Spinning melee attack(s) issue

RikOz

I've been encountering an oddity with the various PBAoE melee attacks that have the animation wherein the character leaps into the air and spins 360 degrees, hitting every enemy in range:

Battle Axe: "Whirling Axe"

Broad Sword: "Whirling Sword"

Claws: "Spin"

War Mace: "Whirling Mace"

Energy Melee: "Whirling Hands"

There may be others that I'm not thinking of.

Anyway, here's the issue. Very often (but not every time) I initiate the attack, my character goes through the animation, I hear the sound effect of the attack successfully hitting the target(s) ... but nothing at all happens. No damage is dealt, which would suggest that I must have missed, except that the "MISS!" word does not appear. The target(s) doesn't perform any dodging animations. No target is affected by any secondary effect that can apply even on a miss.

It is especially noticeable when I use these attacks while surrounded by enemies, because when it happens, it "misses" every target in range. Missing every single eligible target with an AoE can happen, sure, but it's fairly uncommon for that to happen, and when it does I would normally see "MISS!" on every target. But when this thing happens, there is no feedback whatsoever--it's as if the attack simply didn't happen. Of course, I'm assuming that no target takes damage, because I don't see the health bar decrease for the specific enemy I have targeted, and of course the usual damage-dealt numbers are missing in action, just like the "MISS!" is missing.

I'll note that, as with the example powers I listed, it is mostly happening with weapon powersets. Or at the very least, it's most obvious with a weapon set. It might be happening with Fire Sword Circle, but I haven't specifically noticed it with that set.

The issue does not appear with Dual Blades "Typhoon's Edge" attack, as that power uses a different animation than the other powers listed. I also haven't noticed it with Katana's similar power, but that may also be using a different animation (not sure).

I've observed this issue specifically with brutes and scrappers. I have both a Claws stalker and an Energy Melee stalker, but I haven't happened to play the Claws stalker since I've noticed this, and the EM stalker is low level and does not yet have Whirling Hands.

Have had this happen regularly on my SR/Savage Melee Tank. Rending Flurry plays it's animation and sounds but nothing happens, no "Miss" or Damage Numbers and sadly it seems to happen more often when I have a stack of Blood Thirst boosting the attack. Rending Flurry is also a 360 Degree attack as you mentioned. I have not noticed this issue with any single target attacks, Shred which is a Cone Attack or Savage Leap which is a Targeted AoE/Teleport attack.

• Thumbs Up 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

I have the reverse of this happen sometimes with Spin on my Claws/SR scrapper.  The power doesn't animate, but the FX appear and the damage is dealt.  I've always assumed it was due to some kind of lag to the server and getting the response too late to play the animation.

• 2 weeks later

I have a variation of this issue on the same Character, Spring Attack from the Leaping pool plays it's animation, deals Damage, then 2 seconds later the targets get knocked down. It happens EVERY time, whereas Savage Leap is in perfect sync EVERY time and is almost the same attack. I don't think this is a Client side or Lag issue or it would happen to both powers.

Just weird.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 8/9/2022 at 12:44 PM, Marine X said:

I have a variation of this issue on the same Character, Spring Attack from the Leaping pool plays it's animation, deals Damage, then 2 seconds later the targets get knocked down. It happens EVERY time, whereas Savage Leap is in perfect sync EVERY time and is almost the same attack. I don't think this is a Client side or Lag issue or it would happen to both powers.

Just weird.

Marine, I just reported this on a different topic, it would be great if you also share your experience there (also the part where you noticed a difference with Savage Leap, which I didn't test, I saw a difference with Shield Charge instead, so your experience would be valuable and a real addition):

Edited by ThunderCAP