, sweeping strike, thousand cuts is a fun aoe chain that all get the proc.  I do blinding feint + attack vitals for single target.  I've found since the combos don't miss anymore that it is just as good as the three attack chain but more fun.  I can  still do it with this build if needed.  Don't even need to use hasten either.  Fun build.

I see the problem now.  I had full Critical Strikes slotted in Blinding Feint and it has way too much recharge in it and was nuking the proc rate.

Looking at slotting it as follows (obviously won't have the superior versions until level 50, though)

Superior Critical Strikes: Recharge/+50% Critical Rate Proc

Superior Critical Strikes: Acc/Dam (picking up the 4% recovery set bonus)

Superior Blistering Cold: Acc/Dam

Superior Blistering Cold: Dam/End (picking up the 15% slow resist set bonus)

Gladiator's Strike: Chance for Smashing Damage

Mako's Bite: Chance for Lethal Damage

(alternately, considering slotting Adjusted Targeting: To-Hit Buff/End instead of the Mako's Bite.  I'm not sure the Mako's Bite proc will contribute enough damage to be worthwhile).    Never mind, looked it up in Mids' and the Mako's proc is better than I remembered it being.

Looks like (according to Mids) it will still recharge fast enough to make the attack chain go.  I lose a bit of global recharge, but still only have a 3.5 second Hasten gap, that's not terrible.  Also lose a bit of Accuracy, but I have Focused Accuracy so I am not at all concerned about that.

And if anyone wonders how I am running this attack chain on a level 33, obviously it's not gapless yet.  But it will be at 50, and right now I still have enough endurance problems that I don't really want it to be gapless just yet!

Edited by Stormwalker

49 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I have the full Sup Scrap Crit Strike set in Blinding Feint on my db/nrg scrapper. No clue what that actually means for the +crit proc chances. Runnin BF, SS, AS, repeat she's killin fast enough that I never thought to look.

I was getting a pretty terrible proc rate, though I only ran it that way for a couple of missions so it's possible it's a matter of small sample size and I was just unlucky.  Mids doesn't show me the proc rate for that particular proc for some reason.

26 minutes ago, Stormwalker said:

I was getting a pretty terrible proc rate, though I only ran it that way for a couple of missions so it's possible it's a matter of small sample size and I was just unlucky.  Mids doesn't show me the proc rate for that particular proc for some reason.

*IF* I'm doing the math right from Bopper's Proc Calc equation, BF with a full set of Sup Crit Strike should have a 48% chance of firing the proc.

22 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

*IF* I'm doing the math right from Bopper's Proc Calc equation, BF with a full set of Sup Crit Strike should have a 48% chance of firing the proc.

Hmm.  Now I wish I'd left it that way so I could test it more, because I wasn't getting anywhere close to that.  I was getting maybe 1 proc in 3, probably not even that much.  I assume if it was that bad, you'd probably have noticed it on your DB/Energy, so I was probably just having a (fairly long, but not impossible) string of bad luck.

10 minutes ago, Stormwalker said:

Hmm.  Now I wish I'd left it that way so I could test it more, because I wasn't getting anywhere close to that.  I was getting maybe 1 proc in 3, probably not even that much.  I assume if it was that bad, you'd probably have noticed it on your DB/Energy, so I was probably just having a (fairly long, but not impossible) string of bad luck.

Went and took down a pylon, had one string of 3 crit strikes in a row and another where BF hit 5 times but no crit strike but all in all, yea, 48% feels about right, every other hit proc goes off or so. The fact that I had three in a row implies there's no weird cooldown thing happening. Not sure of that though. 2nd pylon I had a 4 crit strikes in a row streak.

3 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Went and took down a pylon, had one string of 3 crit strikes in a row and another where BF hit 5 times but no crit strike but all in all, yea, 48% feels about right, every other hit proc goes off or so. The fact that I had three in a row implies there's no weird cooldown thing happening. Not sure of that though. 2nd pylon I had a 4 crit strikes in a row streak.

Thanks for checking it.  Looks like I will have to re-acquire those pieces so I can try it again myself.  The set bonuses on Critical Strikes are too good to miss out on if I can help it.

Oh, well, since I already have something in those slots, I can afford to bid and wait to get them at a good price, at least.

I think this is my current build.  It's in Blinding Feint, which has no +rchrg IOs in it.  I believe I was getting 1.15-1.20 Pylon times, have to go back and check again.

Level 50 Magic Scrapper
Secondary Power Set: Stone Armor
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Slice -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Rock Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(3)
Level 2: Ablating Strike -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(7), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Hct-Acc/Rchg(9), AchHee-ResDeb%(11)
Level 4: Earth's Embrace -- Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(A), Prv-Heal/Rchg(11), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(13), Prv-Heal(13), Prv-Absorb%(15), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(15)
Level 6: Stone Skin -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-Max HP%(17), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(17), ShlWal-Def(19), DefBuff-I(19), Ksm-ToHit+(21)
Level 8: Blinding Feint -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(21), GssSynFr--Build%(23), GldStr-%Dam(23), TchofDth-Dam%(25), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(25)
Level 10: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 12: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(27)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 16: Rooted -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(27), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Pnc-Heal(29), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(31)
Level 18: Typhoon's Edge -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(31), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Arm-Acc/Rchg(33), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(33)
Level 20: Crystal Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(33), LucoftheG-Def(34), PrfShf-End%(34), PrfShf-EndMod(34), EndMod-I(36)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A)
Level 26: Sweeping Strike -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(36), Obl-%Dam(36), Erd-%Dam(37), Arm-Dam%(37), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(37)
Level 28: Minerals -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 30: Weave -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/Rchg(39), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx(39), Rct-ResDam%(40), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 32: Mud Pots -- SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(A), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(40), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(43)
Level 35: Brimstone Armor -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 38: Zapp -- StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(A), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(43), StnoftheM-Dam%(43), Dcm-Build%(45), Apc-Dam%(45), GldJvl-Dam%(45)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(46), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Rgn-Knock%(50)
Level 44: Geode -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(48), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(48), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(48), Pnc-Heal(50)
Level 47: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 1: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(5), EndMod-I(5)
Level 12: Speed Phase 
Level 49: Quick Form 
Level 50: Ageless Radial Epiphany 
------------

• 8 months later
On 7/3/2022 at 12:32 PM, Thrax said:

Level 50 Natural Scrapper
Secondary Power Set: Super Reflexes
Power Pool: Flight
Ancillary Pool: Body Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Power Slice -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(37), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Hct-Acc/Rchg(43), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 1: Focused Fighting -- RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(A), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(3), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(3), RedFrt-Def(46), RedFrt-EndRdx(46)
Level 2: Focused Senses -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-EndRdx(5), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(5), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(21), RedFrt-EndRdx/Rchg(45), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(46)
Level 4: Fly -- WntGif-ResSlow(A)
Level 6: Ablating Strike -- HO:Nucle(A), DS:DSyncDamEnd(7), Mk'Bit-Dam%(7), AchHee-ResDeb%(9), TchofDth-Dam%(9), TchofLadG-%Dam(11)
Level 8: Agile -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(11), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(17)
Level 10: Practiced Brawler -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Blinding Feint -- HO:Nucle(A), DS:DSyncDamEnd(13), GldStr-%Dam(13), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(15), TchofDth-Dam%(15), Mk'Bit-Dam%(17)
Level 14: Typhoon's Edge -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(19), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Arm-Acc/Rchg(21), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(23)
Level 16: Dodge -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(23), LucoftheG-Def(25)
Level 18: Vengeful Slice -- GldStr-%Dam(A), TchofDth-Dam%(25), Hct-Dam%(31), HO:Nucle(31), DS:DSyncDamEnd(33), Mk'Bit-Dam%(33)
Level 20: Quickness -- Run-I(A)
Level 22: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(33), UnbGrd-Max HP%(34), Ags-Psi/Status(34), Ags-ResDam(34), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(36)
Level 26: Sweeping Strike -- HO:Nucle(A), DS:DSyncDamEnd(27), Obl-%Dam(27), Arm-Dam%(29), Erd-%Dam(29), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(31)
Level 28: Lucky -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(36), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(36)
Level 30: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(42)
Level 32: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(37)
Level 35: One Thousand Cuts -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(39), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(40), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 38: Evasion -- Rct-ResDam%(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(39), Rct-Def(39), Rct-Def/EndRdx(43), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(45), Rct-Def/Rchg(45)
Level 41: Elude -- ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(A)
Level 44: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 47: Physical Perfection -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(48), PrfShf-End%(48), PwrTrns-+Heal(48), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(50)
Level 49: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(50), PwrTrns-+Heal(50)
Level 4: Afterburner 
------------

Necro a bit, but I wanted to clarify this: DB’s combos can’t miss now? Does that make it so standard combos can match the DPS of BF > AS > SS > AS?

10 hours ago, StriderIV said:

Necro a bit, but I wanted to clarify this: DB’s combos can’t miss now? Does that make it so standard combos can match the DPS of BF > AS > SS > AS?

The attacks can still miss but they couldn’t toward completing the combo even if they miss, so you’ll always be able to complete and execute the last part to get the effect. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrax said:

The attacks can still miss but they couldn’t toward completing the combo even if they miss, so you’ll always be able to complete and execute the last part to get the effect. 

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying Thrax. So I’m guessing max recharge for the the attack chain I stated above will still put DPS traditional combos?

9 minutes ago, StriderIV said:

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying Thrax. So I’m guessing max recharge for the the attack chain I stated above will still put DPS traditional combos?

No clue. I do know I find stack vitals more fun than the three repeating attacks. And attack vitals hits multiple targets with the added dot as well.   Against and AV I’m unsure. It’d say it’s pretty close but only guessing. Don’t mess with pylons and such. 

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Since this thread has freshly risen from the grave, can someone post what the optimal attack chain +global recharge is?

Just set brawl on auto and call it good.

Real reply. Procced out? Got my best results with: BF-SS-NS-AS-BF-SS (Does the Empower Combo)

Non-Procced: BF-AS-SS-BF

I can't remember the recharge you'd want to do either of those smoothly. I just remember I have to include NS in the procced chain since global recharge isn't high enough for the other with the way I build.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

Just set brawl on auto and call it good.

Real reply. Procced out? Got my best results with: BF-SS-NS-AS-BF-SS (Does the Empower Combo)

Non-Procced: BF-AS-SS-BF

I can't remember the recharge you'd want to do either of those smoothly. I just remember I have to include NS in the procced chain since global recharge isn't high enough for the other with the way I build.

I do like that the proc’d build allows you to still leverage combos (which is just cool). Probably the way I’ll go until they nuke procs, if they ever do.

Edited by StriderIV
  • Like 1